Ph.D., Clinical Neurophysiology, Aston University, Birmingham, 1998.
MPhil., Clinical Neurophysiology, Aston University, Birmingham, 1990.
- 2006-date Professor of Clinical Neuroimaging
- 2003-06 Senior Lecturer in Psychology, Neurosciences Research Institute.
- 2005-date Convenor, Neuroimaging Research Group.
- 2000-date Director, Wellcome Trust Laboratory for MEG Studies.
- 2000-date Director, Clinical Neurophysiology Unit.
- 2000-03 Lecturer in Psychology, Neurosciences Research Institute.
- 1990-00 Executive Officer, School of Life and Health Sciences.
Director, Aston Brain Centre
Director, Wellcome Trust Laboratory for MEG Studies, Aston University.
Director, Clinical Neurophysiology Unit, Aston University.
Vice Chairman, School Ethics Committee.
Chairman, Psychology Ethics Committee.
University Technical Staff Review Board.
University Academic Related Staff Review Board.
Elected to the Council of the British Society of Clinical Neurophysiologists June 2000.
British Society for Clinical Neurophysiology.
RCUK Academic Fellowship in Translational Research in Neuroscience. Dr P.L.Furlong, Dr I Stanford, Dr G Woodhall, Prof S Seri (125,000).
Dr Hadwen Trust for Humane Research ‘Translational humane research programme using MEG for non-invasive studies of the human brain’ Dr P.L. Furlong, Dr G.R.Barnes, Dr C. Witton. (�362,012).
VSM MedTech – ‘Clinical MEG development and training’ Dr P L Furlong, Dr G.R.Barnes, Dr J.B.Talcott (�105,000).
GlaxoSmithKline ‘Models of visceral hypersensitivity and viscero-somatic pain’, Professor Q.Aziz, Dr A.R. Hobson Dr P.L.Furlong and. �45,000 for one year commencing January 2006. Co-applicant with University of Manchester.
GlaxoSmithKline – ‘Neuro-physiological effects of an energy drink load during the performance of a demanding cognitive task’. Michael W. Green, Paul L. Furlong, David Benton. (�68,014).
Lord Dowding Fund for Humane Research. ‘Establishment of a new functional imaging facility for humane research’ Dr P.L.Furlong and Dr K.D.Singh. (�400,000).
Dr Hadwen Trust for Humane Research. ‘ Development of neuropharmacology’.Dr G Barnes, Dr A Hillebrand, Dr P.L.Furlong. (�102,647).
BBSRC BBS/B/15562 ‘Dynamics of integrative neural processes within the human visual cortex’.Dr I.E.Holliday, Prof. S.A. Anderson, Dr G.Barnes, Dr P.L.Furlong, Prof. G Green, Dr A Hillebrand, Dr K.D. Singh. (�789,000).
The Wellcome Trust. ‘Clinical Gastrointestinal Physiology Laboratory Dr P.L.Furlong, Dr Q Aziz and Mr A Hobson. (�28,000).
Lord Dowding Fund for Humane Research. Reference . ‘Auditory Processing ’.Amount of grant: �60,000 for a two year period from April 2003 Dr Caroline Witton and Dr P.L.Furlong
Lord Dowding Fund for Humane Research. Reference 162. ‘Central nervous system processing of human gut sensation in health and disease’ Dr P.L.Furlong, Dr Q Aziz, Mr A Hobson.Amount of grant: �79,568 for a two year period from September 2002.
