I am interested in understanding cognition across ages (children, adults and older adults) and in pathological conditions such as those involving a stroke (e.g., aphasia) or a metabolic disorder (e.g., Phenylketonuria). I am particularly interested in memory and language. I value an approach focused on the individual and on an assessment of patterns of spare and impaired functions. In aphasia I have successfully applied analyses of the errors made by patients to pin-point the level of linguistic impairments. I strongly value a theoretical, interdisciplinary approach between neuropsychology, linguistics, cognitive science and the neurosciences.
- Memory, language and Cognition (across ages)
- Neuropsychology (diagnosis, rehabilitation, theoretical and clinical implications)
- Developmental Dyslexia
- Cognition in Inherited Metabolic Disorders
- 2001 - Present Senior lecturer, School of Life and Health Sciences, Aston University, Birmingham, UK.
- 2013 - Present Lead of Aging Mind Cluster of ARCHA, Aston Research Centre for Healthy Aging
- 2012 - Present Honorary Fellow Queen Elisabeth Hospital
- 1992 - 1994 Research Fellow, School of Psychology, University of Birmingham, UK.
- 1990 - 1992 Research Associate, Department of Psychology, Rice University, Houston,Texas.
- 1992 Ph.D. in Psychology, The Johns Hopkins University Baltimore, USA
- 1983 Doctor in Psychology, 110/110 cum laude, University of Rome - Rome, Italy
- Marie Curie European Fellowship
- University of Rome
- University of Birmingham
- University Hospital Birmingham
- Fondazione Santa Lucia IRCCS
- Romani, C., Olson , A. & Tsouknida, E. (2014).Order encoding and lexical learning: Contributions to developmental dyslexia. Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology, 68, 1, 99-128.
- Goslin, J., Galluzzi, C., & Romani, C. (2014). Phonitalia: a phonologica lexicon for Italian. Behavior Research Methods,46,3, 872-886.
Bormann, T., Romani, C., Olson, A. & Wallesch, C.W. (2014). Morphological-compound dysgraphia in an aphasic patient: "a wild write through the lexicon". Cognitive Neuropsychology, 31, 75-105.
Olson, A.C., & Romani, C. (2011). Model evaluation and case series data. CognitiveNeuroPsychology, 28, 486-499.
- Romani, C., Tsouknida, E., di Betta, A-M, & Olson A. (2011). Reduced attentional capacity, but normal processing speed and shifting of attention in developmental dyslexia: Evidence from a serial task. Cortex,47, 715-733.
- Romani, C., Galluzzi. & Olson, A C (2011). Phonological-lexical activation: A lexical component or an output buffer? Evidence from aphasic errors. Cortex,47, 217-235.
- Romani, C., Galluzzi, C., Bureca, I. & Olson, A. (2011). Effects of syllable structure in aphasic errors: Implications for a new model of speech production. CognitivePsychology, 62, 151-192.
Olson, A., Romani, C. & Caramazza A. (2010). The analysis and interpretation of serial position data. Cognitive Neuropsychology, 27, 134-151.
- Romani, C., Di Betta, A.M., Tsouknida, E. & Olson, A. (2008). Lexical and nonlexical processing in developmental dyslexia: A case for different resources and different impairments. Cognitive Neuropsychology, 25(6), 798-830.
- Romani, C. Mc Alpine, S., Olson, A., & Martin, R. C. (2008). Concreteness effects in different tasks: Evidence for semantic STM. Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology. 61,2, 293-324.
- Olson, A.C., Romani, C. & Halloran, L. (2006). Localizing the deficit in a case of jargonaphasia. Cognitive Neuropsychology, 24, 2, 211-238.
- Di Betta, A-M & Romani, C. (2006). Lexical learning and dysgraphia in a group of adults with developmental dyslexia. Cognitive Neuropsychology, 23, 3, 376-400.
- Romani, C., Mc Alpine, S, Olson, A., Tsouknida, E. & Martin, R. C. (2005). Length, lexicality and articulatory suppression in immediate serial recall: Evidence against the articulatory loop. Journal of Memory and Language, 52, 398-415.
- Romani, C. & Galluzzi, C. (2005). Effects of syllabic complexity in predicting accuracy of repetition and direction of errors in patients with articulatory and phonological difficulties. Cognitive Neuropsychology. 22, 7, 817-850.
