Aston Medical School is committed to widening participation. We want to ensure that our students, who will become tomorrow’s doctors, reflect the general population which they serve.
All UK Home fee applicants, except those who have already graduated with a degree, will be asked to complete an online questionnaire to establish whether they fulfil one or more of our widening participation (WP) criteria listed below.
- Live in a widening participation postcode area. This can be checked using the Office for Students (OfS) postcode checker
- Come from a family where neither parent (or the one parent if in a single parent family) attended university in the UK or abroad
- Currently be in receipt of a means-tested bursary (namely 16-19 Bursary or similar)
- Been in receipt of free school meals any time over the last three years.
- Come from an underrepresented group (Gypsy, Roma, Traveller communities, refugees, children of military families)
- Are presently or have ever been in care.
You will also be asked the following question. However, please note that answering yes to this question alone will not make you eligible as a WP student.
- Currently attend (or previously attended for GCSEs) a school or college in a POLAR 4, Quintile 1 or 2 area. This can be checked by searching the schools postcode here.