Welcome to Library & Information Services. We hope that you will find the Library an enjoyable place to study and work.
We aim to:
- Provide a comprehensive library service to you, to support all your learning and research needs throughout your study here at Aston.
- Provide the most appropriate information resources, delivered in the most convenient manner, whether you are full time, part time, a member of University staff or researcher, undergraduate, postgraduate, a distance learner or have a disability or other additional need.
- Continually evaluate our services to ensure that they are as relevant and up to date as possible.
- Seek feedback from you about our performance.
In return, we ask you to:
- Show courtesy and respect towards other users of the Library and Library staff
- Take due care of all Library materials, facilities and equipment.
- Return all the books you have borrowed on time so that they are available for others
- Ensure that copyright regulations and database licensing restrictions are observed.
We aim to:
- Provide an environment in which it is pleasant to work and study.
- Treat everyone with respect and courtesy and be approachable and helpful
- Ensure that anyone with a disability or additional support need will be treated equally and with sensitivity
- Make sure that our services are responsive to your changing needs
- Provide all staff with customer care training
- Ensure that all staff wear an identification badge
- Ensure that adequate provision is made for you to comment on our services
- Quality of service delivery will be continually monitored
- Utilise comments and suggestions and regular user surveys to help improve our services
- Ensure that your privacy is respected at all times in compliance with the Data Protection Act 1998
- Display Library regulations on all floors and on the Library website
- Maintain ‘Investors in People’ accreditation and train staff to the highest possible standards.
We aim to:
- Provide an Enquiries service to everyone, in person, by email, by telephone or by post
- Publicise our opening hours, both outside the Library building and via the website and ensure that term time and vacation opening hours are notified in advance
- Offer the flexibility of renewing material online and placing reservations on books currently on loan
- Enable you to opt to receive Library notices via email or post
- Provide online access to the Library catalogue to make it easier for you to check what material is available
- Provide off-campus access to electronic resources to ensure that they are available when and where you need them
- Provide appropriate spaces within the Library building for group work and individual silent study
- Provide the fullest service possible at all times, within the constraints of available financial resources and staff
- Provide access to the University network and the Internet via our open access PC labs and wireless network.
We aim to:
- Consult with academic staff and students about the best resources for purchase
- Provide as wide a range of books, journals (printed and electronic) and other sources of information, within the constraints of the budget, to meet your study needs
- Ensure that as many of our resources as possible can be accessed by those with a disability or other additional need
- Promote the use of electronic resources through regular displays and demonstrations
- Offer you support or library training so that you can make best use of the resources available
- Participate in reciprocal schemes such as SCONUL Access to enable you to use facilities and resources at libraries that are more convenient to you
- Enable you to access resources remotely via our website by negotiating off-campus access to databases whenever possible.
- Ensure that the information on our website is kept as up to date as possible.
How you can help us to improve our services
- Please email any comments, suggestions or complaints to email@example.com. Alternatively, you can complete one of our comments forms available at Reception or from the Help desk.
- We aim to respond to any suggestions or complaints within 2 working days.