Accredited by the College of Mental Health Pharmacy (CMHP)
Written, taught and assessed by specialist mental health pharmacists
Work based practical programme of study which builds on and allows application of knowledge gleaned during the Certificate in Psychiatric Therapeutics
Gain eligibility for specialist clinical mental health posts in the NHS
Key information an fees
Mode of delivery: Distance learning - all course materials are delivered electronically.
Duration: 12 months
Start date: September 18th 2024
Application deadline: July 31st
Fees 2024/25: £3,900
The programme is accredited by the College of Mental Health Pharmacists (CMHP).
Speak to our Admissions Team
If you have any questions about the application process please get in touch with our postgraduate admissions team:
Call: 0121 204 3200 (Please note this line is open Monday-Friday between 10am-4pm)
Please click here for guidance on completing the postgraduate application.
What you will study
Practice-based clinical modules
- Introduction to Clinical Practice
- Clinical Interventions
- Formulary Development, Clinical Audit and Communication
Compulsory knowledge based components
- Psychological Therapies/Substance Misuse
- Pharmaco-Economics/Information Technology & Evidence Based Medicine
- Integrated Studies and Specialist Areas
In addition to the knowledge gained on this course, you will develop the following skills:
- Independent study
- Good time management
- Effective written communication
- Effective oral communication
- Effective information retrieval, organisation and presentation
Learning, teaching, assessment and staff
All course materials will be delivered electronically. You will encounter a range of learning methods, including:
- Study of authored text material, directed reading and self-assessed exercises
- Formative exercises and assignments
- Additional reading
- Participation in a multi-disciplinary forum (MDT)
Assessment is through assignments, clinical pro formas and oral case presentations.
Course Director: Dr Hannah Macfarlane
Teaching staff: Prof Ian Maidment, Adaora Ndu, Emma Bryant.
This qualification is often a requirement for specialist clinical mental health posts in the NHS.
“Specialist status” as deemed by Membership of the College of Mental Health Pharmacy is also increasingly expected for higher level clinical posts in the NHS. This diploma forms part of the pathway for this accreditation.