Professor of Ophthalmology
School of Life and Health Sciences
Birmingham B4 7ET
Heart of England NHS Foundation Trust
Honorary Senior Lecturer, University of Birmingham Medical School
E mail: email@example.com
Telephone +44 (0) 121 204 3800
Co-ordinator of clinical teaching in ophthalmology, Undergraduate Optometry Programme
Vision, Hearing and Language
Aston Research Centre for Healthy Ageing (ARCHA)
Centre for Research in Vision and Hearing(CRVH)
- 1971-1976: Medical College of St.Bartholomew’s Hospital, University of London.
- 1977-1978: Pre-registration house jobs in London and Edinburgh.
- 1978-1981: Senior House Office and Registrar in Ophthalmology, Princess Alexandra Eye Pavilion, Royal Infirmary Edinburgh.
- 1981-1986: Lecturer/Hon.Senior Registrar in Ophthalmology, University of Leicester and Leicester Royal Infirmary
- 1986-2011: Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon, Birmingham and Midland Eye Centre, Sandwell & West Birmingham NHS Trust.
- 1986-current: Consultant Ophthalmologist Birmingham Heartlands and Solihull Hospitals, Heart of England Foundation Trust
- 1990-current: Honorary Senior Lecturer, University of Birmingham Medical School
- 2007-current: Personal Chair in Ophthalmology, Aston University
Third Year Undergraduate
Hospital Ophthalmology Clinical Teaching
Diabetic Retinopathy Screening Module
Aston Ophthalmology Referral Clinic (with Dr. Doina Gherghel)
Current Research Interests
Imaging of the human fundus – collaboration: Dr. Antonio Calcagni, Professor Ela Claridge, Dr.Iain Styles, University of Birmingham.
Age related macular degeneration
Diabetic retinopathy – collaboration Professor Paul Dodson, Heart of England NHS Foundation Trust;
Retinal vascular disorders
European Vision Institute Clinical Trials Network -; Collaborator Prof. Jose Cunha Vaz, Coimbra, Portugal.
Enhanced Vision Programme -: Collaboration Professor Yit Yang Wolverhampton, Professor Victor Chong Oxford, Dr.Jennifer Acton ,Columbia University, New York.
1997-2003: Member of Council, The Royal College of Ophthalmologists, London
2001-2002: Director of Research and Development, Heartlands Solihull NHS Trust
2001-2002: Past President Midland Ophthalmological Society
1995-2001: Regional Adviser in Ophthalmology, Royal College Surgeons, Edinburgh.
1993-2009: Examiner in Ophthalmology, Royal College Surgeons, Edinburgh
1991- current: Examiner for Royal College of Ophthalmologists
2003-2006: Chairman Solihull Division, British Medical Association.
2005-2008: College Tutor, Royal College of Ophthalmologists
1997-2004: Overseas examiner, FRCSEd Ophthalmology Saudi Arabia and India and Bahrein.
2010-current: Co- Chair Birmingham and Black Country CLRN Research Network Ophthalmology and Vision Science
Publications and Presentations
Author of 93 research and clinical papers, 1 textbook and 5 book chapters
CLINICAL RETINOPATHIES. Dodson, Gibson, Kritzinger. Chapman & Hall Publishers, London, November 1994
S.M.Eames, J.M.Gibson and J.N.West : Hypertensive Retinopathy. In C-E Mogensen ed. Target Organ Damage in the Mature Hypertensive ,London, Science Press Ltd 1993, 1.11-1.20.
J.M.Gibson: Diabetic retinopathy; Diabetic maculopathy. In Key Topics in Ophthalmology. BIOS Scientific Publishers Ltd, London 1995 ; 89-99.
J.M.Gibson: Diabetic retinopathy; Diabetic maculopathy. In Key Topics in Ophthalmology, BIOS Scientific Publishers, London, 2001.
J.M.Gibson:”Other ophthalmic lesions in the fundus”. In Diabetic Retinopathy, Oxford Diabetes Library, Oxford University Press, 2008.
J.M.Gibson; “Ophthalmic treatment of diabetic retinopathy”, in Diabetic Retinopathy, Oxford Diabetes Library, Oxford University Press, 2008
Publications since 2001
- Lip PL, Blann AD, Hope-Ross M, Gibson JM, Lip GY. Age-related macular degeneration is assopciated with increased vascular endothelial growth factor, haemorheology and endothelial dysfunction. Ophthalmology 2001; 108:705-710.
Gibson JM. .Editorial : Confocal scanning laser Doppler flowmetry in retinovascular disease Eye 2001; 15:259-260.
- Cheung CM, Kumar V, Saeed T, Gibson JM, Murray PI. Acute annular outer retinopathy. Arch Ophthalmol 2002; 120: 993.
- Denniston A, Banerjee S, Gibson JM, Dodson P. Does cardiovascular therapy affect the recurrence of preretinal and vitreous haemorrhage in diabetic eye disease? Clin Exp Ophthalmol 2002;30(suppl):A 390
- Banerjee S, Denniston A, Gibson JM, Dodson P. Do cardiovascular therapies affect onset of preretinal and vitreous haemorrhages in diabetic patients? Clin Exp Ophthalmol 2002; 30(suppl):A 389.
- Chaterjee S, Gibson JM. Photodynamic therapy: a treatment option in choroidal neovascularisation secondary to punctate inner choroidopathy. Br J Ophthalmol 2003;87:925-27
- Harding S, Greenwood R, Aldington S, Gibson J, Qwens D, Taylor R, Kohner E, Scanlon P, Leese G.; Diabetic Retinopathy Grading and Disease Management Working Party. Grading and disease management in national screening for diabetic retinopathy in England and Wales. Diabet Med 2003; 20: 965-71
- S.Banerjee, AKO Denniston, JM Gibson, PM Dodson. Does cardiovascular therapy affect the onset and recurrence of preretinal and vitreous haemorrkage in diabetic eye disease? Eye 2004, 18:821-825.
