Aston Progression Pathways (APP) is an 18-month programme that empowers eligible Year 12 students to achieve their goal of studying STEM, Business or Law courses at Aston University. Students on the scheme receive the following benefits:
- Residential summer school
- UCAS and personal statement support
- Study skills support
- A contextual offer
This sustained programme of activity aims to raise students' aspirations, improve their motivation to progress onto Higher Education and provides them with the knowledge, skills and experiences that will enhance their UCAS application.
Successful applicants are expected to commit to all of the key dates below in order to complete the programme and receive full benefits.
- April 2021: Programme Launch. Students and their parents/carers attend a launch event at Aston University. This is a fantastic opportunity to learn more about the programme and Higher Education.
- August 2021: Residential Summer School. Students attend a 3 day, 2 night residential summer school. During the summer school, students gain an exclusive insight into what it would be like to live and study at university. They are taught by our world-class academics, are given access to our research facilities and independent learning spaces, and work as a group to complete a research project in a subject area of their choice. Depending on the pathway they choose, the summer school would focus on STEM, Business or Law.
- August 2021 - February 2022: E-Mentoring. Students are be paired with an undergraduate student from Aston University who will act as their e-mentor throughout Year 13. All mentoring takes place on a secure, monitored platform with e-mentors who have completed safeguarding training and hold a valid DBS check.
- October 2021: UCAS and Personal Statement Support Day. Students visit Aston University to learn more about the university application process and how to write an effective personal statement.
- February 2022: Study Skills Conference. Students visit Aston University to focus on their study skills and preparing for upcoming exams.
- July 2022: Graduation Event. Students and parents attend a graduation event to celebrate the successful completion of the APP programme and think about next steps.
- September 2022: Continued Support. The Student Recruitment and Outreach team stay in touch with APP students who have enrolled at Aston University to offer continued support with their transition.
Am I eligible?
Our Aston Progression Pathways programmes are open to Year 12 students who are studying at a non-selective school or college in the West Midlands, and have attained at least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 or above in Maths, English and Science. Their predicted grades at A Level/BTEC/IB would also match the entry requirements of their chosen course at Aston University.
Students must also meet at least one of the following widening participation criteria:
- Live in a POLAR4, Quintile 1 or 2 area (check whether your live in an eligible postcode area here)
- Attend a school or college in a POLAR 4, Quintile 1 or 2 area (check whether your school has an eligible postcode here)
- Come from a home where neither parent has attended a university in the UK or abroad
- Have a disability or are in receipt of a personal independence payment
- Are in care or have been in care in the past
Please note that spaces on the programme are limited.
How do I apply?
Applications are now closed.