How to enter the ﬁrst stage of the competition:
You need to submit -
- A two minute video outlining the idea behind the business and how it came about
- A completed business model canvas (more information on how to complete your business model canvas available in the Useful Resources section below). This provides an insight into the inner workings of your idea or business.
Aston University will be collaborating with Santander in order to identify our best student and graduate businesses. At this stage we’ll be providing support on campus through activities such as pitching and business planning workshops.
Wednesday 22nd February 2017 2pm – 4.30pm Pitching workshop
Wednesday 1st March 2017 2.30pm – 5pm Business Model Canvas workshop
Deadline to submit your video and completed business model canvas to firstname.lastname@example.org is 12pm on Friday 31st March 2017
Once all of the nominations from Santander’s partner universities have been received Santander will review them in order to identify a list of businesses that will be invited to the next stage of the competition. Please note that a maximum of 30 entries per category will be put forward to the next stage. All unsuccessful entries at this stage will receive an invite to a regional breakthrough event, get a feedback session with one of our local business managers and will be invited to join us as a guest at the regional and national ﬁnals.
In your video we’ll be looking for:
- A clear explanation of your business, its purpose and an understanding of the problem that it solves for customers
- An understanding of where your business or idea came from (i.e. personal challenge, as a result of studying)
- Evidence of how winning the competition would help you grow your business.
We’ll also be judging the completed business model canvas based on the information provided in each of the nine areas contained within the template. Please note that each area of the canvas will be weighted equally and that the video and business model canvas will both be worth 50% of the total score for this stage.