Key information and entry requirements
Credit value: 15 masters level credits
Mode of delivery: Distance learning
Course type: Standalone module
Number of places available: 20
Start date: January.
Duration: 20 weeks (not including Christmas break)
Time commitment: Although this will depend upon the individual, you a typical student can expect to spend around 10 hours a week throughout the duration of the course, equivalent to 200 hours of study in total.
Entry requirements: You must be a clinician in the field of Audiology
2020/21 fees are £550 per 10 credits.
Total fees for this 15 credit module for January 2021 start are £825.
Course outline and modules
This course will provide you with a theoretical background in auditory science, assessment and rehabilitation, which are essential for clinical practice in audiology.
It will develop your knowledge of the evidence base regarding assessment and management of hearing loss, and encourage evidence based decision making and critical appraisal of clinical practice.
Following successful completion of this module, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate your knowledge of routine clinical practice and the underpinning research evidence regarding auditory conditions and their diagnosis and management
- Demonstrate your ability to critically appraise information
- Demonstrate your ability to synthesise logical and evidence-based argument
- Apply your knowledge of auditory conditions, diagnostic tests and management options to a specific set of circumstances
- Communicate clearly and concisely using advanced concepts and terminology.
Topics covered in this module include:
- Acoustics & psychoacoustics
- The function & disorders of the auditory system
- Audiological assessment
- Management of hearing disorders in adults.
Learning, teaching and assessment
This course is delivered via distance learning. You will access learning materials for general study, revision and assessment via our virtual learning environment, Blackboard. This platform allows you to access a comprehensive range of study materials, scientific journals, e-journals, databases and much more.
Assessment is by coursework submitted throughout the course. Coursework will take the form of an online test and a case report assignment.
Our courses are written and delivered by staff at the forefront of Life and Health Sciences teaching and research. Many members of staff practise / have practised professionally. In the recent Teaching Excellence Framework assessment, Aston University was awarded Gold, the highest award possible. In addition, our courses are regularly reviewed by relevant professional experts.
Our courses offer you the opportunity to enhance your knowledge and skills in order to develop your career. In addition, our ethos is to equip you to make a real difference in your field.
Chat with current students