Entry requirements & fees
4 years full-time with integrated placement year or 3 years full-time
UCAS Codes: Biological Sciences (C112)
Human Biology (B150)
Microbiology and Immunology (C550)
Please note you do not need to apply for more than one route through UCAS. The entry requirements are the same for all the routes.
A Levels: ABB-BBB including Biology or Human Biology.
Access to Science for mature students (21+) considered on an individual basis.
IB: 33 points (Biology Higher Level 6 points)
- BTEC Subsidiary Diploma: D plus two A Levels including Biology at grade AB
- BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Applied Science: DD plus A level Biology at grade B
- BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Applied Science: D*DD.
- We welcome applications from students who have taken BTEC qualifications as a first option and who achieved five or more GCSEs (including Maths and English) at grade C or above.You must also meet the additional A-Level requirements listed above.
International Foundation Programme in Science (Aston University)
- We do not consider applications from students who are unsuccessful in obtaining the required number and/or standard of A-levels for admission to our programmes and subsequently embark on a BTEC as a second option. Instead we would encourage you to resit your A-levels (see our resit policy below).
We also welcome international students with equivalent qualifications to apply for our programmes. For international students without equivalent qualifications, it is also possible to gain entry to this undergraduate degree programme by completing an International Foundation Programme at Aston University, although please note the progression requirements to our programmes.
International applicants expected to gain foundation diplomas from other providers are welcomed and will be considered on a case by case basis. Foundation Programme in Science (Aston University)
For students with good A-level (or equivalent) grades, but who narrowly miss our standard requirements, it is also possible to gain entry to this programme by completing a Foundation Year, although please note the progression requirements to our programmes. The minimum A level grades we consider for entry to Biology programmes via the Foundation Programme in Science are CCC, including a C in A level Biology.
Specific subject requirements
- A level: Biology / Human Biology at A level grade B or above. Chemistry at A/AS level welcomed but not essential.
- GCSE: Five GCSEs at grade C including English and Maths
Whilst the grades listed here are our entry requirements, we understand that predicted grades are only an estimate. We will therefore consider applicants with predicted grades of CCC If the application is of a high standard. However, any offer made will not be lower than stated above.
- We welcome applications from students who have tried to improve their examination grades by taking a maximum of one set of resits. We treat these applications in exactly the same way as other applications. However, if you have had more than one attempt at improving your grades, your application will be considered on an individual basis and we reserve to make an amended (higher) offer, or not make an offer.
Please note, your full educational background is taken into account and all qualifications are considered when we make a decision on your application.
Applicants receiving offers are invited to an open day.
Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to provide evidence of an English language qualification. Find out more about our English language requirements
£9,000 (£1,000 during placement year) for UK/EU students (2016). More on fees
£16,850 for International students (2016)