Quick and easy visual field analysis
The Aston Perimetry Tool is a low cost, robust and portable instrument designed for the qualitative assessment of visual field.
Benefits of the tool include:
- It allows quick kinetic perimetry testing, as well as central field analysis, with white or red visual stimuli
- The tool is quick and easy to use with simple instructions provided
- The tool is 33 cm in length and determines correct positioning of the visual stimuli
- Can not only locate scotomas, but their extent
can be mapped out too
- It offers patients and practitioners an alternative to automated devices for visual field analysis.
A vital piece of equipment on a range of situations
Although visual field analysis is commonly tested using automated equipment in the UK, it is not possible to use these methods for all patients. Situations where the Aston Perimetry Tool can be vital include:
- When testing patients who live in care homes
and are unable to visit a practice or hospital
- Testing patients who
cannot cope with repeated cognitive and visual testing using automated devices
- In countries where automated visual
field analysers are too expensive or unavailable.
Standardising visual field assessment
Medical specialists, such as
optometrists, ophthalmologists and neurologists, have previously used an array of
visual stimuli when carrying out qualitative visual field analysis. Tests have involved hands, fingers, coloured squares and circles, hat pins and
coloured medicine bottle tops - none of which are likely to produce
accurate or repeatable results. Now with the development of Aston
Perimetry Tool practitioners can adopt a standardised testing procedure
that can produce accurate, reliable and repeatable results in the
qualitative assessment of visual field.