Aston University Library is a controlled access building. Aston University staff and students can gain access via uniCARD whereas visitors will need to apply to become registered visitors. Registered visitors can:
- Use the Library for study purposes from:
- 09:00 - 21:00 weekdays
- 10:00 until 18:00 on Saturdays and Sundays.
This applies even when the Library is open longer than the hours specified. Weekend hours are reduced during the summer vacation. See the Library Opening Hours here.
- Borrow up to 6 books at any one time (these must be returned on time or renewed, to avoid fines). You will have access to your own Library Record which you can use to check loans or renew books, or to change your PIN.
- Use Wi-Fi - via eduroam on own device if a member of another university, or via password for own laptop from the Help desk (weekdays 09:00 - 18:00 term-time and until 17:00 during vacations). This will provide access to many electronic resources. Unfortunately, University photocopiers, computers and laptops are not available to visitors.
Visitors must present ID and sign in and out on each visit.
- Aston graduates and Aston-affiliated users
Apply Online (passport style digital photo will be required)
- SCONUL Access Scheme for staff and students from other universities
Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic we will not be accepting any applications for new SCONUL membership or allowing visits to existing SCONUL access members.
Under the arrangements of the SCONUL Access scheme, students and staff who attend member institutions can also apply for a membership card to use the Library on a regular basis if they are:
- Academic and support staff (band A)
- Research e.g. Phd (band A)
- Part time (band B) Distance learning (band B)
- Placement (band B)
- Full time postgraduate (band C)
Please apply for your SCONUL Access approval email online and once you have that, complete the Aston University online registration form. You will need to provide a digital photo and your SCONUL Access Approval email along with your application.
Full-time undergraduates are not admitted under the SCONUL Access Scheme.
Please refer to the arrangements for members of the public or the SCONUL Access Summer Vacation Scheme.
SCONUL Access Summer Vacation Scheme
Current students (undergraduate or postgraduate) and staff from other universities can come into the Library during the summer vacation - the dates for this should be checked before visiting.
Students and staff must show a current valid ID card from their own university (the university must be a member of the scheme)
- The card must have a recognisable photograph and give university ID number
- It must give a current date
- Visitors will need to sign the visitors book each time they visit the Library
- Visitors using the Library under the SCONUL Access Summer Vacation Scheme can use the Library from 09:00 - 21:00 weekdays and until 17:00 at the weekends. This applies even when the Library is open longer than those hours.
- Members of the public
Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic we will not be accepting any applications for day passes or allowing access to the Library on a day pass.
Members of the public, over the age of 18, can request a Day Pass at the Library Reception desk.
Day Passes are available 09:00-12:00 & 14:00-16:45 Monday-Friday and can be used by the named person, up until 21:00 on the date issued.
Two forms of identification are required:
- Name and home address (e.g. recent utility bill)
- Photo ID (e.g. driving licence) with proof of age
- Day passes are not available during University exam periods. To see dates day passes are available please check our opening hours webpage.
- A day pass cannot be issued without both photographic ID and home address details. Please provide official translations of foreign documents, where necessary.
- Day passes are limited to a maximum of 3 per person, per academic year.