The College of Business and Social Sciences (BSS) is a multi-disciplinary research-focused College which brings together researchers in Aston Business School (ABS), Aston Law School (ALS) and the School of Social Sciences and Humanities (SSH). We are determined to find ways to further develop our research environment, particularly our postgraduate student provision, and as such we are offering up to six fully-funded PhD studentships.
To be successful, you will need to demonstrate your enthusiasm, diligence and organised approach as well as having a research idea that resonates with our departmental and research centre expertise. You can explore potential areas of interest, and supervisors, using the links found in the 'Research Areas' section below. Full details are also provided on the application process, the criteria for success and financial support provided.
The studentships are for full-time study over three years, commencing 1st October 2021 with a completion date of 30th September 2024.
- Research Areas
Applications are accepted for research in any of the College's academic departments. Please follow links below for information about the departments including staff who may be willing to supervise your project.
- Economics, Finance and Entrepreneurship
- Marketing and Strategy
- Operations and Information Management
- Work and Organisation
The College is also home to a number of Research Centres within which your research may also be supervised.
- Financial Support
Will be provided to the successful applicant to cover tuition fees at either the Home or Overseas rate plus a maintenance grant at the standard AHRC/ESRC rate (currently £15,609 p.a.) with the corresponding standard increases in subsequent years.
- Person Specification
- The successful applicant should have a first class or upper second class honours degree or equivalent qualification in a relevant subject area. They should have, or be near to completing, a postgraduate qualification such as a Masters or equivalent. An overall merit grade with merit in the dissertation is normally required.
Apply by completing the Postgraduate research application form including:
- A full research proposal;
- 2 written references;
- Photocopies of Undergraduate and Masters degree certificates along with full grade transcripts;
- Evidence of an approved English language qualification (if required).
In addition applicants must also submit a statement of maximum 500 words signed by themselves and their proposed supervisor outlining:
- Academic strengths of the candidate;
- Quality of the proposed project;
- Fit between the project and the College’s research environment, including the expertise of the supervisory team, any links to the College’s Research Centres and any support from external organisations.
Please use the following form to create the statement:
This statement must be emailed to email@example.com before the deadline.
DEADLINE: Applications must be submitted by 23.59 Monday 31st May 2021
FURTHER INFORMATION: For further information on how to apply please contact firstname.lastname@example.org