Professor Paul L Furlong MPhil., PhD
Telephone: +44 (0) 121 204 4058
Basic and Applied Neurosciences
Aston Brain Centre
Director, Aston Brain Centre
Current and Recent Funding
MRC Building multi-site clinical research capacity in MEG. Furlong, Holliday, Kessler (2013- present) £1,022,533
Dr Hadwen Trust (2011 – 2016) Translational humane research programme using MEG for non-invasive studies of human brain. Prof P.L.Furlong, Dr C Witton £432,000
Lord Dowding Fund for Humane Research (2010 – 2015).‘Functional imaging programme grant for humane research’ Prof P.L.Furlong, Prof S. Seri, Dr J.B. Talcott, Dr NJ Thai. £250,000
SIF Funding Aston Brain Centre £4.8 million infrastructure initiative PI Professor P.L.Furlong
Wellcome Trust Equipment Grant Ref: 088314/Z/09/Z (2009-2012)‘Development of a paediatric MEG system’ Prof P.L.Furlong, Dr I.E. Holliday, Prof S Seri, Dr J.B.Talcott, Dr C Witton. For the development of one of the world’s first whole brain systems optimised for measurements with children. £1,000,000
RCUK Fellowship in Translational Research Methods (2006-2011). Dr I Stanford and Prof P.L.Furlong £125,000
Dr Hadwen Trust (2006 – 2011) Translational humane research programme using MEG for non-invasive studies of human brain. Dr P.L.Furlong, Dr G.R. Barnes, Dr C Witton £326,000
Medical Research Council G0600965(2007-2009) Studies of human psycho-physiological responses to visceral pain Prof Q Aziz, Prof S Lightman, Prof P.L.Furlong £400,096
Dr Hadwen Trust for Humane Research (2007-2010) – PhD Studentship Prof P.L. Furlong £25,000
Lord Dowding Fund for Humane Research. (2005-2010) ‘Establishment of a new functional imaging facility for humane research’ Dr P.L.Furlong and Dr K.D.Singh. £400,000
Lord Dowding Fund for Humane Research. Reference . ‘Auditory Processing ’.Amount of grant: �60,000 for a two year period from April 2003 Dr Caroline Witton and Dr P.L.Furlong
Lord Dowding Fund for Humane Research. Reference 162. ‘Central nervous system processing of human gut sensation in health and disease’ Dr P.L.Furlong, Dr Q Aziz, Mr A Hobson.Amount of grant: �79,568 for a two year period from September 2002.
Birmingham Childrens Hospital Research Foundation Award. ‘Localisation of language function in children using functional brain imaging’ Amount of grant: �27,409 one year from January 2003
Wellcome Trust and HEFCE Joint Equipment Initiative; 055377/Z/98/Z/ST/RC’CTF Inc 151-channel whole head MEG system with RAID server and two PC’s Amount of grant: �1, 520,547 five years from January 1st 1999
International Journal Articles (Refereed)
1. Rossiter HE, Worthen SF, Witton C, Hall SD, Furlong PL. Gamma oscillatory amplitude encodes stimulus intensity in primary somatosensory cortex. Front Hum Neurosci. 2013;7:362.
2. Farmer AD, Coen SJ, Kano M, Paine PA, Shwahdi M, Jafari J, Kishor J, Worthen, SF, Rossiter HE, Kumari V, Williams SC, Brammer M, Giampietro VP, Droney J, Riley J, Furlong PL, Knowles CH, Lightman SL, Aziz Q. Psychophysiological responses to pain identify reproducible human clusters. Pain. 2013 May 25.
3. McAllister CJ, Rönnqvist KC, Stanford IM, Woodhall GL, Furlong PL, Hall SD.Oscillatory beta activity mediates neuroplastic effects of motor cortex stimulation in humans. J Neurosci. 2013 May 1;33(18):7919-27.
4. Witton C, Patel T, Furlong PL, Henning GB, Worthen SF, Talcott JB. Sensory thresholds obtained from MEG data: Cortical psychometric functions. Neuroimage. 2012 Aug 11;63(3):1249-1256. doi: 10.1016/j.neuroimage.2012.08.013. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 22902921.
5. Witton C, Hillebrand A, Furlong PL, Henning GB. A novel binaural pitch elicited by phase-modulated noise: MEG and psychophysical observations. Cereb Cortex. 2012 Jun;22(6):1271-81. Epub 2011 Aug 10. PubMed PMID: 21832287.
6. Worthen, S.F., Hobson, A.R., Hall, S.D., Aziz, Q. & Furlong, P.L. (2011). Primary and secondary somatosensory cortex responses to anticipation and pain: a magnetoencephalography study. European Journal of Neuroscience; 33(5): 946-959.
