This page has been designed to help to support our many staff across all areas of the University who are directly affected by the UK’s decision to leave the EU.

Our staff and students remain our number one priority in responding to the UK leaving the EU. If you're an EU staff member, rest assured that we are here to assist and advise you, or if you would like to talk to someone on a one-to-one basis, this can be arranged by contacting your HR Business Partner or emailing

Post-Brexit transition period/EU Settlement Scheme

The EU settlement scheme has now closed. Should you require more tailored advice, please contact a local immigration specialist or use one of the following organisations

For the latest information on getting ready for Brexit, please visit

Letters confirming employment status at Aston University

For EU and EEA colleagues may be planning to return home, if you would like a document confirming your ongoing employment at Aston University, HR will be happy to provide a formal letter.

Although such a letter has no formal status and is by no means a requirement for travel, it can be useful in the event of a request at UK border control.

If you would like a letter to be sent to you please contact


We recognise that the changes resulting from the UK leaving the EU may be challenging for many, particularly those staff from the EU, EEA and Switzerland who may be feeling particularly vulnerable.

If you need support, please talk to your line manager or your HR business partner. We also offer a range of wellbeing support, please visit our wellbeing page for more information. 

Aston staff with a British passport travelling to Europe

Travel to the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein changed from 1 January 2021.

Things British passport holders may need to do before you go include:

  • check your passport
  • get travel insurance that covers your healthcare
  • check you have the right driving documents

On the day you travel, you’ll need your passport to both:

  • have at least 6 months left
  • be less than 10 years old (even if it has 6 months or more left)