Key information, entry requirement and fees
- Credit value: 20 masters level credits
- Mode of delivery: Distance Learning
- Course type: Standalone Module
- Module code: OP4OT1
- Start date: October
- Number of places available: Up to 30
- Duration: 16 weeks
- Time commitment: Although this will depend upon the individual, a typical student can expect to spend up to 200 hours of study in total
- Fees: £1,100
- Entry requirement: You must be a clinician in the field of optometry.
Course outline and what you will study
This course will provide you with a theoretical background in Ocular Pharmacology and therapeutics. Following successful completion of this module, you should be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of basic anatomy and physiology, ocular immunology and microbiology and pathology as well as principles history taking for ocular diseases
- Demonstrate an understanding of pharmacology and relate this to ocular therapeutic drugs
- Interpret the legal basis and frameworks for prescribing
- Prescribe safely and professionally as an individual or as part of a team.
Topics covered in this module include:
- Anatomy and physiology
- Ocular pathology
- History Taking
- General and ocular immunology and microbiology
- Principles of pharmacology
- Ocular pharmacy and therapeutics
- Medicines and the law
- Effective prescribing
- Medical ethics.
Learning, teaching, assessment and staff
This course is delivered via distance learning. You will access learning materials for general study, revision and assessment via our virtual learning environment, Blackboard. This platform allows you to access a comprehensive range of study materials, scientific journals, e-journals, databases and much more.
Assessment is by coursework submitted throughout the course. Coursework will take the form of formative assessment (MCQs) and Portfolio assignment.
Our courses are written and delivered by staff at the forefront of life and health sciences teaching and research. In the recent Teaching Excellence Framework assessment, Aston University was awarded Gold, the highest award possible. In addition, our courses are regularly reviewed by relevant professional experts.
Your future career prospects
Our courses offer you the opportunity to enhance your knowledge and skills in order to develop your career. In addition, our ethos is to equip you to make a real difference in your field.
The Optometry CPD courses allow you to develop specialist knowledge in advanced optometric topics. Clinical application and content may allow eye care professionals to widen and specialise their mode of practice.