Teaching Activity on the MPharm Programme
PH2503 (Module coordinator): Powder characterisation – size reduction, separation, analysis, powder properties; solid dosage forms other than tablets and capsules, solid state characterisation; Overview of the drug development process; Packaging of pharmaceutical dosage forms; Pre-formulation and re-formulation of pharmaceutical products.
PH3603: Modified release systems – orally disintegrating tablets.
Qualifications & education
- PhD, Aston University (Supervisor, Prof Yvonne Perrie) (2004)
- MSc Sheffield Hallam University (2001)
- Bachelor of Pharmacy (1999)
- 2015 - present: Reader in Pharmaceutics
- 2011- 2015 : Senior Lecturer in Pharmaceutics, Aston University
- 2007- 2011: Lecturer in Pharmaceutics, Aston University
- 2004-2007: Research Fellow, Aston University (PI, Prof Yvonne Perrie)
- Member of Academy of Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Member of Controlled Release Society
- Member of United Kingdom and Ireland Controlled Release Society
Invited Oral Presentations
- “Cell Based Taste Assessment Technologies” (2015) UKPharmSci, Nottingham
- “Applicability of cell based assays for taste prediction of pharmaceutical products” (2014) EuPFi, Athens, Greece.
- “Process and excipient considerations in the development of directly compressed orally disintegrating tablets” (2014) UKPharmSci, Hertfordshire.
- “Molecular, Micro, Nano analyses: diagnostic investigations to de-risk development of compressed orally disintegrating tablets” (2013) UKPharmSci Edinburugh.
- “Systems Biology and Oral Drug absorption” presented at Solubility conference March (2012), Munich, Germany.
- “Novel formulations of Rapidly Disintegrating Tablets” presented at symposium on Rapidly Disintegrating Tablets 14th February (2011), Leicester, UK.
- "Introduction to orally disintegrating tablets" presented at NHS Pharmaceutical Quality Assurance Service Annual Symposium 27th – 28th September (2010) Birmingham.
- “Novel zero saccharide fast disintegrating tablets” presented at the British Pharmaceutical Conference. Sept 9-11 (2009): Manchester: U.K
- “Solubilisation of poorly soluble drugs: engineering nanosystems” NHS Pharmaceutical Quality Assurance Service Annual Symposium 6th – 7th October (2008) Manchester.
- “How to avoid cold chain in pharmaceutical product development” presented at SMI conference on cold chain distribution Feb (2008) London.
- “Product development of sub unit TB vaccines” presented at the EU 6th framework meeting Jan 31-3Feb (2006): Switzerland.
- “The development of liposomal sub unit TB vaccine: bench to clinic” presented at the British Pharmaceutical Conference. Sept 4-6 (2006): Manchester: U.K.
Formulation development and optimization of orally disintegrating tablets
Formulation and stability testing of oral liquid nano medicines
Understanding the gene expression profiling of drug delivery systems using microarrays
Evaluation of gene expression changes during oral drug absorption in vitro
Recent research funding
My research group gratefully acknowledge the support of: Advantage West Midlands, Aston University, Apex Healthcare Ltd, BBSRC, Colorcon Ltd, Common Wealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan, EPSRC, Innovate UK, MRC, Pharmaspec Ltd, Pharmatrust Ltd, Quest Heathcare Ltd, Technology Strategy Board (TSB), Viridian Pharma Ltd, Wellcome Trust.
Jasdip Koner, Ali RajabiSiahboomi, James Bowen, Dan Kirby, Yvonne Perrie and Afzal R Mohammed* (2015) A holistic and multievidence study to understand the fragmentation behaviour of mannitol. Nature Scientific Reports DOI 10.1038/srep16352.
Eman Dahmash and Afzal R Mohammed (2015) Functionalised particles using dry powder coating in pharmaceutical drug delivery: promises and challenges. Expert opinion on drug delivery (Accepted).
