We take great pride in our achievements. They’re testament to the hard work of our dedicated staff, and the ambition and enthusiasm of our students.
Guardian University of the Year 2020
Most recently, we've been named University of the Year 2020 by The Guardian. This award is judged by a panel of experts from across the higher education sector, taking into account academic excellence, widening participation and campus sustainability. Read more about our winning credentials.
THE Outstanding Entrepreneurial University 2020
We’ve also been named Outstanding Entrepreneurial University by the Times Higher Education awards 2020. The judges praised Aston’s “strategic” and “inclusive” cross-institutional approach to supporting businesses, the West Midlands region and student entrepreneurship.
Key accolades over the past few years include:
- Rated Gold by the Teaching Excellence and Student Outcomes Framework (TEF)
- Top 30 University (Guardian University Guide, 2021)
- Ranked 11th in the UK for Continuation, which measures how well Aston supports students (Guardian University Guide, 2021)
- Buildings That Inspire: Aston Students' Union (The Guardian University Awards, 2020)
- Outstanding Entrepreneurial University (Times Higher Education Awards, 2020)
- Silver Athena SWAN award for impact towards gender equality
- Top 20 for 3* and 4* rated impact by the Research Excellence Framework (REF).
What Our Students Say
We want Aston students to have a sense of belonging and wellbeing alongside a stimulating education with new possibilities and experiences. So we're really pleased to see the outcomes from the 2020 National Student survey: 83.37% overall satisfaction among all Aston students.
Sustainability is very important to us. Aside from our research into greener energy sources, we also educate students and staff on sustainability, and ensure our campus facilitates sustainable practices. 9th out of 154 UK Universities and Colleges (People and Planet University League Table, 2019)
Teaching Excellence and Student Outcomes Framework (TEF)
TEF is a UK government initiative. Our Gold Award shows we’re delivering consistently outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for our students. The TEF Panel found that students from all backgrounds achieve ‘consistently outstanding outcomes’ at Aston, with very high proportions of students going into highly skilled employment or further study.
Research Excellence Framework
Aston University has received ‘world leading’ and ‘internationally excellent’ accreditation for nearly 80 per cent of its research in the Research Excellence Framework 2014.
Other highlights include:
- Top 20 for 3* and 4* rated impact
- Ranked 5th of all UK universities under 50 years old for world-leading (4*) research.
We are pleased to hold the Athena SWAN Silver Award as an institution – a reflection of the impact we have started to make towards gender equality for both students and staff. We are working hard to sustain this and achieve Gold.