Don't Jump in at the Deep End
1. Make a long term commitment to exercising and set targets. This is always easier said than done but if you give your self something to aim for in 3 or 6 months’ time it will help to motivate you. Try entering yourself into a race (with a finishing time to aim for), aim to lose a certain amount of weight or swim more.
2. Don’t jump in at the deep end! Start of doing 2 or 3 workouts per week and build from their rather than trying 5 workouts in the first week, feeling exhausted the week after and not doing anything for a week. Although you may feel mentally motivated to hit the gym hard in the New Year your body won’t necessarily feel the same especially if you haven’t done much exercise in the past.
3. Keep track of your progress. Make sure you keep track of your progress whether it’s a distance run, time swimming or weight lost. Keep track of your weight lose by creating the same amount of weight lost with bags of flour. You can pick this up and feel how much weight there is.
4. Reward yourself. When you reach a milestone reward yourself with something you like. It doesn't have to be with food (although it can be) you could buy something for yourself or go out somewhere special. Once you have achieved something look for your next target and set yourself another reward to have when you reach it.
5. Workout with someone. It can be difficult exercising on your own so try working out with a friend or in a group fitness class. It can be more enjoyable and you can motivate each other to keep to your planned workouts schedule.