Key information, entry requirements and fees
- Key information
- Credit value: 10 Credits
- Specific level: This is a Level 5 module, equivalent to a Foundation Degree.
- Mode of delivery: Distance learning
- Course type: Standalone module
- Number of places available: Up to 15
- Applications: all applications are made online using our online application form. You will be required to confirm the name for each of the Biomedical Science top-up modules you will be applying for by listing them in your personal statement. This is a compulsory part of your application and missing information may result in a prolonged delay in processing your application.
Our full list of available modules in this suite of courses includes:
- For those who are taking this module in order to 'top-up' your existing degree for IBMS registration, please refer to our entry requirements for more details on IMBS set deadlines.
- Start date: September 2023.
- Duration: Registration covers one academic year. Course delivery is scheduled over approximately 10 weeks, with an examination in May. Although this will depend upon the individual, a typical student can expect to spend around 10 hours in large group activity, and 90 hours of independent learning
- Entry requirements
- General entry requirements: In order to study this module you must have a non-accredited undergraduate degree in Biomedical Sciences or an undergraduate degree in a related field (such as biology or biochemistry).
- Taking this module in order to 'top-up' your existing degree for IBMS registration: Prior to registering for a top-up module (or modules) you need to contact the Institute of Biomedical Science. They will assess your degree in order to confirm that it is eligible for 'top-up' and to determine the additional subject areas in which you need further qualifications. We recommend you contact the IBMS by June in the year of application to ensure that you have confirmation of your module requirements in time to register for your modules with Aston University.
- Degrees not eligible for Top-up: If your degree is not eligible for top up but you still wish to become a registered Biomedical Scientist, we recommend that you apply to take our accredited BSc Biomedical Science undergraduate degree.
- Taking this module for professional development: No additional requirements apply
- International students: We welcome applications from international students who are already in the UK with a valid visa. Unfortunately we are not able to accept applications from international students who wish to come to the UK solely to take this course. We are also not able to accept international students to take the distance learning route. You will be asked to provide a scanned copy of your UK visa, and of your passport when you submit the online registration form so that we can check you are eligible to take the top up modules.
For Sept 2023 Start: £750 per 10 credits
This course is accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS).
Speak to our Admissions Team
If you have any questions about the application process please get in touch with our postgraduate admissions team:
Call: 0121 204 3200 (Please note this line is open Monday-Friday between 10am-4pm BST)
Please click here for guidance on completing the postgraduate application.
Course outline and what you will study
Available via distance learning, this module allows you to develop your knowledge in key concepts, techniques and current laboratory practice used in Molecular Biology and Genetics. It is ideal if you wish to “top-up” your existing degree to become a registered Biomedical Scientist, or if you are looking to take a course as part of your continuing professional development.
This course aims to provide an in-depth understanding of the application of molecular biology and genetics to clinical medicine.
Learning, teaching and assessment
This module is available via distance learning. We welcome applications from international students who are already in the UK with a valid visa; however we are not able to accept those who wish to come to the UK solely to take this course. Students taking this course by distance learning must be based in the UK.
All course material, including recorded lectures, self-assessment quizzes, timetables, and some directed reading will be available on Blackboard online; coursework submission and feedback are also mainly via this route. Blackboard allows you to access a comprehensive range of study materials, scientific journals, e-journals, databases and much more.
Distance learning, the study can be spread out over the term and a week-by-week study guide is available. Recorded lectures are made available after they are delivered to attendance students as detailed above.
All students will be required to complete examinations during the May exam period.
Our courses are written and delivered by staff at the forefront of life and health sciences teaching and research. Many members of staff currently practise or have practised professionally. In the recent Teaching Excellence Framework assessment, Aston University was awarded Gold, the highest award possible. In addition, our courses are regularly reviewed by relevant professional experts.
Biomedical Sciences Top Up Modules Course Director: Dr Jonathan Cox
Module Coordinator: Dr A Vernallis
Our CPD courses offer you the opportunity to enhance your knowledge and skills in order to develop your career. In addition, our ethos is to equip you to make a real difference in your field.
These modules will allow you to obtain the academic competences that are required to apply to the Health Professions Council for Registration as a Biomedical Scientist.