If you are travelling to Aston University by rail, coach or air, please see our maps and directions
page for information.
International students arriving in September - find out more and register for our airport meet and greet service
Driving to Aston and parking
If you are driving to Aston University please follow the directions and parking information below. Aston University is located on a green self contained campus in Birmingham city centre, not in Aston itself which is a suburb to the north of the city.
Note these directions are only for new students moving into campus for Freshers' Week in September.
Some visitors to Aston University have reported that their sat nav has directed them off the motorway too early, onto ring roads and less obvious routes. We recommend you use the directions below.
Directions and parking
From whichever direction you are approaching Birmingham, Aston University is best reached from the M6 motorway (not the M6 Toll, which bypasses the city). Our road map (PDF) shows the Birmingham city centre road system, and our campus map (PDF) shows the roads immediately around campus and carparks 6 and 12 where you should park.
- Exit the M6 at Junction 6, and follow signs for the A38(M) to the city centre. Ignore signs to 'Aston'. We are located in Birmingham City Centre, not Aston.
- Stay on the A38(M), Aston Expressway, for approximately two miles until you reach the third exit. This is just after you pass the overhead 'end of motorway' signs. Aston University is signposted from here. You will see the Aston University Main Building on your left.
- Take the LEFT filter lane here, and at the Lancaster Circus roundabout (next to the old Fire Station) take the first exit left into James Watt Queensway
- Keep straight on in the left hand lane, through two sets of traffic lights, passing the redbrick Lakeside university residences.
- At the third set of traffic lights, at the big crossroads junction, turn left onto the Jennens Road dual carriageway. To park on campus:
- turn left into carpark 12, OR
- immediately after the third set of traffic lights, turn left onto Woodcock Street, then take the first left into the car park 6.
Other routes to campus – from the South and West
Aston University is also close to the A4540 Birmingham Central Ring Road. Alternative routes to the campus from the South and West include the A45 from the M42 Junction 6, the A441 from the M42 Junction 2, The A456 from the M5 Junction 3 and the A38 from the M5 Junction 4.