Birmingham Childrens Hospital Research Foundation Award. ‘Localisation of language function in children using functional brain imaging’ Amount of grant: �27,409 one year from January 2003
Wellcome Trust and HEFCE Joint Equipment Initiative; 055377/Z/98/Z/ST/RC’CTF Inc 151-channel whole head MEG system with RAID server and two PC’s Amount of grant: �1, 520,547 five years from January 1st 1999
Lord Dowding Fund for Humane Research. Reference 152. ‘Central nervous system processing of human gut sensation in health and disease’. Amount of grant: �73,696 for a two year period from August 2000
Wellcome Trust Travel fund TG99/MEP/SRD – Australian lecture tour and visit to the International Society for Brain Electromagnetic Topography Amount of grant: �1,110 October 1999
Wellcome Trust Pilot study award: 043689/Z/95/Z/WRE/MK/JAT ‘Studies of the central and peripheral modulation of human gut sensation in health and disease’ Amount of grant: �4,133 1st August 1995
International Journal Articles (Refereed)
- Barnes, G.R., Furlong, P.L., Singh, K.D., Hillebrand, A. A verifiable solution to the MEG inverse problem, Neuroimage. 2006 Jun;31(2):623-6. Epub 2006 Feb 9.
- Michael I.G. Simpson, Avgis Hadjipapas, Gareth R. Barnes, Paul L. Furlong and Caroline Witton, Imaging the dynamics of the auditory steady-state evoked response, Neurosci Lett. 2005 Sep 16;385(3):195-7.
- Hall, S.D., Holliday, I.E., Hillebrand, A., Furlong, P.L., Singh, K.D. and Barnes, G.R. Distinct contrast response functions in striate and extra-striate regions of visual cortex. Clinical Neurophysiology, Volume 116, Issue 7, July 2005, Pages 1716-1722
- Hillebrand, A., Singh, K.D., Holliday,I.E., Furlong, P.L., Barnes, G.R. A new approach to neuroimaging with magnetoencephalography. Human Brain Mapping, 2005, 25: 199-211.
- Brookes, M.J., Gibson, A.M., Hall, S.D., Furlong, P.L., Barnes, G.R., Hillebrand, A., Singh, K.D., Holliday, I.E., Francis, S.T., Morris, P.G. GLM-Beamformer Method demonstrates stationary field, Alpha ERD and Gamma ERS co-localisation with fMRI BOLD response in visual cortex. Neuroimage, 2005, 26(1):302-8..
- Stephen D. Hall, Ian E. Holliday, Arjan Hillebrand, Krish D Singh, Paul L. Furlong, Avgis Hadjipapas and Gareth R. Barnes. The missing link: concurrent human and primate cortical gamma oscillations. Neuroimage 2005, 26(1):13-7.
- Hobson, A.R., Furlong, P.L., Worthen, S.F., Hillebrand, A., Barnes, G.R., Singh, K.D., Thompson, D.G and Aziz, Q. Real time imaging of human cortical activity evoked by painful esophageal stimulation. Gastroenterology., 2005, 128(3):610-9..
- Fisher A.E., Barnes G.R., Hillebrand A, Burrow C, Furlong P.L., Holliday I.E. Can you tell your clunis from your cubitus? A benchmark for functional imaging.
BMJ. 2004 Dec 18;329(7480):1492-3
- Matthew J. Brookes; Andrew M. Gibson; Stephen D. Hall; Paul L.Furlong; Gareth R. Barnes; Arjan Hillebrand; Krish D. Singh; Ian E. Holliday; SueT.Francis and Peter G. Morris. A General Linear Model for MEG Beamformer Imaging. NeuroImage, 2004,Volume 23 (3); 936-946.
- Gow, D, Hobson, A, Furlong, P, Hamdy, S. Characterising the central mechanisms of sensory modulation in human swallowing motor cortex. Clin Neurophysiol. 2004 Oct;115(10):2382-90.
Furlong, P.L. , Hobson, A.R*., Aziz, Q*., Barnes, G.R. , Singh, K.D., Hillebrand, A. , Thompson, D.G*., Hamdy, S*. Dissociating the spatio-temporal characteristics of cortical neuronal activity associated with human volitional swallowing in the healthy adult brain. Neuroimage, 2004, 22(4); 1447-1455.
- Hobson, A.R., Khan, R.W., Sarkar, S., Furlong, P.L., Thompson, D.G., Woolf, C., Aziz, Q. The contribution of central sensitisation to the development of oesophageal hypersensitivity following experimental duodenal acidification. Am J Gastroenterol. 2004, May;99(5):813-20
- Hall, S.D., Barnes, G.R., Hillebrand, A., Furlong, P.L., Singh, K.D and Ian E. Holliday. Magnetoencephalographic observations of cortical activity in migraine visual aura. Headache, 2004, 44(3): 204-8.