Amr ElShaer, Waseem Kaialy, Noreen Akhtar, Affiong Iyire, Tariq Hussain, Raid Alany and Afzal R Mohammed (2015) A methodological evaluation and predictive in silico investigation into the multi-functionality of arginine in directly compressed tablets. European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics (Accepted).
Ali Al-Khattawi, Jasdip Koner, Peter Rue, Dan Kirby, Yvonne Perrie, Ali Rajabi-Siahboomi, Afzal R Mohammed (2015) A pragmatic approach for engineering porous mannitol and mechanistic evaluation of particle performance. European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics (Accepted).
Craig Russell, Sumyra Begum, Yasar Hussain, Majad Hussain, David Huen, Ayesha S Rahman, Yvonne Perrie and Afzal R Mohammed. (2015) Paediatric Drug Development of Ramipril: Reformulation, In Vitro and In Vivo Evaluation. Journal of Drug Targeting (Accepted).
Ali Al-khattawi, Hamad Alyami, Bill Townsend, Xianghong Maand Afzal R Mohammed (2014) Evidence-Based Nanoscopic and Molecular Framework for Excipient Functionality in Compressed Orally Disintegrating Tablets. PLOS ONE – Accepted.
Ali Al-khattawi and Afzal R Mohammed (2014) Challenges and Emerging Solutions in the Development of Compressed Orally Disintegrating Tablets. Expert Opinion On Drug Discovery – Accepted.
Amr ElShaer, Peter Hanson, and Afzal R Mohammed (2014) A novel concentration dependent amino acid ion pair strategy to mediate drug permeation using indomethacin as a model insoluble drug. European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences -Accepted
Ali Al-Khattawi, Affiong Iyire, Tom Dennison, Eman Dahmash, Clifford J Bailey, Julian Smith, Peter Rue, Afzal R Mohammed (2014) Systematic Screening of Compressed ODT Excipients: Cellulosic Versus Non -Cellulosic. Current Drug Delivery (Accepted)
Ali Al-khattawi and Afzal R Mohammed (2014) Excipients in Medicines for Children: Scientific and Regulatory Paradigms. European Pharmaceutical Review (Accepted)
Ali Al-khattawi and Afzal R Mohammed (2013) Compressed Orally Disintegrating Tablets: Excipients Evolution and Formulation Strategies. Expert Opinion in Drug Delivery. 10, 5, 651 - 663.
Hesham Tawfeek, Evans AR, Ifitkhar A, Afzal Mohammed, Shabir A, Somavarapu S, Gillian Hutcheon, Imran Saleem (2013) Dry powder inhalation of macromolecules using novel PEG-co-polyester microparticle carriers International Journal of Pharmaceutics. Accepted.
Craig Russell, Ayesha Rahman and Afzal R Mohammed (2013) Application of genomics, proteomics and metabolomics in drug discovery, development and clinic. Therapeutic Delivery. 4 (3) 395 - 413.
Amr ElShaer, Defang Ouyang, Peter Hanson, and Afzal R Mohammed (2013).Application of molecular simulation studies in the development of amino acid based pharmaceutical salts of ciprofloxacin. Journal of Pharmaceutics and Drug Delivery Research.Accepted
Amr ElShaer, Peter Hanson and Afzal R Mohammed (2013) A systematic and mechanistic evaluation of aspartic acid as a filler for directly compressed tablets containing trimethoprim and trimethoprim aspartate. European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics. 83, 3, 468 - 476.
Ali Al-khattawi, Ahmad Aly, Yvonne Perrie, Peter Rue and Afzal R Mohammed (2012) Multi Stage Strategy to Reduce Friability of Directly Compressed Orally Disintegrating Tablets. Drug Delivery Letters 2, 195-201.
M H Ali, Behfar Moghaddam, Daniel J Kirby, Afzal R Mohammed, Y. Perrie (2012) The role of lipid geometry in designing liposomes for the solubilisation of poorly water soluble drugs. International Journal of Pharmaceutics (Accepted).
