Lecturer in Optometry
Optometry EPD Framework Director
Member of the Optometry Teaching Programme
Address: School of Life and Health Sciences
B4 7ET, UK
Vision, Hearing and Language
Aston Research Centre for Healthy Ageing (ARCHA)
Centre for Research in Vision and Hearing(CRVH)
2011-date: Lecturer in Optometry, Aston University
2010-2011: Research Fellow (0.8 FTE) and Lecturer (0.2 FTE) in Optometry, Aston University
2007-2010: PhD Researcher, Aston University
Qualifications & education
2013: FHEA, Fellow of the UK Higher Education Academy
2010: PhD in Optometry, Aston University
2004: MCOptom, Membership of the College of Optometrists
2004: General Optical Council registration
2003: BSc (Hons) Optometry with First Class Honours, Aston University
Module leader: Investigative Ophthalmic Science (2013 onwards; DOptom/ DOphSc; OP4IOS)
Supervisor: Elective Studies (BSc Optometry; OP3ES1)
Accommodation and Presbyopia (DOptom/ DOphSc; OP4AAP)
Primary Optometric Examination (BSc Optometry; OP2POE)
Research interests and funding
Ocular accommodation and presbyopia
Intraocular lens (IOL) technology
Domiciliary eye care and quality of life
Current research projects have received funding from the UK College of Optometrists and the Central (LOC) Fund.
(14) Sheppard, A. Learning styles and motives of students undertaking a United Kingdom professional doctorate. Journal of Perspectives in Applied Academic Practice (In press).
(13) Wolffsohn, J, Jinabhai, A, Kingsnorth, A, Sheppard, A, Naroo, S, Shah, S, Buckhurst, P, Hall, L & Young, G. (2013) Exploring the optimum step size for defocus curves. Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery. Vol 39 pp 873-880.
(12) Sheppard, A, Shah, S, Bhatt, U, Bhogal, G & Wolffsohn, JS. (2013) Visual outcomes and subjective experience after bilateral implantation of a new diffractive trifocal intraocular lens. Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery. Vol 39 pp 343-349.
(11) Sheppard, A, Wolffsohn, J, Bhatt, U, Hoffman, P, Scheider, A, Hutz, W & Shah, S (2013) Clinical outcomes following implantation of a new hydrophobic acrylic toric IOL during routine cataract surgery. Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery. Vol 39 pp. 41-47
(10) Bhatt, U, Sheppard, A, Shah, S, Dua, H, Mihashi, T, Yamaguchi, T & Wolffsohn, J,S (2012) Design and validity of a miniaturized open-field aberrometer. Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery. doi: 10.1016/j.jcrs.2012.08.052.
(9) Alderson, A, Davies, LN, Mallen, EAH & Sheppard, A (2012) A method for profiling biometric changes during disaccommodation. Optometry and Vision Science, vol 89, no. 5, pp. E738-E748.
(8) Shah, S, Sheppard, A, Castle, J, Baker, D, Buckhurst, P, Naroo, SA, Davies, LN & Wolffsohn, JS (2012) Refractive outcomes of laser-assisted subepithelial keratectomy for myopia, hyperopia, and astigmatism using a 213 nm wavelength solid-state laser Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, vol 38, no. 5, pp. 746-51.
(7) Wolffsohn, JS, Sheppard, A, Vakani, S & Davies, LN (2011) Accommodative amplitude required for sustained near work Ophthalmic and Physiological Optics, vol 31, no. 5, pp. 480-486.
(6) Sheppard, A, Evans, CJ, Singh, KD, Wolffsohn, JS, Dunne, MCM & Davies, LN (2011) Three-dimensional magnetic resonance imaging of the phakic crystalline lens during accommodation. Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol 52, no. 6, pp. 3689-3697.
(5) Sheppard, A & Davies, LN (2011) The effect of ageing on in vivo human ciliary muscle morphology and contractility. Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol 52, no. 3, pp. 1809-1816.
(4) Sheppard, A & Davies, LN (2010) In vivo analysis of ciliary muscle morphologic changes with accommodation and axial ametropia Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol 51, no. 12, pp. 6882-6889.
(3) Sheppard, A, Bashir, A, Wolffsohn, JS & Davies, LN (2010) Accommodating intraocular lenses: a review of design concepts, usage and assessment methods Clinical and Experimental Optometry, vol 93, no. 6, pp. 441-452.
(2) Sheppard, AL & Davies, LN (2010) Clinical evaluation of the Grand Seiko Auto Ref/Keratometer WAM-5500 Ophthalmic and Physiological Optics, vol 30, no. 2, pp. 143-151.
(1) Sheppard, AL, Dunne, MCM, Wolffsohn, JSW & Davies, LN (2008) Theoretical evaluation of the cataract extraction-refraction-implantation techniques for intraocular lens power calculation Ophthalmic and Physiological Optics, vol 28, no. 6, pp. 568-76.