- Adjamian P., Barnes G.R., Hillebrand A., Holliday I.E., Singh K.D., Furlong P.L., Harrington E., Barclay C.W., Route P.J.G. Co-registration of magnetoencephalography with magnetic resonance imaging using bite-bar-based fiducials and surface-matching. Clinical Neurophysiology, 2004, 115, 3: 691-698.
- D. I. Hobday, A. R. Hobson, S. Sarkar, P. L. Furlong, D. G. Thompson, and Q. Aziz. Cortical processing of human gut sensation: an evoked potential study. Am. J. Physiol., GI, 2002: 283-335
- Sarkar, S., Hobson, A.R., Furlong, P.L., Woolf, C.J., Thompson, D.G. and Aziz, Q. Central neural mechanisms mediating human visceral hypersensitivity. Am.J.Physiol., 2001, 281: G1196-G1202
- Hobday, D.I., Hobson, A., Furlong, P.L., Thompson, D.G. and Aziz, Q. Comparison of cortical potentials evoked by mechanical and electrical stimulation of the rectum. Neurogastroenterol.Mot., 2000, 12: 547-554.
- Hobson, A.R., Sarkar, S., Furlong, P.L., Thompson, D.G. and Aziz, Q. A cortical evoked potential study of afferents mediating esophageal sensation. American Journal of Physiology, 2000 (GI) 279: G139-G147.
- Hobson, A.R., Sarkar, S., Furlong, P.L., Thompson, D.G. and Aziz, Q. Identification of the optimal parameters for recording cortical potentials evoked by mechanical stimulation of the human oesophagus. Neurogastroenterol. Mot. 2000 Apr, 12 (2). 163-172
- Hobson, A.R., Aziz, Q., Furlong, P.L., Barlow, J.D., Bancewicz, J. and Thompson, D.G. Identification of the optimal parameters for recording cortical evoked potentials to human oesophageal electrical stimulation.
- Neurogastroenterol.Mot., 1998, 10: 421-430.
Furlong, P.L., Aziz, Q., Singh, K.D., Thompson, D.G., Hobson, A., and Harding, G.F.A. Cortical localisation of magnetic fields evoked by Oesophageal distension. Electroenceph.clin.Neurophysiol., 1998, 108: 234-243.
- Singh, K. D., Holliday, I. E., Furlong, P. L., and Harding, G. F. A. Evaluation of MRI-MEG/EEG co-registration strategies using Monte Carlo simulation. Electroenceph.clin.Neurophysiol., 1997, 102: 81-85.
- Aziz, Q., Furlong, P. L., Barlow, J., Hobson, A., Alani, S., Bancewicz, J., Ribbands, M., Harding, G. F. A., and Thompson, D. G. Topographic mapping of cortical potentials evoked by distension of the human proximal and distal oesophagus. Electroenceph.clin. Neurophysiol., 1995, 96: 219-228.
Furlong, P. L., Wimalaratna, S., and Harding, G. F. A. Augmented P22-N31 SEP component in a patient with a unilateral space occupying lesion. Electroenceph.clin.Neurophysiol., 1993, 88: 72-76.
Furlong, P., Barczak, P., Hayes, G., and Harding, G. F. A. Somatosensory evoked potentials in Schizophrenia. A lateralisation study. Brit.J.Psychiat., 1990, 157: 881-887.
- Drasdo, N., and Furlong, P. Co-ordinate systems for evoked potential topography. Electroenceph.clin.Neurophysiol., 1988, 71: 469-473.
- Wright, C. E., and Furlong, P. L. Visual evoked potentials in elderly patients with primary or multi-infarct dementia. Brit.J.Psychiat., 1988, 152: 679-682.
- Jeavons, P. M., Harding, G. F. A., Drasdo, N., Furlong, P. L., and Bishop, A. I. Visual display units and epilepsy. Lancet, 1985,