We believe our students should be supported as you develop into inquisitive and enthusiastic problem solvers capable of using a wide range of underpinning knowledge and technical skills to tackle the problems faced by industry today and into the future.
Our programmes introduce a full range of core engineering science modules coupled to practical projects to ensure a highly integrated and industry relevant degree programme.
The MEng degree takes the BEng and develops it to a full Masters level programme which fully meets all the academic requirements for Chartered Engineer status.
From year 1 you can expect to work on major projects often in partnership with commercial engineering companies. You will work with your colleagues, academic staff and engineers from industry to develop real solutions to these live problems
Our degree programmes are driven by the demands of industry to produce graduates with extremely strong engineering and scientific skills coupled to strong skills in project management, team work and commercial awareness.
Our BEng degrees are either a 3-year full-time or 4-year sandwich programme incorporating a year of relevant professional experience. The first year of our programme encompasses a broad study of the fundamental disciplines of mechanical engineering. These feature academic classes in engineering science and mathematics combined with large integrated projects to embed the learning in practical settings. In the projects we expect you to use and develop your skills and we help you understand new technology and concepts. You reflect industry practice and work in groups taking products from initial concept to built and tested prototype.
Your second year follows on with a similar structure of academic classes coupled to major group projects however the focus very much shifts from developing your basic skills to preparing you to become a professional engineer. You can then enter your placement or final year well equipped to meet all that will be demanded of you. Your third year features a major project, involving design, experimental or analytical work can also be tailored to suit your own interests.
The final year of the degree provides you with a mix of in depth technical modules integrated with further professional skills. In this year you will also work with colleagues on a substantial group project.
The flexible structure of our degrees enables transfer between Mechanical and ElectroMechanical and Design Engineering programmes after first year though only the Mechanical programme runs to MEng level. You can also transfer between full-time and placement programmes up to the end of second year.
The broad basis of our programme, together with the possibilities for specialisation, will make you attractive to employers from a wide spectrum of industries.
Year 1 Modules
- Design and Experimentation (ME1501)
- Prototyping and Development (ME1502)
- Electronic Engineering Foundations (ME1600)
- Engineering Science (ME1601)
- First Year Engineering Mathematics (ME11EM)
- Engineering Mathematics (AM21EM)
- Thermodynamics and Fluid Mechanics (ME2011)
- Quality Engineering (ME2018)
- Engineering Materials 1 (ME2019)
- Solid Mechanics (ME2045)
- Dynamics and Control Systems (ME2050)
- Design and Engineering for the User (ME2501)
- Engineering for Industry (ME2502)
- Advanced Thermodynamics (ME3011)
- Heat Transfer and Turbo-machinery (ME3013)
- Energy Efficiency (ME3023)
- Design Failure Analysis (ME3039)
- Final Year Project (ME3046)
- Advanced Dynamics and Control Systems (ME3055)
- Solid Mechanics and Finate Element Analysis (ME3070)
- Engineering Design and the Environment (ME3080)
Year P - Optional placement year
See placement year section or find out more about the Aston placement year.
- EAS Study Placement Year (SEP001)
- EAS Industrial Placement Year (SEP002)
- New Product Development (EM4006)
- Computational Fluid Dynamics and Applications (ME4501)
- Renewable Energy (ME4504)
- CAD Principles and Materials Selection (ME4505)
- Practical Numerical Methods (ME4510)
- MEng Group Project (ME4600)
- Strategic Management (EM4002)