Sheraz Khan, Imran Saleem, Hannah Batchelor, Peter Hanson, Yvonne Perrie, and Afzal R Mohammed (2012) Dissolution rate enhancement, in vitro evaluation and investigation of drug release kinetics of chloramphenicol and sulphamethoxazole solid dispersions. Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy. 39, 5, 704 - 715.
Amr ElShaer, Peter Hanson, Tony Worthington, Peter Lambert and Afzal R Mohammed (2012). Preparation and Characterization of Amino Acids-Based Trimethoprim Salts Pharmaceutics 4(1), 179-196.
Yvonne Perrie, Raj K Singh Badhan, Daniel J Kirby, Deborah Lowry, Afzal R Mohammed and Defang Ouyang (2012) The impact of ageing on the barriers to drug delivery. Journal of Controlled Release.161(2):389-98.
Sheraz Khan, Hannah Batchelor, Yvonne Perrie, and Afzal R Mohammed (2012) Release mechanism based on polymer-drug dissolution and stability studies of paracetamol solid dispersions Proceedings of the 2nd Electron. Conf. Pharm. Sci., 1-31 May 2012; Sciforum Electronic Conferences Series.
Perrie, Yvonne, Bibi, Sagida, Lattmann, Eric, Afzal Mohammed (2012) Trigger release liposome systems: local and remote controlled delivery? Journal of Microencapsulation 29(3):262-76.
Behfar Moghaddam, Sarah Mcneil, Qinguo Zheng, Afzal Mohammed, Yvonne Perrie (2011) Exploring the correlation between lipid packaging in lipoplexes and their transfection efficacy.Pharmaceutics 3(4), 848-864.
Rhys J. Jones , Ali Rajabi-Siahboomi , Marina Levina , Yvonne Perrie and Afzal R. Mohammed (2011)The Influence of Formulation and Manufacturing Process Parameters on the Characteristics of Lyophilized Orally Disintegrating Tablets. Pharmaceutics, 3, 440-457.
AlHusban, F., Perrie, Y., Mohammed, A.R (2011) Formulation of Multiparticulate Systems as Lyophilised Orally Disintegrating Tablets. European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics.79, 3, 627 - 634.
Sheraz Khan, Hannah Batchelor, Peter Hanson, Yvonne Perrie, and Afzal R Mohammed (2011) Physicochemical characterisation, drug polymer dissolution and in vitro evaluation of Phenacetin and Phenylbutazone solid dispersions with polyethylene glycol 8000. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 100, 10, 4281-4294.
Hesham Tawfeek, Sayed Khidr, Eman Samy, Sayed Ahmed, Mark Murphy, Afzal Mohammed, Anjum Shabir, Gillian Hutcheon, Imran Saleem (2011). Poly(glycerol adipate-co-ω-pentadecalactone) spray dried microparticles as sustained release carriers for pulmonary delivery. Pharmaceutical Research 28,9, 2086- 2097.
Anjumn Shabir, Farhan AlHusban, Yvonne Perrie and Afzal R Mohammed (2011). Effects of ball-milling on PLGA polymer and its implication on lansoprazole-loaded nanoparticles. Journal of Basic and Clinical Pharmacy,2,2,71-82.
Sheraz Khan, Amr ElShaer , Ayesha S Rahman, Peter Hanson, Yvonne Perrie, and Afzal R Mohammed(2011). Systems biology approach to study permeability of paracetamol and its solid dispersion.International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 417, 1-2, 272-279.
Sheraz Khan, Amr ElShaer, Ayesha S Rahman, Peter Hanson, Yvonne Perrie and Afzal R Mohammed (2011). Genomic evaluation during permeability of indomethacin and its solid dispersion. Journal of Drug Targeting 19, 8, 615-23.