- Lip PL, Chaterjee S, Caine GJ, Hope-Ross M, Gibson J, Blann AD, Lip GY. Plasma endothelial growth factor, angiopoietin-2, and soluble angiopoietin receptor tie-2 in diabetic retinopathy: effects of laser photocoagulation and angiotensin receptor blockade. Br J Ophthalmol 2004, 88:1543-6
- Al- Husainy SS, Farmer J, Gibson JM, Dodson PM. .Is measurement of blood pressure worthwhile in the diabetic eye clinic? Eye, 2005, 19: 312-316.
Gibson J. Editorial: Photodynamic therapy with verteporfin for juxtafoveal choroidal neovascularisation secondary to pathological myopia. Eye 2005,18:829-830
- Denniston AK, BanerjeeS, GibsonJM, Dodson PM. Cardiovascular therapies and their role in diabetic eye disease. Diabet Med 2005;22 : 665-6
- analysis of multi-spectral fundus images. Med Image Annal 2006:10: 578-97.
- Cubbidge RP, Hosking SL, Hilton EJ, Gibson JM. Regression analysis of ranked segment parameters for optic nerve head classification: a pilot study. Ophth Phys Opt 2007; 27: 194-200.
- Al-Hussainy S, Dodson PM, Gibson JM. Pain Response and follow up of patientsundergoing panretinal laser photocoagulation with reduced exposure times. Eye 2008 22:96-99.
Gibson JM. Screening for eye disease in the elderly: is it worth it? Br J Hosp Med 2009; 70(10): 554 - 555.
Berrow EJ, Bartlett HE, Eperjesi F, Gibson JM The electroretinogram: a useful tool for evaluating age-related macular disease? Doc Ophthalmol. 2010 Aug;121(1):51-62. Epub 2010 Mar 16. Review
Musadiq M, Gibson J. Spontaneous resolved macroaneurysm associated with a congenital anomalous retinal artery. Retinal cases and brief reports 2010; 4: 70-72
- Bhatnagar AJ, GibsonJM, El-Sherbiny S. Spectral Domain Optical Coherence Tomography Can Detect Visible and Subthreshold Laser Burns Using 532-nm Laser. Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging. 2010 Dec 1;41 Online:e1-3. doi: 10.3928/15428877-20101124-09.
Everdell NL, Styles IB, Calcagni A, Gibson J, Hebden J, Claridge E Multispectral imaging of the ocular fundus using light emitting diode illumination. Rev Sci Instrum. 2010 Sep;81(9):093706
Patel SR, Bellary S, Qin L, Gill PS, Taheri S, Heitmar R, Gibson JM, Gherghel D Abnormal retinal vascular function and lipid levels in a sample of healthy UK South Asians. Br J Ophthalmol. 2011 Nov;95(11):1573-6. Epub 2011 Mar 1
- Acton JH, Cubbidge RP, King H, Galsworthy P, Gibson JM. Drusen detection in retro-mode imaging by a scanning laser ophthalmoscope.Acta Ophthalmol. 2011 Aug;89(5):e404-11. doi: 10.1111/j.1755-3768.2011.02123.x. Epub 2011 Feb 18
Calcagni A, Gibson JM, Styles IB, Claridge E, Orihuela-Espina F Multispectral retinal image analysis: a novel non-invasive tool for retinal imaging. Eye (Lond). 2011 Sep 9. doi: 10.1038/eye.2011.202. [Epub ahead of print]
Completed Research Grants
2003-2005: Co grant holder with Professor Ela Claridge, Birmingham University, of EPSRC Grant for £120k to investigate and develop and new means of fundus imaging interpretation.
2003- 2008: Principal Investigator at BMEC, Cohort Study of Verteporfin -PDT laser in AMD. Sponsor ; NHS
2004-2006: Principal Investigator Anecortave Acetate Trial in AMD
2005-2007: Principal Investigator,EXCITE and SECURE studies in AMD , sponsor Novartis
2008 – 2011: Principal Investigator , VIEW 2 Study of VEGF Trap in AMD, Aston University, Sponsor Bayer-Schwering..
2009-2011: Principal Investigator unrestricted educational grant £29,000 “Teleophthalmology Project”; sponsor Novartis.
Current Research Grants
2008- current: Principal Investigator IVAN Trial at BMEC, sponsor MRC/NHS
2009- 2012: Co- investigator Aston/Birmingham Retinal Imaging Group - Dunhill Charity “multispectral imaging of the fundus” awarded £98,000
2011- current: Principal Investigator RET-2010 trial, at MIDRU HEFT NHS Trust, sponsor EVICR.Net
2011-current: Principal Investigator RELIGHT Study of Lucentis in DMO, at MIDRU, HEFT NHS Trust. Sponsor Novartis
2011-current: Principal Investigator LUMINOUS Study, Sponsor Novartis.
2011-current: Principal Investigator, EuroCondor Study by EVICR.Net, EU FP7 Grant for €330,000.
2011-current: Collaborative study with Belfast – “assessment of preferential hyperacuity perimetry in monitoring of wet AMD Patients.” Unrestricted grant of £6,000 from Novartis.
Membership of Professional Bodies
- Fellow Royal College of Ophthalmologists
- Member British Medical Association
- Fellow Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Midland Ophthalmological Society
- Medical Retina Group (Co-founder)
- Fellow Royal Society of Medicine
Reviewer for NIHR, Diabetes UK, British Journal of Ophthalmology, Eye, Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology