Study our dynamic accredited product design and management course and equip yourself with the skills to tackle future design challenges whilst integrating essential engineering knowledge to bring your products to life. Through live briefs with real companies, you will gain valuable industry exposure and hands-on experience, perfecting your problem-solving abilities and cultivating a strong professional network.
Product Design and Management
Unlock your creativity whilst shaping the future through innovation on our accredited product design and management course.
Location: Aston University, Birmingham
3 or 4 years
BSc (Hons) Product Design and Management
Our product design and management course will ensure you develop a range of industry-ready skills, preparing you for whatever future you have in mind, whether that’s in-house design or setting up your own business.
What we will provide
Our Product Design and Management course offers a range of perks such as membership to the Institute of Engineering Designers, use of first-rate software (Adobe, SolidWorks, KeyShot licenses), and 24/7 access to the Design Studio for all design students. With round-the-clock access to cutting-edge facilities, equipment, and materials, students can bring their ideas to life and engage in practical, contemporary projects.
What you will provide
We are looking for students who can embrace challenges, and have a passion for creativity and problem-solving whilst being able to learn from failure in a supportive environment. We value critical thinking, imagination, and time management skills as essential qualities for pioneering and driving innovation to diverse range of industries.
What skills we teach
During your time on our product design and management course, you will learn a comprehensive range of skills, including CAD proficiency, ideation tools for innovation, user-centered design, hand and digital sketching, prototype development, practical testing, model-making (3D printing/foam/clay), teamwork, communication, technical problem-solving, and critical thinking. Our program equips students with the multidisciplinary toolkit needed to excel in the ever-evolving field of product design and management.
We offer a highly encouraged placement year as part of the product design and management course. Previous students have successfully completed placements with renowned companies such as Cadbury, IBM, and Caterpillar, helping them to establish crucial industry connections. This valuable experience enriches your practical skills, enhances your employability, and provides real-world insights into diverse sectors, making you industry-ready upon graduation.
The career prospects for our product design and management course are hugely varied and rich in exciting opportunities. Previous year graduates have secured positions at esteemed companies such as LR (surfacing design), Seymour Powell, Dyson, Mattel (game design), and Cancer Research. The course also opens doors to managerial and leadership roles where design plays a central role.
We’re proud to boast world-class facilities that enrich our product design and management course no end. The design studio provides a collaborative and creative environment available to all design students 24/7 throughout the year, equipped with Wacom tablets, students can engage in interactive sketching. The model shop offers 3D printing capabilities, laser cutting, and water jet cutting for diverse project needs. Additionally, our wood shop facilitates hands-on craftsmanship and material exploration. These top-notch facilities will empower you to bring your design ideas to life with precision and innovation.
- Provides you with appropriately structured curricula, combining teaching and learning in theoretical design issues with practical skills training.
- Provides you with an up-to-date and professionally focussed curriculum; and offers you the opportunity to obtain relevant industrial experience by providing the option of a sandwich placement year.
- Provides you with a grounding in the principles of design management in technology, manufacturing, and concept development.
- Provides you with additional business and management content in market, intellectual property and product development management.
- Prepares you to be highly valued by a range of employers in both the product design and business management sectors.
BBC including a science or technical subject
BCC including a science or technical subject (with an EPQ or Core Maths at grade B)
CCC including a science or technical subject (contextual offer)
- Science and technical subjects accepted include: Art and Design, Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Design Technology, Engineering Science and Electronics
Aston Ready is our contextual offer scheme that could reduce your undergraduate offer by one or two grades. Assessed at the point of application, there are no additional forms to fill in.
- Extended Diploma and National Extended Diploma (science/technical/engineering types): DDM
- Extended Diploma in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering with an overall grade of Distinction
- National Diploma and Diploma (science/technical/engineering types): DM plus 1 A-level at minimum Grade B
- Level 3 Diploma in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering with an overall grade of Distinction plus an A-Level in any subject grade C OR achieve overall grade Distinction plus a BTEC Sub Dip/ Extended National Cert in any subject at grade Merit
- Foundation or 90 credits Diploma (science/ technical/ engineering types): DM plus 2 A-level minimum grade B
- Foundation or 90 credits Diploma (any subject): DM plus 2 A-level minimum grade B including a science or technical subject.
- National Extended Certificate or Subsidiary Diploma (science/ technical/ engineering types): M plus 2 A-level minimum Grade B
- National Extended Certificate or Subsidiary Diploma (any subject): M plus 2 A-level minimum Grade B including a science or technical subject.
- Certificate/ National Certificate Level 3: Not accepted.
29 overall points with 5, 5, 4 in Higher Level subjects including a science or technical subject at Level 5.
Subject related Access (science or technical) with at least 30 Distinctions and 15 Merits at level 3.
- Year 1 entry: We may consider applicants for year 1 entry who are undertaking a 1st year degree elsewhere. You must meet the GCSEs and A level (or equivalent) requirements as listed. In order to be considered you will need to submit a UCAS application as we do not accept direct applications and this must include an academic reference.
- Year 2 entry: Please note that second year transfers are not part of the standard admissions process and is up to the discretion of the admissions team and tutor. Applications are only considered if there is space on that year of the programme.
Typically, applicants for second year entry must meet the GCSEs and A level (or equivalent) requirements as listed. Alongside this you must have gained (or be expected to gain) 65% overall and 120 credits on an equivalent programme at another recognised university. The equivalency of the programme is reviewed by the Admissions Tutor and you will be required to provide an official copy of the programme specification of this. In order to be considered you will need to submit a UCAS application as we do not accept direct applications and this must include an academic reference.
- Year 3: We will not be able to consider any application for Year 3.
The following T levels are accepted qualifications for this course:
- Design, Surveying and Planning for Construction Grade D
- Digital Production, Design and Development Grade D
- Building Services Engineering for Construction Grade D
- Onsite Construction Grade D
- Digital Business Services Grade D
- Digital Support Services Grade D
- Health Grade D
- Healthcare Science Grade D
- Science Grade D
- Design and Development for Engineering Manufacturing Grade D
- Engineering Manufacturing Processing and Control Grade D
- Maintenance, Installation and Repair for Engineering Manufacturing Grade D
Additionally to our Level 3 requirement, you will also need to have achieved:
GCSE Maths Grade C/4 and English Grade C/4 and above
Fees and scholarships
|Annual tuition fees:||£9,250|
|During placement year:||£1,250|
|Annual tuition fees:||£21,100|
|During placement year:||£2,500|
Be part of our community
Once you have joined us at Aston University, you’ll always be part of our community, even beyond graduation.