Learn the skills to create the world around you
Start your path to a fascinating career with global impact and excellent job security
Use creativity and imagination to build more sustainable environments and benefit our world
Benefit from advanced technologies and other tools such as CAD and Building Information Modelling (BIM)
Course outline and modules
Across the globe, Civil Engineers design, construct and manage superstructures, spectacular bridges, transportation infrastructure (airports, seaports, roads, motorways, railways), hospitals, flood defences, water, and wastewater treatment works.
This MEng programme has been created for the civil engineers of the 21st century, so they can provide critical infrastructure that makes our world a sustainable circular economy. The programme is designed to provide you with the educational base required to become professionally recognised as a Chartered Engineer and gives you a much broader, more-in-depth understanding of core civil engineering branches than our BEng Civil Engineering programme.
The MEng programme is structured around practical civil engineering content which includes design activities, building and construction of infrastructure and involves the applications of engineering mathematics, applied physics knowledge and using civil engineering tools in a creative and sustainable way.
- Year 1
- Introduction to Civil Engineering
- Construction Materials and Surveying
- BIM for Construction
- Civil Engineering Mathematics
- Building and Design and Construction Technology
- Year 2
- Structural Analysis and Numerical Modelling
- Sustainable Materials and Design
- Fluid Mechanics
- Construction Contract Management and Administration 2
- Geotechnics 1
- Transport Infrastructure Engineering
- Year 3
EPS Placement Year
- Year 4
- Independent Civil Engineering Project
- Civil Engineering Design Project
- Geotechnics 2
- Choose two of the following options:
- Construction Project Management and Planning
- Civil Engineering Quantification and Costing
- Transport Modelling
- Transport Planning for Sustainable Futures
- Year 5
- Major Engineering Design Project
- Advanced Structural Engineering
- Digital Engineering and Smart Construction
- Project and Programme Management
Choose two (2) of the following options:
- Water and Wastewater Engineering
- Monitoring and Management of Civil Infrastructure
- Advanced Geotechnics
- A Levels
- BBB including B in Mathematics
- BBC including B in Mathematics if grade B achieved in EPQ or Core Maths
- BCC (Contextual/DTUS offer)
29 (5, 5, 4 including Mathematics Higher Level)
- BTEC & Access
- BTEC Extended Diploma (Applied Science: physics pathway/ Engineering/ Construction or Technical subject): DDM OR BTEC Extended Diploma (any subject): DDM plus A level Maths at minimum Grade B
- National Diploma and Diploma: DM plus A-level Maths at minimum Grade B
- Foundation or 90 credits Diploma: DM plus 2 A-level at minimum grade B including Maths
- National Extended Certificate or Subsidiary Diploma: M plus 2 A-level minimum Grade B including Maths
- Certificate/ National Certificate Level 3: Not accepted
Access to Higher Education
30D 15M in a related subject including at least 15 credits at Level 3 in Mathematics
Additionally to our Level 3 requirement, you will also need to have achieved:
GCSE Maths and English Grade C/4 and above
Whilst the grades listed here are our entry requirements, we understand that predicted grades are only an estimate. We will therefore consider applicants with predicted grades that fall below these entry requirements if the application is of a high standard (however, initial offers will not be lower than stated above).
Entry onto our Foundation Year maybe offered as an alternative to the degree course if lower entry grades are achieved.
*For details on our Aston Ready contextual offer scheme, please see here.
The information contained on this website details the typical entry requirements for this course for the most commonly offered qualifications. Applicants with alternative qualifications may wish to enquire with the relevant admissions teams prior to application whether or not their qualifications are deemed acceptable. For less commonly encountered qualifications this will be judged on a case-by-case basis in consultation with the academic admissions tutor.
Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to provide evidence of an English language qualification. Find out more about our English language requirements. For more information about qualifications view our Aston in your country webpage.
Learning, teaching and assessment
Your teaching staff have an open-door and approachable attitude, so you’ll be able to talk to them if you have any queries.
You will be learning in exceptional facilities with well-equipped specialist laboratories and computing facilities, and a well-resourced and staffed library.
The teaching environment of this course is diverse, with lectures, tutorials, practicals, field trips and more.
Applied Civil Engineering Laboratories and Research areas include but not limited to:
- Digital Construction, procurement & Construction project management
- Innovative Construction Materials
- Resilient & smart Infrastructures
- Water, Waste, Environmental Engineering & Sustainability
- Off-site construction
- Infrastructure design and retrofitting
- Disaster management
- Geotechnical Engineering
Fees and scholarships
UK students (2022/23)
Annual tuition fees: £9,250
During placement year: £1,250
International and EU students (2022/23)
Annual tuition fees: £20,200*
During placement year: £2,500
* The United Kingdom government has confirmed that European Union (EU), other European Economic Area (EEA) and Swiss nationals commencing academic courses in England from August 2021 will no longer be charged the same tuition rates as Home students.
Further information can be found at https://www.gov.uk/government/news/student-support-in-england
Tuition fees are reviewed annually and may increase in subsequent years in line with inflation linked to the Retail Price Index (RPI) to take account of the University’s increased costs of delivering the Programme. When undertaking a placement year a placement year fee applies.
At Aston University we are committed to supporting the most talented and hardworking students to achieve their potential by providing a range of scholarships to help lower tuition and living costs. Find out more about our scholarships here.
- Programme Director - Dr. Kiran Tota-Maharaj (Reader)
- Deputy Programme Director - Dr. Yuqing Zhang
Languages for All
Learn a language for free with Aston University's Languages for All programme...
First year students at Aston have the opportunity to learn one of the following languages for free at beginners, improvers or intermediate level:
- Mandarin Chinese
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why study civil engineering at Aston?
Civil engineers are in high demand as the construction industry continues to grow and thrive. This course will give you all the skills and experience you need to lead a successful and fulfilling career as a civil engineer.
- What will I be doing on the civil engineering course at Aston?
You will learn the key techniques and skills you need to become a civil engineer including materials, transport and engineering. You’ll gain knowledge and experience based on real life examples and companies, giving you the skills you need to begin your career in this exciting area.
- Why must I take a year out in industry?
We think that the knowledge you gain through your studies are best applied to real life and the most effective way to do this is by working in a company. As well as the opportunity to apply the technical knowledge you’ve learned, you’ll also gain invaluable communication and team skills.
We have excellent links with industry and can help to arrange this placement for you.
- Why should international students choose Aston University?
Aston University is a diverse, close community and welcomes international students on many of our undergraduate programmes. Students from over 120 different countries chose to study with us every year and Aston is not only a great place to study, based in the centre of Birmingham it’s also a great place to live.
Aston’s professional work placements can improve your chance of securing a graduate job. Placements give you experience, confidence and opportunities and as an Aston student, you’ll be better prepared for your future career.
Choosing to start your Aston journey with our foundation programme will help you develop specialist knowledge to ensure that you are fully prepared to study your chosen undergraduate course.
Chat with current students