Your attendance is recorded in a number of ways, including checking in to a timetabled session using your ID card on the car swipe machines, or attending a Blackboard Collaborate session online. You can view your attendance at timetabled sessions online. If you have questions about your engagement please contact us

Exceptional Circumstances

Exceptional Circumstances are events or problems which you did not expect and which stop you being able to perform to the best of your abilities in your studies.  For example, bereavement, unexpected personal or family problems or illness might be considered as an exceptional circumstance.  Long term problems such as ongoing financial difficulties or ongoing health problems may not be accepted as an exceptional circumstance.  If you have long term problems which affect your studies you should always let your school know.  You may be able to access some additional support from the University’s Disability Team.  You may also wish to think about taking a Leave of Absence from your course (also called suspending your study)..

You can find more information about Exceptional Circumstances in the Student Guide to Exceptional Circumstances.

Leave of Absence (Suspension of Study)

Information for students who need to take a break from their studies for health, financial or other personal reasons.

What is a Leave of Absence?

We understand that sometimes, full time students have to take a break from their studies. This could be because you are unwell, or because you have financial difficulties or for other personal reasons.  Aston students in situations like this can suspend their studies be asking for a Leave of Absence. This is also called suspending study. A Leave of Absence can last between 60 days and up to 2 years.

How Can I Request A Leave of Absence?

You can request a Leave of Absence (Suspension of Study) from your student home page on MAP.  You will need to give a brief explanation of your reasons for suspending your studies and can upload any supporting evidence you have available. Your school will respond to your request through MAP so you need to check your student home page regularly.

You should also include the dates that you want the Leave of Absence to start and end but please remember that there is no guarantee you will be able to suspend your study for the exact dates you have requested. The length of Leave of Absence you can take and the date you can resume your studies will depend on how far into the academic year or term/teaching period you are and whether you will need to return to repeat any modules.

Changing Course or Leaving University

When and how you can change course, plus information on how this affects student finance, visas etc

How Can I Change Course at Aston?

It is sometimes possible to change your course to study another course at Aston. This can depend on whether you have the right grades for entry onto the course, the progress you have made on your existing course so far and if there is space for you on the new course. You need to start by deciding what course you would like to study and then contacting the admissions staff to see if they can offer you a place. It is not normally possible to change your course part way through the year and you may have to wait until the start of the next academic year to start your new course. 

For further advice please book an appointment with a Student Adviser via the Hub reception as changing course can impact on your SFE funding.

How can I Change to a Course at Another Institution?

You would normally need to apply for your new course through UCAS and it is not normally possible for you to start your new course at your new University part way through the year. You will probably find that you will need to wait until the start of the next academic year to start your new course.

Before making a decision to transfer to another university we advise that you book an appointment with a Student Adviser via the Hub reception as it may impact on your funding.