The University is the educational sponsor for your Student visa and we hold a Student Visa Sponsor licence. 

As your Student visa sponsor, the University is obliged to monitor your attendance and progress on your course and check you are not doing anything which breaks the conditions of your visa. Therefore, the University must keep records about you and report any changes or problems to the UKVI.

What records are kept by Aston University?

We (the University) must make and store a scanned copy of:

your passport;   your stamped visa or other evidence of entry to the UK such as a boarding pass; your biometric residence permit or information obtained from the share code you gave us, if appropriate, showing your digital immigration status..


If you require an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate, we need to have a copy too. ATAS is needed for some postgraduates in the Life & Health Sciences School and in the Engineering School.

We must keep up to date information on your contact details; it is your responsibility to ensure your contact details are up to date by using My Aston Portal (MAP). You will be shown how to use MAP when you first arrive at the University.

When must Aston report me to the Home Office?

We have to tell the Home Office:

  • If you do not enrol, on your course.
  • If you are delayed from enroling onto your course. 
  • If you defer, postpone or take a break from your studies for any reason.
  • If you withdraw or you are withdrawn from your course. 
  • If, on a regular basis, you fail to attend a class or lecture or fail to submit academic work.
  • If you change your course or you complete your studies early.
  • If you go onto an approved placement or change placement address.
  • If you are studying at a location away from campus that we have authorised. 
  • If you move to a different institution. 
  • If you break the conditions of your visa e.g. by working more than 20 hours per week in term time or by failing to register with the police if you are asked to do so.
  • If you change immigration status and are no longer in the UK as a student.
  • If your visa is refused. 

You must provide us with all the information needed to help us to meet these reporting duties. If you do not do this, the Home Office may investigate us and take action against us which may, in turn, affect you.

What should I do?

How you can help us:

  • Use MAP (the student portal on the internet) to tell us when your UK address or your mobile phone number changes.
  • If you have a new visa, renew or change your visa, please go to The Hub on the ground floor of the Main Building and take your passport and visa with you. The Hub will take a scanned copy of your new visa details. * This is not necessary if the International Student Advisers have obtained your new visa for you because they will automatically update University records.
  • If you are unable to attend lectures or sessions on your programme, for example because you are ill, please contact your School of Study to let them know. 
  • If any other problems affect your attendance, please tell your School of Study or speak to one of the International Student Advisers based in The Hub.
  • If you have a meeting with a member of staff, you must attend that meeting on time or contact them to let them know why you are unable to attend.
What if I need to leave the UK during term time?

Please refer to our page regarding engagement monitoring.

Further Information

If you would like further information on Sponsorship duties, please contact one of the Visa Compliance Team who are based in The Hub.

Upper Foyer Main Building, 0121 204 4920