7. Hall SD, Stanford IM, Yamawaki N, McAllister CJ, Rönnqvist KC, Woodhall GL,Furlong PL. (2011) The role of GABAergic modulation in motor function related neuronal network activity. Neuroimage Epub Feb 12
8. Hall SD, Barnes GR, Furlong PL, Seri S, Hillebrand A. (2010) Neuronal network pharmacodynamics of GABAergic modulation in the human cortex determined using pharmaco-magnetoencephalography. Hum Brain Mapp. (4):581-94.
9. Adjamian P, Worthen SF, Hillebrand A, Furlong PL, Chizh BA, Hobson AR, Aziz Q, Barnes GR. (2009) Effective electromagnetic noise cancellation with beamformers and synthetic gradiometry in shielded and partly shielded environments. J Neurosci Methods. 30;178(1):120-7.
10. Fisher AE, Furlong PL, Seri S, Adjamian P, Witton C, Baldeweg T, Phillips S, Walsh R, Houghton JM, Thai NJ. (2008) Interhemispheric differences of spectral power in expressive language: A MEG study with clinical applications. Int J Psychophysiol. May;68(2):111-22.
11. Hobson AR, Furlong PL, Aziz Q. Oesophageal afferent pathway sensitivity in non-erosive reflux disease. (2008) Neurogastroenterol Motil. Apr 13.
12. Barnes, G.R., Furlong, P.L., Singh, K.D., Hillebrand, A. (2006) A verifiable solution to the MEG inverse problem, Neuroimage ,Jun;31(2):623-6
13. Hobson AR, Furlong PL, Sarkar S, Matthews PJ, Willert RP, Worthen SF,Unsworth BJ, Aziz Q. (2006) Neurophysiologic assessment of esophageal sensory processing in noncardiacchest pain. Gastroenterology, Jan;130(1):80-8.
14. Michael I.G. Simpson, Avgis Hadjipapas, Gareth R. Barnes, Paul L. Furlong and Caroline Witton, (2005) Imaging the dynamics of the auditory steady-state evoked response, Neuroscience Letters, Sep 16;385(3):195-7.
15. Hall, S.D., Holliday, I.E., Hillebrand, A., Furlong, P.L., Singh, K.D. and Barnes, G.R. (2005) Distinct contrast response functions in striate and extra-striate regions of visual cortex. Clinical Neurophysiology, Volume 116, Issue 7:1716-1722
16. Hillebrand, A., Singh, K.D., Holliday,I.E., Furlong, P.L., Barnes, G.R. A new approach to neuroimaging with magnetoencephalography. (2005) Human Brain Mapping, 25: 199-211.
17. Brookes, M.J., Gibson, A.M., Hall, S.D., Furlong, P.L., Barnes, G.R., Hillebrand, A., Singh, K.D., Holliday, I.E., Francis, S.T., Morris, P.G. (2005)GLM-Beamformer Method demonstrates stationary field, Alpha ERD and Gamma ERS co-localisation with fMRI BOLD response in visual cortex. Neuroimage, 26(1):302-8..
18. Stephen D. Hall, Ian E. Holliday, Arjan Hillebrand, Krish D Singh, Paul L. Furlong, Avgis Hadjipapas and Gareth R. Barnes. (2005) The missing link: concurrent human and primate cortical gamma oscillations. Neuroimage, 26(1):13-7.
19. Hobson, A.R., Furlong, P.L., Worthen, S.F., Hillebrand, A., Barnes, G.R., Singh, K.D., Thompson, D.G andAziz, Q. (2005) Real time imaging of human cortical activity evoked by painful esophageal stimulation. Gastroenterology.,128(3):610-9.
20. Furlong, P.L., Hobson, A.R*., Aziz, Q., Barnes, G.R., Singh, K.D., Hillebrand, A., Thompson, D.G., Hamdy, S. (2004) Dissociating the spatio-temporal characteristics of cortical neuronal activity associated with human volitional swallowing in the healthy adult brain. Neuroimage, 22(4); 1447-1455.
21. Hall, S.D., Barnes, G.R., Hillebrand, A., Furlong, P.L., Singh, K.D and Ian E. Holliday. (2004) Magnetoencephalographic observations of cortical activity in migraine visual aura.Headache, 44(3): 204-8.
22. Furlong, P.L., Aziz, Q., Singh, K.D., Thompson, D.G., Hobson, A., and Harding, G.F.A. (1998) Cortical localisation of magnetic fields evoked by Oesophageal distension. Electroenceph.clin.Neurophysiol., 108: 234-243.