Behfar Moghaddam, M. Habib Ali, Jitinder Wilkhu, Daniel J. Kirby, Afzal R. Mohammed, Qinguo Zheng and Yvonne Perrie (2011). The application of monolayer studies in the understanding of liposomal formulations. International Journal of Pharmaceutics 417(1-2):235-44.
Sagida Bibi, Randip Kaur, Malou Henriksen-Lacey, Sarah E. McNeil, Jitinder Wilkhu, Dennis Christensen, Else Marie Agger, Peter Andersen, Afzal Mohammed and Yvonne Perrie (2011). Microscopy Imaging of bilayer vesicles: From coverslips to environmental SEM. International Journal of Pharmaceutics 417(1-2):138-50.
Amr ElShaer, Sheraz Khan, Dhaya Perumal, Peter Hanson and Afzal R Mohammed (2011). Use of amino acids as counter ions improves the solubility of the BCS II model drug, indomethacin.Current Drug Delivery 8(4):363-72.
Farhan AlHusban, Amr ElShaer, Rhys Jones and Afzal R Mohammed (2010). Recent patents and trends in formulation of orally disintegrating tablet. Journal of Recent patents in formulation and drug delivery; 4, 3, 178-197.
Anjumn Shabir and Afzal R Mohammed (2010). Exploring the use of cyclodextrins as carriers in paediatric formulations. The British Journal of Clinical Pharmacy; 2,9, 275-278.
Afzal R Mohammed, Vincent W. Bramwell, Daniel J. Kirby, Srah E.McNeil and Yvonne Perrie (2010). Increased potential of a cationic liposome-based delivery system: Enhancing stability and sustained immunological activity in preclinical development. European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics; 76,3, 404- 412.
M Habib Ali, Daniel J Kirby, Afzal.R. Mohammedd , and Y. Perrie (2010) Solubilisation of drugs within liposomal bilayers – alternatives to cholesterol as a membrane stabilising agent. Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology; 62, 11, 1646-1655.
AlHusban, F., Perrie, Y., Mohammed, A.R (2010) Formulation and characterisation of lyophilised rapid disintegrating tablets using amino acids as matrix forming agents. European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics; 75, 2, 254-262.
AlHusban FA, ElShaer A, Kansara J, Smith A, Grover L, Perrie Y, Mohammed A(2010) - Investigation of Formulation and Process of Lyophilised Orally Disintegrating Tablet (ODT) Using Novel Amino Acid Combination. Pharmaceutics; 2 (1): 1-17.
AlHusban, F., Mohammed, A (2010) Novel zero saccharide orally disintegrating tablets. Industrial Pharmacy, 26, 16-18.
Alhusban FA, Perrie Y, Mohammed A (2010) Preparation, optimisation and characterisation of lyophilised rapid disintegrating tablets based on gelatin and saccharide. Current Drug Delivery; 7: 65-75.
Rahul Chandrasekhar, Zahra Hassan, Farhan AlHusban, Alan M Smith, Afzal R Mohammed (2009) The role of formulation excipients in the development of lyophilized fast disintegrating tablets. European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics 72(1):119-29.
Hofmann, MP, Mohammed AR, Perrie Y, Gbureck U, Barralet JE.(2009) High Strength brushite bone cement with controlled drug releasing capabilities. Acta Biomaterialia 5, 1, 43-49.
Yvonne Perrie, Afzal R Mohammed, Daniel Kirby, Sarah Mcneil and Vincent W Bramwell and (2008) Vaccine adjuvant systems: enhancing the efficacy of sub-unit protein antigens. International Journal of Pharmaceutics 364-2, 272-280.
Yvonne Perrie, Daniel Kirby, Vincent W Bramwell and Afzal R Mohammed (2007). Recent developments in particulate-based vaccines. Recent Patents on Drug Delivery and Formulation 1: 2: 1-13.
Mohammed, A. R, Coombes, AGA, Fitzgerald, M and Perrie,Y (2007). Amino acids as potential cryoprotectants for Liposomal delivery systems. European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences; 30; 406-413.
