Imporant pre-departure information from the UK Border Agency

As an Aston student looking forward to beginning your studies in Birmingham this year you will now start preparing for your journey. As part of your preparation we want to make sure you have everything you need to get through the UK border as securely and quickly as possible. The following advice explains some of things you can do to help with this:

1. Make a note of a suitable UK contact including full name, address and a phone number which will be required when you complete your landing card.  

2. Ensure you complete your landing card before you meet the Border Force officer in the UK.  

3. If you carry your passport in a protective wallet, please take it out before you present it to a Border Force officer.

4. Never give false or misleading information (including forged or counterfeit documents) to a Border Force officer.  

5. Have your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) letter and medical card (if you have one) in your hand luggage that you carry with you on to the aircraft. If you don’t have a CAS letter, please bring thorough details of your course of study.  Keep any medical documentation, recent bank statement and details of where you are staying in your hand luggage, we may ask to see this information.

6. There are restrictions on food products that you can bring to the UK from outside the European Union, even for personal use. Restrictions apply to products made from meat, dairy, fish, eggs and honey, as well as some fruit, vegetables and plants (e.g. bulbs, seeds, cut flowers and tree bark).

7. There are also restrictions on the amount of goods such as tobacco, alcohol and gifts you can bring in the UK. If you exceed your allowances all of your goods can be taken away from you.

8. Never bring in counterfeit goods, illegal drugs, firearms (including realistic imitations), offensive weapons (including knives) or indecent or obscene material.  

9. Make sure you are familiar with the conditions of your visa including the number of hours you are allowed to work.  

10. You must declare any sums of cash of €10,000 or more (or the equivalent in another currency) if you are travelling from a country outside the European Union.

If you would like further information on any of the above please check the UK Border Agency for more information 

There will be dedicated student lanes at some of our airports so keep a look out for these when you arrive.  

Never give false or misleading information (including forged or counterfeit documents).

Employable Graduates; Exploitable Research