The module will cover the pathophysiology, detection, assessment and management of patients with disorders of the macula and retina. Ophthalmologic treatments will be examined, as well as the role of the optometrist in the screening and management of these conditions. New technologies for detection and treatment will be described, and there will be discussion of how these technologies might fit into optometric practice. The coursework assignment will involve the student building up a series of case reports linking theory to practice.
Areas covered will include:
- Retina and macula: structure and function
- Retinal detachment and vitreous disorders
- Retinal vessels: structure and functions
- Retinal venous and arterial disease
- Diabetic retinopathy and screening for diabetic retinopathy
- Age related macular degeneration
- Retina and macular dystrophies
- Systemic disorders and the retina
- Imaging techniques in retinal and macular disorders
- Basis of treatments for retinal disease.