Afzal R. Mohammed, Allan.G.A. Coombes, Vincent W Bramwell, and Yvonne Perrie (2006). Lyophilisation and sterilisation of liposomal vaccines to produce stabile and sterile products. Methods; 40: 1; 30-38.
Yvonne Perrie, Afzal U. R. Mohammed, Anil Vangala, and Sarah E. McNeil (2006) Environmental Scanning Electron Microscopy offers real-time morphological analysis of liposomes andniosomes. Journal of Liposome Research 17 (1); 27-37.
Mohammed, A.R and Perrie, Y (2005) Liposome solutions for sparingly soluble drugs. Drug Delivery Companies Report; 9-11.
A.R. Mohammed, A.G.A Coombes, Bock. N, M. Fitzgerald and Y. Perrie (2004). Liposome formulation of poorly water soluble drugs: optimization of drug loading and ESEM analysis of stability. International Journal of Pharmaceutics 285; 1-2; 23-34.
My research group has published over 80 peer reviewed abstracts at various national and international conferences.
Affiong Iyire, Craig Russell, Clifford Bailey and Afzal R Mohammed (2014) Investigating buccal cell cultures to enhance assessment of transmucosal drug delivery. UKICRS newsletter.
Ali Al-khattawi, Hamad Alyami, Afzal R Mohammed (2013) A Systematic Investigation of D-Mannitol Functionality in the Development of Age-Appropriate Formulations CRS newsletter.
Amr ElShaer and Afzal R Mohammed (2011). Improving drug properties of chemotherapeutic agents using amino acids. UKICRS newsletter 8-11.
·Perrie Yand Mohammed AR (2009). Pharmaceutics: A New Open-access journal for all those interested in designing medicines. 1(1), 1-2.
- Dry particle coating device – date of filing 30th October 2014
- UK Patent application number 1206802.9 – date of filing :18th April 2012
- ACH/P108627GB00 - 16th November 2009
- SCB/HMC/P111450GB00 - 9th April 2010
1. Eman Dahmash, Afzal R Mohammed, Karen Thompson (2015) Designing Fixed Dose Combination for Elderly and Paediatric Populations.
2. Affiong Iyire and Afzal R Mohammed (2014) Multiparticulates for paediatrics
3. Tom Dennison, Ali AlKhattawi, David Terry and Afzal R Mohammed (2014) Developing medicines for children, with emphasis on the implications of the regulations and development process for the prescriber – Neonatal and Paediatric prescribing
4. Tom Dennison, Ali AlKhattawi, David Terry and Afzal R Mohammed (2014) Extemporaneous Preparation of Medicines for Children - Neonatal and Paediatric prescribing
5. Afzal R Mohammed and Craig A Russell (2012). Drug Development and Delivery. Intergrated Foundations of Pharmacy – Pharmaceutics.
6. Jitinder Wilkhu, Anil Vangala, Afzal R Mohammed and Yvonne Perrie (2011) Delivery of antigens using non-ionic surfactant based vesicles.
7. Afzal R. Mohammed, Amr M. ElShaer, Rhys J. Jones, Sheraz Khan, Craig A. Russell (2011) Drug Bioavailability and Gene Profiling: Challenges and Opportunities for Pharmaceutics and Personalised Medicine. Handbook of Personalized Medicine: Advances in Nanotechnology, Drug Delivery and Therapy
8. Christensen D, Korsholm K, Wood KJ, Mohammed AM, Bramwell VW, Agger EM and Perrie Y (2008) Liposomes as adjuvant systems for parenteral delivery of vaccines. Delivery Technologies for Biopharmaceuticals: Peptides, Proteins, Nucleic Acids and Vaccines.
9. Perrie Y, Ali H, Kirby DJ, Mohammed AU, McNeil SE, Vangala A. Environmental Scanning Electron Microscope Imaging of Vesicle Systems. Methods in Molecular Biology 606:319-31.