The degree looks at different aspects of economics and management. The synergy that is created by studying the fields of economics and management together enables our graduates to excel in their professional lives. Many employers regard our graduates as highly sought-after members of policy making and business teams.
The degree is designed to broaden the career options of our graduates and increase their employability. Those who pursue a more management orientated career are equipped with skills to analyse how changes in the economic environment affects their organisations and therefore make more informed and better decisions.
Those who pursue a more economics orientated career are equipped with practical management skills that enable them to effectively manage the teams they lead.
Aston Business School graduates are regularly recruited by some of the most successful and prestigious organisations around the world.
Subject guide & modules
A broad-based common first year provides a solid grounding in a wide range of business and management subjects. This helps to underpin your future more specialist studies. There is the flexibility to change course within Aston Business School after year 1.
In your first year you will study a wide range of modules designed to ensure you have a broad foundation and knowledge of management. You will consider the economic, financial, human and legal issues managers deal with and the tools and techniques they use. The modules are:
- Introduction to Financial Accounting
- Introduction to Management Accounting
- Introduction to Organisational Behaviour
- International Perspectives in Organisations
- Law for Business
- Introduction to Marketing Management
- Introduction to Business Analytics
- Principles of Operations Management
- Information Technology for Business
- Introduction to Micro Economics
- Introduction to Macro Economics
In the second year, our students start specialising in Economics and Management subjects. The modules will lay a solid foundation towards the studies in the final year. In addition to developing a good understanding of theories, there is also emphasis on application of the theories towards understanding how businesses and economies operate and subsequently devising polices to enhance their functioning.
- Business Policy
- Business Game
- Business, Government & Society
- Financial Management
- International Business Economics
- Principles of Macroeconomics
- Principles of Microeconomics
- Regional and Urban Economics
- Introduction to Econometrics I
- Introduction to Economterics II
- Emerging and Transitional Economies
Year 3 - Optional placement year
You will spend this year in professional placement or you may choose to take up an international study opportunity at one of our partner institutions. This year is compulsory for all UK and EU students.
See placement year section or find out more about the Aston placement year.
The final year continues in the vein as Year 2 with further specialisation in Economics and Management subjects and a strong emphasis on application of theories towards understanding and enhancing the functioning of businesses and economies.
During your final year you will study the following compulsory modules:
- Strategic Management*
- Economics of Multinational Enterprise
- Applied Econometrics and Forecasting
- Economics of Business Organisations
- Economics of Innovation
- Competition Policy: Theory
- Competition Policy: Practice
- Macroeconomic Policy
You will also undertake two single or one double optional module from the list below:
- Financial Economics
- International Trade
- International Finance
- Economics of Entrepreneurship