The aim of our research is to better understand the anatomy and physiology of the anterior eye, through and allowing the design and evaluation of enhanced devices.
Research Expertise: key areas
Intraocular lenses; Cataract and Refractive Surgery; Contact Lenses; Dry Eye; Ocular Allergy; Ocular Biometry, Corneal Biomechanics and Ophthalmic Imaging and Technology
Our team has a broad range of skills and experience and comprises:
Academics: Prof James Wolffsohn; Dr Leon Davies; Dr Shehzad Naroo; Dr Amy Sheppard; Dr Janis Orr; Dr Mark Dunne; Dr Tom Drew; Dr Antonio Fratini and Dr Olivia Hunt
Ophthalmologists: Prof Sunil Shah (Midland Eye; Birmingham and Midlands Eye Centre), Mr Joseph Abbott (Birmingham Children’s Hospital), Mr Maged Nessim and Dr Sai Kolli (Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham)
Research Fellows: Dr Alec Kingsnorth; Dr Ben Coldrick; Dr Debbie Laughton; Dr Paramdeep Bilkhu; Dr Raquel Gil-Cazorla; Dr Emma Berrow; Dr Fabrizio Zeri
Research postgraduates: Madara Zvirgzdina; Said Karimzad; Maana Aujla; Laika Essa; Una Whitcomb; Rubinder Panesar; Nguyen Damiano; Dr Wan Haslina Wan Abdul Halim; Dr Meena Basta; Neelam Patel; Parminder Randhawa; Richa Saigal
Master Engineer: Mr. Graham Davies
Visiting Researchers: Prof Martin Rubinstein; Prof Michel Guillon; Prof Christine Purslow; Prof Edward Mallen; Dr Graeme Young; Dr Lee Hall; Dr Heiko Pult; Kevin Blake
Our intraocular lens (IOL), cataract and refractive surgery research involves clinical trials (of accommodating, multifocal and violet and blue-blocking IOL designs and femtosecond laser); development of enhanced methodology to assess depth of focus, contrast sensitivity and dysphotopsia; use of advanced instrumentation to evaluate objective accommodation, ocular aberrations and measure ocular biometry, and the development of a validated questionnaire regarding the restoration of near visual function in presbyopic eyes.
- Recent publications in the field of IOLs, cataract and refractive surgery include:Osipov V, Doskolovich L, Bezus E, Drew T, Zhou K, Sawalha K, Swadener G, Wolffsohn JS. Application of nanoimprinting technique for fabrication of trifocal diffractive lens with sine-like radial profile. Journal of Biomedical Optics. In press
- Berrow,E Wolffsohn,J Bilkhu,P Dhallu,S Naroo,A Shah,S. (2014) Visual performance of a new bi-aspheric, segmented, asymmetric multifocal intraocular lens. Journal of Refractive Surgery 30, 584-588.
- Wolffsohn,JS Jinabhai,AN Kingsnorth,A Sheppard,AL Naroo,SA Shah,S Buckhurst,P Hall,LA Young,G. (2013) Exploring the optimum step size for defocus curves. Journal of Cataract and Refractive surgery. 39, 873-880.
- Sheppard,AL Shah,S Bhatt,U Bhogal,G Wolffsohn,JS. (2013) Visual outcomes and subjective experience following bilateral implantation of a new diffractive trifocal intraocular lens. Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery. 39, 343-349Dhallu,S
- Sheppard,AL Wolffsohn,JS (2014) Evaluating the effect of splitting cylindrical power on improving patient tolerance to toric lens misalignment. Contact Lens and Anterior Eye. 37, 191-195.Bhogal-Bhamra,GK Wolffsohn,JS Sheppard,AL Naroo,SA Shah,S Buckhurst,P (2015) The effect of dilation on toric intraocular lens aligning and centring. Advances in ophthalmology and Visual Science 2, 00028.
Schmickler,S Palomino Bautista,C Goes,F Shah,S Wolffsohn,JS (2013) Clinical evaluation of a multifocal aspheric diffractive intraocular lens. British Journal of Ophthalmology. 97, 1560-1564.
The team's varied contact lens research activities include objective image analysis and grading of anterior eye features; unique non-invasive measurement of corneal oxygen consumption; thermographic and objective analysis of the tear film; clinical trials of monovision and multifocal designs; evaluation and development of novel materials and the impact on the tear film, and ocular surface.
