You will master essential techniques for quantity surveying and commercial management in construction. Exploring sustainable practices, cost planning, scheduling, and real-world challenges whilst you experience Birmingham's urban development through guest lectures, site visits, and practical projects.
Master vital skills for efficient project management, sustainable infrastructure, and construction cost insights on our dual accredited quantity surveying degree.
Location: Aston University, Birmingham
BSc (Hons) Quantity Surveying
You will master essential techniques for quantity surveying and commercial management in construction. Exploring sustainable practices, cost planning, scheduling, and real-world challenges whilst your experience Birmingham's urban development through guest lectures, site visits, and practical projects.
What we will provide
As part of your degree you will benefit from comprehensive support from both accreditation bodies CIOB and RICS, including access to a wide range of resources. We help to facilitate your Construction Skills Certification Scheme attainment, an industry requirement for health and safety which is strongly desired when seeking placement opportunities. You’ll gain access to industry-standard software like costX and external certification collaborations will enhance your qualification opportunities and placement prospects, prioritising your learning and professional growth.
We are an Adobe Creative Campus meaning you will have access to top-notch software licenses, including Adobe and Solidworks, commonly used in industry. To find out more, visit here.
What you will provide
We value students who actively participate in industry lead events such as talks and networking, are happy to collaborate effectively across sectors, communicate proficiently, and embrace self-directed learning. Showing initiative and an openness to job shadowing are valuable assets, summer internships, and short placements help contribute to a comprehensive, industry-ready skill set.
What skills we teach
Your degree will cover vital skills needed for a successful career such as communication, ethics, social responsibility, inclusivity, and diversity. You'll develop report and writing skills as well as technical proficiency including construction technology, procurement, cost finance, software/cloud expertise, health and safety, materials, surveying, and digital construction for a comprehensive industry toolkit.
Compulsory placements on this degree will enhance your course and portfolio experience. Notable success stories from previous years include placements at Turner and Townsend, Balfour Beatty, RG Constructions, and Atkins, this year within industry will ensure real-world experience and industry connections are established and give you a head start against others.
Our quantity surveying graduates are highly sought-after, often securing roles with their placement companies. The versatile skills you will gain are even appealing beyond the industry, offering opportunities in finance, logistics, and management. Recent roles include Quality Engineer, Risk Advisory Consultant, Building Control Surveyor, and Structural Engineer, with graduates excelling in notable companies like Jaguar Land Rover, Royal Mail, and more.
Teaching won’t just be lectures, you’ll have workshops, guest lectures, and visits to relevant sites to make sure your understanding is grounded in industry, ensuring you are ready for the working world when you graduate.
Complete your practical work in our brand new, state of art laboratory facilities in highway engineering, materials and structures, the latest industry-standard engineering software packages, and a well-resourced and staffed library.
- Provides you with the opportunities to realise your academic potential through appropriately conceived learning experiences.
- Prepares you with a thorough grounding in the basic principles and associated practices required by the construction industry with particular emphasis on relevant quantity surveying skills.
- Provides you with a structured curriculum, combining teaching in theoretical and knowledge-based principles with practical skills training
- Enables you to have the qualities and skills that are in demand by potential employers and who are able to make a valuable contribution to society in general;
- Provides you with the opportunity to obtain relevant industrial experience with the the option of a sandwich year; allowing you to develop working knowledge of the techniques and an understanding of the skills required by quantity surveyors and commercial managers within the construction industry
With any subjects:
BBC (standard offer)
BCC (with an EPQ or Core Maths at Grade B)
BCC (contextual offer)
With 1 science or technical subjects:
BCC (standard offer)
CCC (with an EPQ or Core Maths at Grade B)
CCC (contextual offer)
Science or Technical subject: Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Biology, Further Maths, Design Technology, Engineering Science, Electronics, Geography, Geology and Computer Science.
Aston Ready is our contextual offer scheme that could reduce your undergraduate offer by one or two grades. Assessed at the point of application, there are no additional forms to fill in.
- Extended Diploma and National Extended Diploma: DDM
- Extended Diploma in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering with an overall grade of Distinction
- National Diploma and Diploma: DM plus 1 A-level at minimum Grade B
- Diploma in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering with an overall grade of Distinction, plus an A Level in any subject at grade C
- Foundation or 90 credits Diploma: DM plus 2 A-level at minimum grade B National
- Extended Certificate or Subsidiary Diploma: M plus 2 A-level minimum Grade B
- Certificate/ National Certificate Level 3: Not accepted.
- 29 points and above with 5, 5, 4 in higher level subjects if no science or technical subject studied.
- 28 overall points with 5, 4, 4 in higher level subjects including a science or technical subject.
We accept the QAA-recognised Access Diploma which must consist of 45 credits at Level 3.
You must obtain a minimum of 30 distinction and the rest must be at merit or distinction.
Please note that we do not accept the English and Maths components within the Access qualification and you must meet the GCSE entry requirement.
The following T levels are accepted qualifications for this course:
- Design, Surveying and Planning for Construction Grade D
- Digital Production, Design and Development Grade D
- Building Services Engineering for Construction Grade D
- Onsite Construction Grade D
- Digital Business Services Grade D
- Digital Support Services Grade D
- Health Grade D
- Healthcare Science Grade D
- Science Grade D
- Design and Development for Engineering Manufacturing Grade D
- Engineering Manufacturing Processing and Control Grade D
- Maintenance, Installation and Repair for Engineering Manufacturing Grade D
Additionally to our Level 3 requirement, you will also need to have achieved:
GCSE Maths Grade B/5 and English Grade C/4 and above.
If the Level 3 qualification completed includes a preferred subject, the GCSE requirement is lowered to Maths Grade C/4 and English Grade C/4.
Fees and scholarships
|Annual tuition fees:
|During placement year:
|Annual tuition fees:
|During placement year:
Be part of our community
Once you have joined us at Aston University, you’ll always be part of our community, even beyond graduation.