Entry requirements & fees
4 years full-time with integrated placement year or 3 years full-time
UCAS Codes: Biological Sciences (C112)
Cell and Molecular Biology (CC17)
Human Biology (B150)
Microbiology and Immunology (C550)
Please note you do not need to apply for more than one route through UCAS. The entry requirements are the same for all the routes.
A Levels: ABB-BBB including Biology or Human Biology.
Access to Science for mature students (21+) considered on an individual basis.
IB: 33 points (Biology Higher Level 6 points, plus another science subject at Higher Level)
- BTEC Subsidiary Diploma: D plus two A Levels including Biology at grade AB
- BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Applied Science: DD plus A level Biology at grade B
- BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Applied Science: D*DD.
- We welcome applications from students who have taken BTEC qualifications as a first option and who achieved five or more GCSEs (including Maths and English) at grade C or above.You must also meet the additional A-Level requirements listed above.
We also welcome international students with equivalent qualifications to apply for our programmes. For international students without equivalent qualifications, it is also possible to gain entry to this undergraduate degree programme by completing an International Foundation Programme at Aston University, although please note the progression requirements to our programmes. For students with good A-level (or equivalent) grades, but who narrowly miss our standard requirements, it is also possible to gain entry to this programme by completing a Foundation Year although please note the progression requirements to our programmes.
- We do not encourage applications from students who are unsuccessful in obtaining the required number and/or standard of A-levels for admission to our programmes and subsequently embark on a BTEC as a second option. Instead we would encourage you to resit your A-levels (see our resit policy below).
Specific subject requirements
- A level: Biology / Human Biology at A level grade B or above. Chemistry at A/AS level welcomed but not essential.
- GCSE: English and Maths grade C
Whilst the grades listed here are our entry requirements, we understand that predicted grades are only an estimate. We will therefore consider applicants with predicted grades that fall slightly below these entry requirements if the application is of a high standard. However, any offer made will not be lower than stated above.
- We welcome applications from students who have tried to improve their examination grades by taking a maximum of one set of resits. We treat these applications in exactly the same way as other applications. However, if you have had more than one attempt at improving your grades, your application will be considered on an individual basis and we reserve to make an amended (higher) offer, or not make an offer.
Please note, your full educational background is taken into account and all qualifications are considered when we make a decision on your application.
Applicants receiving offers are invited to an open day.
£9,000 (£1,000 during placement year) for UK/EU students (2015). More on fees
£16,000 for International students (2015)