3 or 4 years full-time
UCAS Code: B510 (BSc route) B512 (MOptom route)
Both courses have the same entry requirements. Should you need to you will have the opportunity to change course at enrolment.
Suitably qualified students can study Aston's Optometry programme in Italy or Singapore:
For students in Italy
For students in Singapore
A Levels: AAA if an applicant is taking two sciences. AAB if an applicant is taking three sciences.
IB: 34 points overall, including 6 points in Higher Level Biology and 6 points in Higher Level Chemistry or Physics, 5 points in Higher Level Maths or 6 points in Standard Level Maths and 5 points in Standard Level English.
Access: We do not accept Access courses for entry to this degree.
We welcome applications from students who have taken BTEC qualifications as a first option and who achieved five or more GCSEs (including Maths and English) at grade C or above. You must also meet the A-Level requirement listed below.
We do not encourage applications from students who are unsuccessful in obtaining the required number and/or standard of A-levels for admission to our programmes and subsequently embark on a BTEC as a second option. Instead we would encourage you to resit your A-levels (see our resit policy below).
- D*DD in BTEC National Diploma / BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Applied Science (Forensic Science, Laboratory & Industrial Science or Medical Science) together with grade B in A level in Science subject (Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics).
- DD in BTEC National Certificate / BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Applied Science (Forensic Science, Laboratory & Industrial Science or Medical Science). With these qualifications we also require grades A and B in two A level science subjects.
AAAAB in Scottish Highers, including Biology, Physics, Chemistry and Maths. 360 UCAS tariff points in Irish Leaving Certificate including a minimum of A2 in Biology, Maths, and Physics or Chemistry and excluding Irish.
2:1 Degree in a related field, with BBC at A-level inclduing two sciences. If applicants have not taken A-levels prior to Degree study, other qualifications will be considered on an individual basis.
Prospective students with a diploma in optometry from Ngee Ann Polytechnic and Singapore Polytechnic will be considered on an individual basis for 1st year entry.
Dispensing Opticians: Suitable applicants with FBDO status will be considered on an individual basis.
Second Year Entry: We have a limited amount of places available on the second year of our Degree for 2016/17. Applicants who are qualified Dispensing Opticians registered with ABDO, or who have taken a three year BSc in Ophthalmic Dispensing and have already achieved a 2:1 or above will be considered for this point of entry. Applicants with similar overseas qualifications will be considered on an individual basis. Please note, you will need to select the correct point of entry when applying to us through UCAS.
For students with good A-level (or equivalent) grades, but who narrowly miss our standard requirements, it is also possible to gain entry to this programme by completing a Foundation Year although please note the progression requirements to our programmes
Specific subject requirements:
- GCSE: Five GCSEs at grade C or above, including English and Maths grade B, Physics grade B (if not held at A level) or Dual Award Science grade BB.
- A level: Two sciences at A level, including Biology with either Maths or Physics. Chemistry may be acceptable as an alternative. General Studies not accepted as part of the offer. Additional AS/A levels welcomed.
Whilst the grades listed here are our entry requirements, we understand that predicted grades are only an estimate. We will therefore consider applicants with predicted grades that fall below these entry requirements if the application is of a high standard. However, any offer made will not be lower than stated above. Resit Students
- We welcome applications from students who have tried to improve their examination grades by taking a maximum of one set of resits. We treat these applications in exactly the same way as other applications. However, if you have had more than one attempt at improving your grades, your application will be considered on an individual basis and we reserve to make an amended (higher) offer, or not make an offer.
Please note, your full educational background is taken into account and all qualifications are considered when we make a decision on your application.
Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to provide evidence of an English language qualification. Find out more about our English language requirements
- UK/EU: £9,000
- International: £16,500