Aston University's IMechE-accredited mechanical engineering program ensures your readiness for a prosperous post-graduation career. Mechanical engineers play a pivotal role in virtually all man-made creations, resulting in a growing demand for professionals in this field. Upon completion, you'll possess the expertise and skills required to excel in global engineering challenges. This program encompasses not only technical and scientific subjects but also valuable skills in project management, teamwork, commercial awareness, and leadership.
Engineers serve as practical innovators, addressing global and daily issues. Gain knowledge from experts at a renowned UK technical university.
Location: Aston University, Birmingham
4 or 5 years
MEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering
This degree at Aston University will equip you with the tools and confidence to develop ground breaking solutions to challenges you will face in the future.
What we will provide
You'll receive exceptional education in the UK's second-largest city, led by a diverse team of inspiring instructors. Our excellent facilities enable hands-on, practical learning, and we integrate years of industry collaboration to deliver real-world-oriented education. Additionally, you'll enjoy complimentary IMechE membership, offering chartership opportunities upon graduation, along with access to project materials.
What you will provide
Developing a growth mindset is vital for your academic journey. Recognise that intelligence and achievement result from the effort, and demonstrate critical thinking, ambition, and a drive for excellence.
What skills we teach
You'll establish a strong base of technical expertise, encompassing CAD, model construction (including 3D printing and foam work), and metalwork. Additionally, you'll hone essential interpersonal skills such as teamwork, communication, problem-solving, and ethical awareness.
Choosing the MEng year provides a chance to secure a valuable industry placement, enhancing specialised knowledge and professional growth. This experience grants a competitive advantage in the mechanical engineering field. While securing a placement is your responsibility, Aston University's Careers and Placements team offers robust support and maintains strong industry connections. Eligibility requires a minimum average mark of 50% in your third program year, and you can transition to the MEng program at any point during your BEng studies.
Aston University's mechanical engineering graduates are highly sought after by top global companies, securing roles like Graduate Mechanical Engineer, Development Engineer, Design Engineer, and Project Manager at firms like Jaguar Land Rover, Network Rail, BAE Systems, and Caterpillar Inc
My experience with Aston Racing
We spoke to formula student leader Sherjit about his experience at Aston Racing and why studying engineering at Aston was the best choice for him!
Mechanical engineering is a hands-on discipline, you learn through combining lectures with practical lab-based work and engineering workshops. You will master both individual learning and group work with like-minded peers, guided by industry professionals and technical experts. Our engineering facilities mirror these environments with state-of-the-art facilities.
Within the model shop
- Five 3D printers
- Maker space (with four additional 3D printers)
- Laser cutting
- Silicone moulding
- Vacuum forming and foam cutting
- Design Studio (an interactive space with PC’s and software)
- Clay modelling facilities for automotive design
- Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign
- Surface modelling using Solidworks and Keyshot
- Dedicated project-based learning space and bookable student booths, assembly areas and professional drawing boards
- Engine test lab (five engine test cells with hydraulic and electrical dynamometers, Kistler combustion analyser, emissions analyser)
- Fuel characterisation and preparation lab
- CNC Machine shop
- Plasma cutting facility
- Formula student garage & Shell Eco garage
- Biomedical research lab with tissue and cell preparation areas, fume cupboards and microscopy facilities
- Materials characterisation suite with advanced cyclic multi-axial testing equipment
- Desalination and water treatment research lab with under-floor drainage
- Solar array simulator
- Solar thermal simulator
Our Mechanical Engineering course offers a range of excellent support for students, including additional mathematics 1-2-1 development, peer-assisted learning, expert technicians, and personal tutors.
Here, you will learn through hands-on experience by, for example, designing and building towers, wind turbines, and cars which you can then race in our Formula Student and Shell Eco Marathon competitions.
- Provides you with the opportunities to realise your academic potential through a range of learning experiences.
- Develop your passion for engineering and an enthusiasm for learning through a practical approach.
- Provides you with a thorough grounding in the principles and practice of mechanical engineering including relevant aspects of societal, environmental, and commercial matters.
- Provides you an opportunity for advanced levels of study and a focus on skills and appreciation of the changing nature of engineering.
- Provides you with appropriately structured curricula, combining teaching and learning in theoretical issues with practical and digital skills training;
- Provides you with an up-to-date and professionally focused curriculum satisfying the accreditation requirements of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers.
- Enables you to obtain relevant industrial experience by providing the option of a sandwich placement year.
- Develops you to become a capable graduate engineer who is highly valued by employers.
