Discover how maths is an integral part of our everyday lives with an understanding of the concepts, theories and applications that make sense of the world around us, from computer modelling and transport networks to the stock market and climate change. On our mathematics programme you will increase your familiarity with mathematical software, and build confidence in communicating mathematical arguments and conclusions.
If you are passionate to problem-solve and have a desire to explore the intricacies of the universe, a maths degree is your gateway to a rewarding future.
Location: Aston University, Birmingham
3 or 4 years
BSc (Hons) Mathematics
Mathematics offers a principled, logical, and quantitative perspective of the world around us. From mathematical modelling of air flow and epidemic spreading, through medical diagnosis and power-grid control to investment banking and self-driving cars – mathematics is fundamental to many cutting-edge technologies.
What we will provide
Our mathematics program aligns with contemporary trends like finance and AI, enabling the exploration of various mathematical specialisations. Emphasising employability, a mathematics degree from us opens doors to diverse career paths, showcasing the versatility and value of mathematical expertise.
What you will provide
We welcome students to our maths course who possess a deep love and genuine interest in mathematics, fuelled by curiosity and a desire to think originally. We value those who actively apply their learning, are determined to overcome difficulties, remain adaptable, and embrace teamwork for collaborative success.
What skills we teach
Your degree will cover vital skills needed for a successful career in mathematics. You will learn problem-solving skills, hone logical thinking abilities, and impart programming and computer mathematics knowledge. We emphasise professional practice and will equip you with essential employability skills. Our curriculum aims to develop your mathematical mind and will empower you for a successful career.
While optional, Aston University strongly encourages you to undertake a mathematics placement year. This invaluable opportunity allows you to apply mathematical concepts in real-world settings, gain practical experience, enhance employability, and establish professional connections. It's a transformative experience that amplifies your skills, confidence, and prospects for future success in the mathematical realm.
The course has been specifically designed, with industry input, to meet the huge demand for skilled maths graduates in finance and data analysis.You could choose employment in a broad range of positions, for instance in research and development teams as part of a large company or in start-ups, as trainee analysts and consultants. Alternatively, you may choose to continue your training at MSc and PhD level, or pursue a teaching career. Our graduates have gone into roles in a variety of sectors including finance, IT, education and consultancy with large companies such as Virgin Media, Accenture, Fujitsu, IBM and GCHQ.
You will have access to a range of facilities that will support your academic and personal development. You will gain both practical and theoretical experience in our lecture theatres and seminar rooms where you will be able to conduct any research. You will also have access to a comprehensive library with a wide range of transport-related literature and online databases.
- Prepares you for a career in academia or industry, primarily in a mathematically oriented field.
- Equips you with a wide range of analytical and computational tools which they can employ in a principled framework.
- Provides you with an understanding of the main areas of mathematics, and their applications, at undergraduate level.
- Provides you with a stimulating and challenging learning experience that will enable you to develop your analytical and computational skills, preparing you for the dynamic and ever changing environment of the information age.
- Provides you with the opportunity to obtain relevant industrial experience with the option of undertaking a placement year.
- ABB, to include A level Maths at minimum grade B
BBB, to include A level Maths at minimum grade B (with an EPQ or Core Maths at grade B)
BBC, to include A level Maths at minimum grade B (contextual offer)
Aston Ready is our contextual offer scheme that could reduce your undergraduate offer by one or two grades. Assessed at the point of application, there are no additional forms to fill in.
- Extended Diploma and National Extended Diploma (any subject): DDM plus 1 A-Level in Mathematics at minimum grade A
- National Diploma and Diploma (any subject): DM plus 1 A-level in Mathematics at minimum grade A
- Foundation or 90 credits Diploma (any subject): DM plus 2 A-levels grade AB including Mathematics at minimum grade A
- National Extended Certificate or Subsidiary Diploma (any subject): M plus 2 A-level grade AB including Mathematics at minimum grade A
- Certificate/ National Certificate Level 3: Not accepted
- The Level 3 Extended Diploma and Diploma in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering is not accepted, please see our foundation programme for an alternative route.
- 32 overall points with 6, 5, 5 in Higher Level subjects including a 6 in Higher Level Mathematics and grade 5 in Standard Level English.
30 Distinctions and 15 Merits at Level 3 including at least 15 credits at Level 3 in Mathematics at Distinction
- Year 1 entry: We may consider applicants for year 1 entry who are undertaking a 1st year degree elsewhere. You must meet the GCSE and A level (or equivalent) requirements as listed. In order to be considered you will need to submit a UCAS application as we do not accept direct applications and this must include an academic reference.
- Year 2 entry: Please note that second year transfers are not part of the standard admissions process and is up to the discretion of the admissions team and programme director. Applications are only considered if there is space on that year of the programme. Typically, applicants for second year entry must meet the GCSEs and A level (or equivalent) requirements as listed. Alongside this you must have gained (or be expected to gain) 65% overall and 120 credits on an equivalent programme at another recognised university. The equivalency of the programme is reviewed by the Admissions Tutor and you will be required to provide an official copy of the programme specification of this. In order to be considered you will need to submit a UCAS application as we do not accept direct applications and this must include an academic reference.
- Year 3: We will not be able to consider any application for Year 3.
All candidates are considered on an individual basis and the whole application is reviewed which includes previous and predicted qualifications, any experience, references and motivation.
T Levels are not currently accepted as an entry requirement for this course.
You may be able to access this course via our foundation programme route.
Additionally to our Level 3 requirement, you will also need to have achieved:
GCSE Maths and English Grade C/4 or above.
Fees and scholarships
|Annual tuition fees:||£9,250|
|During placement year:||£1,250|
|Annual tuition fees:||£21,100|
|During placement year:||£2,500|
Be part of our community
Once you have joined us at Aston University, you’ll always be part of our community, even beyond graduation.