Objective 3: Leverage our place
We will embrace our city and enrich its cultural, physical and socio-economic environment. We will do this by:
- Evolving as an urban university – integrated within Birmingham city centre and driving city regeneration, prosperity and better health outcomes.
- Shaping the campus as a catalyst – for the development of the Birmingham Innovation Quarter (B-IQ) through strategic partnerships and joint ventures with the city and private sector using the triple-helix model of innovation
- Extending the Aston Triangle – both physically and virtually via the ‘hub and spoke’ model that involves interconnected Hubs across the city centre, regionally and internationally, all contributing to and augmenting Aston University core activities, engagement and impact.
Objective 4: Build digital enterprise
We will create an aglie learning organisation through digital transformation.
We will do this by:
- Adopting a Digital First approach – across the organisation to improve flexibility, responsiveness and productivity, and enhance staff and student experience.
- Developing and implementing a data enabled enterprise model – across the organisation to provide intelligent data analytics and insights in a timely manner for planning, decision making and continuous improvement.
- Enabling Ubiquitous Learning – that leverages effectively current and emerging digital technologies, including Artificial Intelligence (AI), augmented and virtual reality (AR/VR), digital twins and the metaverse, for education, training and research.
Objective 5: Transform businesses and communities
We will drive socio-economic impact through transformative innovation and inclusive growth.
We will be:
- Inclusive by playing a key role in the development of a vibrant innovation ecosystem to drive sustainability and inclusive growth across our diverse communities, building on our active Civic Engagement and commitment to the Race Equality Charter and University of Sanctuary platform.
- Entrepreneurial by nurturing and facilitating innovation in all quarters of the university and establishing an Enterprise Hub to create new businesses, develop entrepreneurs, and commercialise research through Aston University Ventures and Midlands Mindforge.
- Transformational by creating high value-add jobs and helping scale-up businesses, drive city regeneration, and lead in employability and social mobility, and by driving digital transformation and digital inclusion across businesses and communities through the creation of the Birmingham Innovation Quarter (B-IQ), incorporating the Digital Futures Institute, Digital Skills Academy, and Digital Health Hub with Health Tech Accelerator.