- Provides masters level graduates who have advanced knowledge and skills to afford them the best opportunity to become engineering leaders.
BBB to include grade B in Maths and a Physical Science or Technology subject (standard offer)
BBC to include Maths, a Physical Science or Technology subject and grade B at EPQ or Core Maths
BCC to include Maths and a Physical Science or Technology subject (contextual offer)
Physical Science or Technology subject accepted: Physics, Further Maths, Design Technology, Chemistry, Engineering Science, Computer Science, Biology or Electronics.
Aston Ready is our contextual offer scheme that could reduce your undergraduate offer by one or two grades. Assessed at the point of application, there are no additional forms to fill in.
- Extended Diploma and National Extended Diploma (Science/Technical/Engineering types): DDM including the following units at Distinction (QCF): Mathematics for Engineering Technicians, Further Mathematics for Engineering Technicians OR (RQF): Engineering Principles, Calculus to Solve Engineering Problems.
- National Diploma and Diploma (Science/Technical/Engineering types): DM including the following units at Distinction (QCF): Mathematics for Engineering Technicians, Further Mathematics for Engineering Technicians. OR (RQF): Calculus to Solve Engineering Problems, Further Engineering Mathematics. This BTEC also requires 1 A-level at a minimum Grade B.
- Foundation or 90 credits Diploma (Science/Technical/Engineering type): DM plus 2 A-levels at a minimum grade B. Diploma should include the following units at Distinction if A level is not in Mathematics: (QCF) Mathematics for Engineering Technicians, Further Mathematics for Engineering Technicians. OR (RQF): Calculus to Solve Engineering Problems, Further Engineering Mathematics.
- Level 3 Diploma in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering with an overall grade Distinction plus an A-Level in any subject at grade C, with the following units at Distinction: - Mathematics for Engineering - Calculus to Solve Engineering Problems or Further Engineering Mathematics.
OR Achieve overall grade Distinction plus a BTEC Sub Dip/ Extended National Cert in any subject grade Merit, with the following units at Distinction: Mathematics for Engineering - Calculus to Solve Engineering Problems or Further Engineering Mathematics
OR Achieve overall grade Distinction plus an A-Level in Math at grade C.
- National Extended Certificate or Subsidiary Diploma (science/ technical/ engineering type): M plus 2 A-levels at a minimum Grade B. If 1 A Level is not Maths then the Diploma should include the following units at Distinction (QCF): Mathematics for Engineering Technicians, Further Mathematics for Engineering Technicians. OR (RQF): Calculus to Solve Engineering Problems, Further Engineering Mathematics.
- Certificate/ National Certificate Level 3: Not accepted.
31 overall points with 5, 5, 5 in higher level subjects including Maths and Physics at higher level grade 5.
Subject related Access with at least 30 Distinctions and 15 Merits at level 3 including at least 15 credits at Level 3 in Mathematics and at least 15 credits at Level 3 in Physical Science.
- Year 1 entry: We may consider applicants for year 1 entry who are undertaking a 1st year degree elsewhere. You must meet the GCSEs and A level (or equivalent) requirements as listed. In order to be considered you will need to submit a UCAS application as we do not accept direct applications and this must include an academic reference.
- Year 2 entry: Please note that second year transfers are not part of the standard admissions process and is up to the discretion of the admissions team and tutor. Applications are only considered if there is space on that year of the programme.
Typically, applicants for second year entry must meet the GCSEs and A level (or equivalent) requirements as listed. Alongside this you must have gained (or be expected to gain) 65% overall and 120 credits on an equivalent programme at another recognised university. The equivalency of the programme is reviewed by the Admissions Tutor and you will be required to provide an official copy of the programme specification of this. In order to be considered you will need to submit a UCAS application as we do not accept direct applications and this must include an academic reference.
- Year 3: We will not be able to consider any application for Year 3.
All candidates are considered on an individual basis and the whole application is reviewed which includes previous and predicted qualifications, any experience, references and motivation.
The following T Levels are accepted qualifications for this course:
- Design and Development for Engineering Manufacturing Grade D
- Engineering Manufacturing Processing and Control Grade D
- Maintenance, Installation and Repair for Engineering Manufacturing Grade D
Additionally to our Level 3 requirement, you will also need to have achieved:
GCSE English Grade C/4 and Maths Grade C/4
Fees and scholarships
|Annual tuition fees:||£9,250|
|During placement year:||£1,250|
|Annual tuition fees:||£21,100|
|During placement year:||£2,500|
Be part of our community
Once you have joined us at Aston University, you’ll always be part of our community, even beyond graduation.