Benefits of the scheme
Spending a year at an overseas university will provide you with an invaluable experience. You will:
- Improve your language skills
- Meet like-minded students and make new friends
- Experience differences between student life in the UK and overseas
- Demonstrate your ability to adapt to a new study environment to potential employers
- Show that you can work with people from different cultural backgrounds
What will the year involve?
- You will attend lectures and seminars at the overseas university and follow a course which complements your studies at Aston. Some universities also offer language programmes - developed specifically for Erasmus students.
- Your hours of study will vary depending on the course you choose and the institution where you're based. On average, you will attend lecture for between 15 and 20 hours per week
- You will be assessed during your time overseas and your marks will be transfered to Aston using the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS).
Where will I study?
Please see the list of partner universities HERE.
Will I have to pay extra?
You do not have to pay fees at these universities for your year abroad and you may also be eligible for funding via the European Commission’s Erasmus Programme.
How do I get a place?
The Placements Team will give you all the information you need on study options and courses at our partner universities. They can also assist you with completing the application forms.
How is the placement year assessed?
The placement year is worth 10% of the final degree result. Whether you spend your year in industry, at an overseas university or in the classroom, you'll be supported throughout the year by a tutor and a dedicated placements officer. Tutors tend to keep in regular contact via Skype and email and members of the international placement team may even arrange to visit students in person.
The way the placement year is assessed will depend on your Programme Route. For more information please speak to the relevant Academic Subject Group Placement contact.