For the first time the six Midlands Universities have come together with the Medical Schools Council and Health Education England to deliver a teachers and career advisers conference to provide key information needed to support pupils who aspire to a career in medicine or healthcare.
Midlands Medical Schools and Healthcare Teachers and Advisers Conference (Online) | Friday 16th July 2021 | 9.45am – 14.00pm.
The day will include:
- Interactive workshops to help you discover more about supporting your pupils to select the right healthcare career
- The different routes into healthcare and medicine (including those for pupils from disadvantaged backgrounds)
- Top tips on how to make a successful application.
Prior to the live event, delegates will receive a virtual package of video resources designed by the six Midland Universities to help support teachers with pupils considering applying to medicine and healthcare courses. The videos will also introduce delegates to the key discussion points of the conference, allowing you to come fully prepared with your questions and queries during the live event.
Examples of video resources included in the package:
- Alternative Careers in healthcare
- Hidden requirements for applying and studying Medicine and Healthcare courses
- Our Journeys into Medicine and Healthcare - Student Stories
- Preparing your students for an application to Medicine or Healthcare
- Supporting students once they arrive at university
There will be plenty of opportunities for questions and myth-busting during the live event as well as a wealth of resources for you to take away with you . Delegates will also have the opportunity to submit questions to the panel ahead of the conference via the booking form.
If you have any questions, please contact the Aston Medical School Pathway to Healthcare Team.
We look forward to welcoming you.
The Conference Team:
- Aston Medical School
- Birmingham Medical School
- Leicester Medical School
- School of Medicine at Keele University
- Warwick Medical School
- Medical Schools Council
- Health Education England
|09:50||Log on to Blackboard Collaborate (registration)||Blackboard Collaborate|
Conference Opening and Housekeeping
Speaker: Dr Afshan Ahmad, Lecturer and Admission Lead, Aston Medical School
Speakers: Professor Helen Cameron, Dean of Medical Education, Aston Medical School.
Plenary – Widening Access into Medicine and Healthcare: An Overview
Plenary and Breakouts – Alternative Careers in Healthcare – An Interactive COVID Case Study
Plenary and Breakouts – Preparing Your Students for an Application to Medicine or Healthcare
Panel – Student Voice – Our Journeys Into Medicine
Plenary: What's Next
|14:00||Evaluation and Depart||Blackboard Collaborate|