Accredited by the Registration Council for Clinical Physiologists under the Modernising Scientific Careers Accredited Scientific Practice programme
Flexible: gain a postgraduate certificate, diploma or masters qualification while you continue to work
Research in Allied Health Professions and Studies ranked 5th out of 97 UK higher education institutions (REF 2014)
All modules can be taken independently as continuing professional development
Key information, entry requirements and fees
Mode of delivery: Part-time, blended learning. Students are employed within NHS Departments and released to undertake academic study. All teaching and learning materials are hosted online. You will attend on-campus teaching for three weeks in term 1, three days in term 2, three days in term 3.
Intake: Up to 15 students per year
Duration: 1 year
Start date: September
Fees (2022): £3,600
- We welcome applications from candidates interested in our course who have the skills and capability to excel. All candidates are considered on an individual basis based on their qualifications, experience, references and motivation.
A first or upper second class honours degree in clinical physiology or equivalent in a life sciences based subject e.g., chemistry, biochemistry, pharmacy, pharmaceutical technology, pharmacology, physiology, physical science subject is required or, when outside the UK, a degree or qualification deemed to be at least of equivalent standing.
UK applications are welcome from in-service neurophysiology staff who do not meet the academic requirements. Applicants must be registered with RCCP and will need a recommendation/supporting letter from their head of department. Candidates should have a minimum of six months service within a Neurophysiology department prior to starting the programme with exposure to the investigations within the selected module.
- Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to provide evidence of an English language qualification. English language test requirements may be waived where students’ undergraduate degree was studied in an English speaking country. Find out more about our English language requirements.
- For more information about qualifications view our Aston in your country webpage.
- The information contained on this website details the typical entry requirements for this course for the most commonly offered qualifications. Applicants with alternative qualifications may wish to enquire with the relevant admissions teams prior to application whether or not their qualifications are deemed acceptable. For less commonly encountered qualifications this will be judged on a case-by-case basis in consultation with the academic admissions tutor.
Course outline and what you will study
The programme provides existing practitioners with the skills and knowledge to become more autonomous in their roles and have the ability to improve and evaluate services for patients – to become an advanced practitioner.
The modules are available by distance / blended learning, allowing you flexibility in the way that you study.
The PgCert in Neurophysiology is a postgraduate training programme for the NHS Accredited Specialist Scientific Practice Programme (ASSP). This provides the neurophysiology workforce with the ability to meet specific workforce needs in nerve conduction and EMG as well as paediatric and intensive care EEG.
- Introduction to Healthcare Science and Professional Practice: The overall aim of this introductory module is to provide a broad knowledge and understanding of science and scientific knowledge, contextualised to the practice of healthcare science and the services provided by their healthcare science division/specialism. This module will provide you with an opportunity to learn about healthcare science practice and its ethical and legal requirements.
- Professional Communication in Healthcare
- Evidence-based practice
You will also choose to take one of the following optional modules*:
- Nerve Conduction and Evoked Potentials: This module will introduce you to the underlying theory of carrying out nerve conduction studies and evoked potentials and their role in clinical practice.
- Advanced EEG: This module will enable you to understand the role of EEG in the management of adults and children.
*Details provided are intended to give an overview of the proposed aims and content in modules, they are not a complete exhaustive and definitive description of module content.
Learning, teaching, assessment and staff
The majority of the teaching and learning material is delivered via Blackboard, our virtual learning environment. You will be required to attend campus for three weeks in the first term of the first year then three days a term for the remainder of the course have the opportunity to participate in group activities, tutorials, skills laboratories and seminars.
You will be provided with a study guide for modules which ensures you are aware of what material needs covering when. The mandatory modules are mostly assessed via coursework so you will be able to benchmark your abilities early on and to develop your skills in managing your learning.
Course Director: Dr Valia Rodriguez-Rodriguez
Your future career prospects
This programme sits within the Department of Health’s vision for the Healthcare Science workforce. The aim of which is to develop practitioners who can improve the scientific profile within healthcare and who have the requisite skills to enhance both the diagnosis and treatment of patients in the NHS. It is also aimed at NHS neurophysiology practitioners who wish to undertake an academic qualification as part of their professional development. Individual modules can be undertaken as part of the School’s flexible credit accumulation system leading to a post-graduate certificate, diploma or master's qualification.
The ageing population means that demand for assessment and treatment services is set to rise substantially over the coming years. Our graduates will be well placed to develop careers in hospitals, community-based practice and also relate to research areas.
The programme is designed to formally meet the requirements of the NHS and builds on Aston’s established links and extensive experience of health education.
- Admissions: email@example.com
- Course content: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Follow us on Twitter: @AstonLHS
- Follow us on Facebook: Aston University School of Life and Health Sciences