Digital and Technology Solutions is the most established degree apprenticeship at Aston. It was one of the first degree apprenticeship offered in the UK and has developed capable professionals at companies including Virgin Media and Capgemini.
You will be immersed in a wide range of programming tools, methods and techniques. The course covers applied competence in the application of IT, promotes business awareness and delivers understanding of the issues central to IT organisations.
Who is this apprenticeship for?
This degree apprenticeship is for aspiring IT professionals as well as existing professionals who want to gain new skills and a formal degree qualification. The programme is designed to develop graduates who are creative and innovative and want to become future technical and business leaders.
The apprenticeship is taught at undergraduate level. The first stage starts with on-campus technical training in the foundations of technology solutions. This is followed by work-based learning tailored to the individual role in your business and blended learning, providing a foundation for further university study.
The second and third stages are split into two specialisms:
This specialism has a technical focus and teaches practical programming skills as well as the theoretical foundations of computer science.
This specialism has both technical and business focus and places particular importance on the understanding and management of data.
The programme is split into three stages with stage one common for both specialisms.
- Foundations of technology solutions
- Professional practice
- Problem solving
- Computer systems and networks
- Systems development
- Introduction to business organisations
- Internet computing.
Topics for both specialisms:
Topics for the Business Analyst specialism:
- Group project
- Professional and social aspects of computing
- Human-computer interaction
- Internet applications and techniques.
- Business analytics
- Introduction to accounting
- Introduction to business economics
- System and software analysis.
Topics for the Software Engineer specialism:
- Mathematics for computing professionals
- Software engineering
- Programming language concepts
- Operating systems
- Java program construction
- Data structures and algorithms with Java.
- Individual project
- Information security
- Software project management
- Data mining
- Strategic management - Business Analyst specialism only
- Testing and reliable software engineering - Software Engineer specialism only
- Interaction design - Software Engineer specialism only.
You will also have the opportunity to select some optional modules. Topics may include:
- Advanced database systems
- Enterprise computing strategies
- Managing people
- Effective management consultancy - Business Analyst specialism only
- International operations - Business Analyst specialism only
- Mobile development - Software Engineer specialism only
- Enterprise application technology - Software Engineer specialism only
- Geographic information systems - Software Engineer specialism only.