Student loans

There are two types of Government loans to help new students cover the costs of university or college: tuition fee loans and living cost loans (also called maintenance loans).

You pay these loans back when you finish your course and earn over £21,000.

  • tuition fee loans - available to help pay the cost of your tuition fees. They are paid directly to your university or college by the Government.

  • living cost loans (also called maintenance loans) - are available to full-time students to help pay for living costs such as food, travel and accommodation.

The Council of Mortgage Lenders has advised that a student loan is very unlikely to impact materially on your ability to get a mortgage.

Find out more about student loans.

Repaying the loans
You do not have to pay back your tuition fee or living cost loan until after you leave your course and are earning over £21,000 a year.

You repay your loans back at a rate of nine per cent of your income over £21,000. So if your salary is £25,000 a year, you pay nine per cent of £4,000, which is £6.92 a week.Your repayments will be deducted automatically each month from your pay.

Calculate your repayments.


Employable Graduates; Exploitable Research