- Romani, C., Olson, A., Ward, J., & Ercolani , M. G. (2002). Formal lexical paragraphias in a single case study: How ‘masterpiece’ becomes ‘misterpieman’ and ‘curiosity’ ‘suretoy’. Brain and Language, 83, 300-334.
- Romani, C., Olson, A., Semenza, C., & Grana’ (2002). A. Patterns of phonological errors as a function of a phonological vs. an articulatory locus of impairment. Cortex, 38, 541-567.
- Ward, J. * & Romani, C. (2000). Consonant-vowel Encoding and Ortho-syllables in a case of Acquired Dysgraphia. Cognitive Neuropsychology, 17(7), 641-663.
- Romani, C. & Martin, R. C.(1999). A deficit in the short-term memory of lexical semantic information: Forgetting words, but remembering a story. Journal of Experimental Psychology: General, 128 (1), 56-77.
- Romani, C., Olson, A., & Ward, J. (1999). Developmental surface dysgraphia: What is the underlying cognitive impairment? Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology. 52A (1), 97-128.
- Ward, J. *& Romani, C. (1998). Serial position effects and lexical activation in spelling: Evidence from a single case study. Neurocase, 4, 189-206.
- Romani, C. & Calabrese, A. (1998) Syllabic constraints on the phonological errors of an aphasic patient. Brain and Language. 64, 83-121.
- Ward, J. *& Romani, C. (1996). Serial position effects in a case of deep dysgraphia. Brain and Language, 55 (1), 124-127.
- Romani, C., Grana’, A., & Semenza, C. (1996). More errors on vowels than on consonants: An unusual case of conduction aphasia. Brain and Language, 55 (1), 144-146.
- Romani, C. & Calabrese, A. (1996). On the representation of geminate consonants: evidence from aphasia. Journal of Neurolinguistics, 9 (3), 219-235.
- Romani, C. & Stringer, M. (1994). Developmental dyslexia: A problem acquiring orthographic/phonological information in the face of good visual memory and good short-term memory. Brain and Language, 57(3), 482-485.
- Humphreys, G., Romani, C., Olson, A., Riddoch, M.J. & Duncan, J. (1994). Non -spatial extinction: Evidence for object -based selection in vision. Nature 372, 357-359.
- Martin, R. C. & Romani, C. (1994). Verbal working memory and sentence comprehension: A multiple components view. Neuropsychology. 8 (4), 506-523.
- Romani, C. (1994). Phonological short-term memory and syntactic parsing: A case study. Language and Cognitive Processes. 9 (1), 29-67.
- Romani, C. (1992). Are there distinct input and output buffers? Evidence from a brain-damaged patient. Language and Cognitive Processes, 7 (2), 131-162.
- Romani, C. & Calabrese, A. (1992). The representation of syllable structure: Evidence from an aphasic patient. Brain and Language, 39 (4), 593-593.
- Hillis, A., Rapp, B., Romani, C., & Caramazza, A. (1990). Selective impairment of semantics in lexical processing. Cognitive Neuropsychology, 7(3), 191- 243.
- Caramazza, A., Hillis, A., Rapp, B. & Romani, C. (1990). The multiple semantics hypothesis: Multiple confusions? Cognitive Neuropsychology, 7(3), 161-189.
- Miceli, G., Silveri, M.C., Romani, C., & Caramazza, A. (1989). Variation in the pattern of omissions and substitutions of grammatical morphemes in the spontaneous speech of so called agrammatic patients. Brain and Language, 36, 447-492.
- Caramazza, A., Laudanna, A., & Romani, C. (1988). Lexical access and inflectional morphology. Cognition, 28, 297-332.
- Caramazza, A., Miceli, G., Villa, G., & Romani, C. (1987). The role of the graphemic buffer in spelling: Evidence from a case of acquired dysgraphia. Cognition, 26, 59-85.
- Sam Westwood Ph.D. current (DSTL-Ministry of Defence)
- Raffaele Nappo Ph.D. current (ARCHA & University of Rome in co-tutelle)
- Lilian Rodriquez Ph.D. current (co-supervision with Andrew Olson, UoB)
- Louse Lander MA current (co-supervision with Andrew Olson, UoB)
- Effie Tsouknida Ph.D. 2009
- Claudia Galluzzi Ph.D. 2005 (co-supervision with Andrew Olson, UoB)
- Anna Maria di Betta Ph.D. 2001
- Sheila MacAlpine Ph.D. 1999
- Jamie Ward Ph.D. 1998
Associate Editor of Cognitive Neuropsychology
Dr. C Romani / Aston University / last updated January 2015