Lecturer in Optometry
Optometry EPD Framework Director
Member of the Optometry Teaching Programme
Address: School of Life and Health Sciences
B4 7ET, UK
Ophthalmic Research group (ORG)
Aston Research Centre for Healthy Ageing (ARCHA)
- 2011-date: Lecturer in Optometry, Aston University
- 2010-2011: Research Fellow (0.8 FTE) and Lecturer (0.2 FTE) in Optometry, Aston University
- 2007-2010: PhD Researcher, Aston University
Qualifications & education
- 2014: SFHEA, Senior Fellow of the UK Higher Education Aacdemy
- 2013: FHEA, Fellow of the UK Higher Education Academy
- 2010: PhD in Optometry, Aston University
- 2004: MCOptom, Membership of the College of Optometrists
- 2004: General Optical Council registration
- 2003: BSc (Hons) Optometry with First Class Honours, Aston University
- Module leader: Investigative Ophthalmic Science (2013 onwards; DOptom/ DOphSc; OP4IOS)
- Supervisor: Elective Studies (BSc Optometry; OP3ES1)
- Accommodation and Presbyopia (DOptom/ DOphSc; OP4AAP)
- Primary Optometric Examination (BSc Optometry; OP2POE)
Research interests and funding
- Ocular accommodation and presbyopia
- Intraocular lens (IOL) technology
- Ocular biometry
- Domiciliary eye care and quality of life
Current research projects have received funding from the UK College of Optometrists and the Central (LOC) Fund.
(18) Wolffsohn J. Hall L, Mroczkowska S, Hunt OA, Bilkhu P, Drew T and Sheppard AL (2015) The influence of end of day silicone hydrogel daily disposable contact lens fit on ocular comfort, physiology and lens wettability. Contact Lens and Anterior Eye (In press April 2015).
(17) Bhogal-Bhamra G, Wolffsohn J, Sheppard A, Naroo S, Shah S and Buckhurst P (2015) The Effect of Dilation on Toric Intraocular Lens Aligning and Centring. Advances in Ophthalmology and Visual System. Vol 2 pp28-31.
(16) Dhallu,S Sheppard,AL Wolffsohn,JS (2014) Evaluating the effect of splitting cylindrical power on improving patient tolerance to toric lens misalignment. Contact Lens and Anterior Eye. 37, 191-195
(15) Wolffsohn,JS Drew,T Dhallu,S Sheppard,A Hofmann,GJ Prince,M (2013) Impact of soft contact lens edge design and midperipheral lens shape on the epithelium and its indentation with lens mobility. Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science. 54, 1690-1696
(14) Sheppard, A. (2013) Learning styles and motives of students undertaking a United Kingdom professional doctorate. Journal of Perspectives in Applied Academic Practice Vol 1 doi: 10.14297/jpaap.v1i1.40
(13) Wolffsohn, J, Jinabhai, A, Kingsnorth, A, Sheppard, A, Naroo, S, Shah, S, Buckhurst, P, Hall, L & Young, G. (2013) Exploring the optimum step size for defocus curves. Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery. Vol 39 pp 873-880.
(12) Sheppard, A, Shah, S, Bhatt, U, Bhogal, G & Wolffsohn, JS. (2013) Visual outcomes and subjective experience after bilateral implantation of a new diffractive trifocal intraocular lens. Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery. Vol 39 pp 343-349.
(11) Sheppard, A, Wolffsohn, J, Bhatt, U, Hoffman, P, Scheider, A, Hutz, W & Shah, S (2013) Clinical outcomes following implantation of a new hydrophobic acrylic toric IOL during routine cataract surgery. Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery. Vol 39 pp. 41-47
(10) Bhatt, U, Sheppard, A, Shah, S, Dua, H, Mihashi, T, Yamaguchi, T & Wolffsohn, J,S (2012) Design and validity of a miniaturized open-field aberrometer. Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery. doi: 10.1016/j.jcrs.2012.08.052.
(9) Alderson, A, Davies, LN, Mallen, EAH & Sheppard, A (2012) A method for profiling biometric changes during disaccommodation. Optometry and Vision Science, vol 89, no. 5, pp. E738-E748.
(8) Shah, S, Sheppard, A, Castle, J, Baker, D, Buckhurst, P, Naroo, SA, Davies, LN & Wolffsohn, JS (2012) Refractive outcomes of laser-assisted subepithelial keratectomy for myopia, hyperopia, and astigmatism using a 213 nm wavelength solid-state laser Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, vol 38, no. 5, pp. 746-51.
(7) Wolffsohn, JS, Sheppard, A, Vakani, S & Davies, LN (2011) Accommodative amplitude required for sustained near work Ophthalmic and Physiological Optics, vol 31, no. 5, pp. 480-486.
(6) Sheppard, A, Evans, CJ, Singh, KD, Wolffsohn, JS, Dunne, MCM & Davies, LN (2011) Three-dimensional magnetic resonance imaging of the phakic crystalline lens during accommodation. Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol 52, no. 6, pp. 3689-3697.
(5) Sheppard, A & Davies, LN (2011) The effect of ageing on in vivo human ciliary muscle morphology and contractility. Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol 52, no. 3, pp. 1809-1816.
(4) Sheppard, A & Davies, LN (2010) In vivo analysis of ciliary muscle morphologic changes with accommodation and axial ametropia Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, vol 51, no. 12, pp. 6882-6889.
(3) Sheppard, A, Bashir, A, Wolffsohn, JS & Davies, LN (2010) Accommodating intraocular lenses: a review of design concepts, usage and assessment methods Clinical and Experimental Optometry, vol 93, no. 6, pp. 441-452.
(2) Sheppard, AL & Davies, LN (2010) Clinical evaluation of the Grand Seiko Auto Ref/Keratometer WAM-5500 Ophthalmic and Physiological Optics, vol 30, no. 2, pp. 143-151.
(1) Sheppard, AL, Dunne, MCM, Wolffsohn, JSW & Davies, LN (2008) Theoretical evaluation of the cataract extraction-refraction-implantation techniques for intraocular lens power calculation Ophthalmic and Physiological Optics, vol 28, no. 6, pp. 568-76.