Recent publications in the field of contact lenses include:
- Belda-Salmerón L, Drew T, Hall L, Wolffsohn JS. (2015) Objective analysis of contact lens fit. Contact Lens and Anterior Eye. In press
- Wolffsohn,JS Tharoo,A Lakhlani,N (2015) Optimal time following fluorescein instillation to evaluate rigid gas pearmeable contact lens fit. Contact Lens and Anterior Eye In press
- Wolffsohn,JS van der Worp,E de Brabander,J. (2013) Consensus on recording of gas permeable contact lens fit. Contact Lens & Anterior Eye. 36, 299-303.
- Best,N Drury,L Wolffsohn,JS (2013) Predicting success with silicone-hydrogel contact lenses in new wearers. Contact Lens and Anterior Eye. 36, 232-237.
- Hall,L Hunt,C Young,G Wolffsohn,JS (2013) Factors affecting corneoscleral topography. Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science. 54, 3691-3701.
- Wolffsohn,JS Drew,T Dhallu,S Sheppard,A Hofmann,GJ Prince,M (2013) Impact of soft contact lens edge design and midperipheral lens shape on the epithelium and its indentation with lens mobility. Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science. 54, 1690-1696.
Dry Eyes and Ocular Allergy
The team is a partner in the European Union Horizon 2020 funded European Dry Eye Network (EDEN) involving the training of 10 postgraduate students, the development of new instrumentation, treatment evaluation and an in-vitro tissue model.
Recent publications in the field of dry eyes and ocular allergy include:
- Bilkhu,PS Wolffsohn,JS Tang,GW Naroo,S. (2014) Management of dry eye in UK pharmacies Contact Lens & Anterior Eye 37, 382-387.
- Bilkhu,PS Naroo,SA Wolffsohn,JS (2014) Randomised masked clinical trial of the MGDRx EyeBag for the treatment of meibomian gland dysfunction related evaporative dry eye. British Journal of Ophthalmology 98, 1707-1711.
- Bilkhu,PS Naroo,SA Wolffsohn,JSW (2014) Effect of a commercially available wam compress on eyelid temperature and tear film in healthy eyes. Optometry and Vision Science. 91, 163-170.
- Papas,EB Ciolino,J Jacobs,D Miller,W Pult,H Sahin,A Srinivasan,S Tauber,J Wolffsohn,J Nelson,JD + (2013) The TFOS international workshop on contact lens discomfort: report of the management and therapy subcommittee. Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science. 54, TFOS183-203.
- Bilkhu,PS Wolffsohn,JS Naroo,SA Robertson,L Kennedy,R (2013) Effectiveness of Non-Pharmacological Treatments for Acute Seasonal Allergic Conjunctivitis. Ophthalmology. 121, 72-78.
- Bilkhu,P Wolffsohn,JS Taylor,D Gibson,E Hirani,B Naroo,SA. (2013) The management of ocular allergy in community pharmacies in the United Kingdom. International Journal of Clinical Pharmacy. 35, 190-4.DOI: 10.1007/s11096-012-9742-z
The team incorporates collaboration between mechanical, electrical and biomedical engineers as well as healthcare professionals. They have spun-out a business Aston EyeCare Ltd to commercialise their diagnostic systems, tablet and smartphone mobile app supported tests, portable instrumentation, software solutions and technical consultancy
Recent publications on instrumentation include:
- Wolffsohn JS, Drew T. (2015) Usability of Prostaglandin Monotherapy Eye Droppers. British Journal of Ophthalmology. In press.
- Kingsnorth,A Wolffsohn,JS (2014) Mobile app reading speed test. British Journal of Ophthalmology. In press
- Wolffsohn,JS Drew,T Sulley,A (2014) Conjunctival UV autofluorescence – prevalence and risk factors. Contact Lens and Anterior Eye 37, 427-430.
- Mandal,P Berrow,EJ Naroo,SA Wolffsohn,JS Uthoff,D Holland,D Shah, S (2014). Validity and repeatability of the Aladdin ocular biometer. British Journal of Ophthalmology. 98, 256-258.
- Bhatt,UK Sheppard,AL Shah,S Dua,HS Mihashi,T Yamaguchi,T Wolffsohn,JS. (2013) Design and validity of a miniaturised open-field aberrometer. Journal of Cataract and Refractive surgery. 39, 36-40.