Welcome to Aston! We're committed to providing support and advice throughout your university journey via the Student Advice Team at The Hub:

Telephone: 0121 204 4007 
Email: careleavers@aston.ac.uk 

New Aston students who have indicated experience of being in care on their UCAS form are contacted with information outlining the support that is available during term 1. If we haven't been in contact with you, please email us. 

If you chose not to share this information with UCAS, please do let us know yourself – it's never too late!

General and Study Support

Coming to university is a great experience and there will be many opportunities to get involved. The Student Advice Team, based in The Hub, have lots of experience of providing assistance, advice and guidance. 

Students can also access academic support and guidance from the Learning Development Centre. You can attend workshops and receive one-to-one support with a Learning Development Adviser on a range of topics. 

Aston Students' Union

Relax and have fun with people who share similar interests! Aston Students' Union provides many opportunities for this through their student clubs and societies including Aston LGBT+, Aston Fitness Club and Aston Live Music Society to name just a few.  

Finance and Funding

This page outlines the help and support young people who have been in care will receive from Student Finance England.

The Student Room, Student Finance Zone is a great source of funding advice. If you would like help and assistance with your application to Student Finance England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland please contact the Hub to speak to the Student Advice Team.

Sometimes you may find that you need extra financial support in cases of unforeseen and unexpected financial hardship, we might be able to help with these costs via the Aston Support FundWe sensitively consider applications from care experienced students and students who have lived or do live in temporary accommodation and will provide assistance in a variety of ways, should you need it.


Information about Aston University's scholarships, including scholarships for care leavers, is available on our scholarship page.

You might also be eligible for the Unite Foundation Scholarship for care leavers and estranged students which offers up to three years free accommodation in residences owned by Unite Students.

Unite Foundation Scholarship 2024/2025 

Aston University work in partnership with the Unite Foundation to offer university accommodation scholarships to young people who have been in care or are estranged from their families. The scholarship gives care leaver/experienced and estranged students a free ensuite student bedroom in a designated, purpose built student accommodation building for a maximum of 3 years of your university life. No rent, no bills; 365 days a year for up to 3 years of eligible study.

The window to submit your scholarship application for 2024/25 is now open. You should read the guidance now and can start filling out the online application form and sourcing your evidence. You must submit a complete and properly evidenced application before 23.59pm on 14th June 2024. If you wish to discuss this scholarship with someone at Aston University, please contact the Student Advice Team or 0121 204 4007.


To apply for the Unite Foundation Scholarship Scheme you must meet and evidence all of the following eligibility criteria

  • Aged 25 or under on 1st September 2024 and
  • Undertaking first and only course of undergraduate study and
  • NOT undertaking Foundation or Masters level study in year beginning September 2024
  • Studying at, or holding a firm choice offer from Aston University and
  • UK home fee status student, i.e. not an international student and
  • In receipt of, or applying for, student finance or NHS funding for day-to-day living costs, reflecting care leaver/care experienced/estranged student status

Please note – Students undertaking a Foundation year in 2024/25 are NOT eligible to apply for this current application cycle. This must be your first and only course of undergraduate study – for example if you have completed previous studies and you are returning to undertake a new undergraduate course, you will not be eligible to apply.

How to Apply

Firstly you must fully read the information and guidance document until you are confident you are eligible to apply. When you are ready you can find the online application form HERE. You will be asked to upload evidence of eligibility so get that organised before you start.

Unite Foundation operate a ‘double submission’ system on the digital application form – please ensure you have submitted and then confirmed submission on the next page. If unsure, please email us to confirm they have received your application.

You must submit a complete and properly evidenced application before 23.59pm on 14th June 2024.

The Unite Foundation Scholarship Scheme is not able to provide awards for every eligible young person and applies scheme priorities to decide how awards are allocated each year. This means that an eligible application offers a chance and not a guarantee of a scholarship award.

More information can be found from Unite Foundation's website.

Moving On Grant for Care Leavers and Estranged Students

At Aston University we recognise that students who are care leavers or are estranged from their families might face different or additional challenges when coming to university. This can also be the case during the transition to life after graduation. If this applies to you then you may apply for the ‘Aston Support Fund Moving On Grant for Care Leavers and Estranged students’. This grant of £1000 aims to assist you with moving on costs such as rental deposits, relocation costs and the cost of attending your graduation. We don’t want you to feel unsupported by the University as you move into a new stage of your life or miss out on the chance to celebrate your achievements!

Care Leaver Covenant

Statement of Intent

Aston University recognises the challenges that young people face when they leave the care system and begin to live independently. We're prepared to offer support to care leavers to improve their life chances and help them make a successful transition to adulthood.

We understand that our support to care leavers should be in their best interests, promoting their health and wellbeing and securing the best possible outcomes for them.

To achieve this we undertake to:

Develop a specific offer that will seek to ensure that care leavers will be better prepared for employment and/or to live independently.

More information about the care leaver covenant is available here: https://mycovenant.org.uk/.

Local Authority Support

If Birmingham is your Local Authority you may be entitled to a one-off Higher Education Bursary of £2,000. Birmingham local authority may also help you with accommodation (rent) costs and travel to and from university.

Other local authorities will have their own support package that they offer young people who have experience of being in care.

This local authority support can be accessed via your Personal Adviser. You may also access a range of other practical support from your adviser and you should keep in touch throughout your studies. 

If you live in Birmingham the contact details are:

18+ Service 
PO Box 16378 
Birmingham B2 2AH 
Tel: 0121 464 1229 

Or search in the Local Authority Directory.

Useful Links

The Student Room, Student Finance Zone

UCAS Undergraduate support for care leavers

Coram Voice
Coram Voice enables and equips children and young people to hold to account the services that are responsible for their care.

Supporting People who are estranged from their family or key family members.

National Network for the Education of Care Leavers(NNECL) 
Higher Education Activities and Resources for Care Leavers, Children in Care and Those Who Support Them

Fully searchable website providing care leavers with information on the support available to them from colleges and universities offering higher education courses across the UK.

Providing help, support and advice to children in care and young care leavers so that they can take control of their lives and unleash their potential

Turn2us is a national charity that helps people in financial hardship gain access to welfare benefits, charitable grants and support services.

Rees: The Care Leavers Foundation
Making modest but vital grants to care leavers aged 18-29 who are in crisis, or who want to take control of their lives and develop new skills.

The EaCEs: Estranged and Care Estranged Student
A peer support platfgorm by and for students who are estranged, care experienced, care leavers, orphaned and at risk of/wishing to become estranged.