Aston Business School Scholarship Award Scheme 2016/17 Malaysian students can apply for an undergraduate scholarship award of up to £3,500. See more here.
Aston Excellence - £5,000
We are pleased to announce we will be offering Malaysian students the opportunity to make an application for an Aston Excellence Scholarship, entitling them to a £5,000 reduction on tuition fees. Full terms and conditions can be found here.
Yeoh Tiong Lay PhD Scholarship (Full-Time) in Ethical Business Leadership and Ethical Business Leadership Development
This grant has been made possible thanks to the generosity of Aston University Honorary Graduates Dato Yeoh Seok Hong and Datin Kathleen Chew Wai Lin.
The Yeoh Tiong Lay PhD Studentship invites prospective Malaysian students to submit a research proposal in the areas of ethical leadership and/or ethical leadership development that extends our current knowledge and understanding of these issues within a Malaysian business context. Proposals that effectively integrate related fields and theory (e.g. ethical leadership, cross-cultural leadership, and organizational justice) in new and interesting ways will be viewed particularly positive. While we encourage proposals that involve all research methods (quantitative, qualitative and/or mixed methods), a significant quantitative component to proposals is required.
Ideally, we are looking for applications from individuals with an MSc in OB, Work and Organizational Psychology, or HRM (or a related discipline) at merit or distinction level, or an equivalent qualification. Informal enquiries can be made to Dr Jonathan Crawshaw (email@example.com) or Dr Yves Guillaume (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The Award/Financial Support:
For 3 years, the successful student will receive an annual £30,000 grant (total £90,000). This will cover the student’s annual fees (full fee waiver), accommodation and living costs, and any research related costs (e.g. conference attendance, attendance at external training courses, and ad hoc data collection costs). Students will be expected to be based on campus at Aston University in the UK.
Selection will be based on the evaluation of a completed Online Application Form and a detailed Research Proposal (5000 words max) submitted by candidates as well as two academic reference letters. The Research Proposal should:
1. State clearly the aims and objectives of your research.
2. State clearly the proposed gaps in currently academic knowledge and the contributions this new research would make.
3. Outline the practical benefits of this research for key organizational stakeholders, i.e. employees, managers, and/or the organization.
4. Provide a critical review of the current (relevant) academic literature that informs your research aims/objectives.
5. Develop a model including possible hypotheses and/or research questions
6. Provide a methodology that outlines your proposed research strategy and design and data collection methods and sample including a plan how access to collecting data will be secured, data analyzed, and a timetable specifying when each of these stages will be completed
7. Present a complete reference list.
Eligible applicants should hold at least a Bachelor (Hons.) Degree of either First Class or Upper Second Class, and hold a Master’s Degree (MSc/MRes) with both 65% in both taught and dissertation elements, in a relevant Business Management discipline. However, we particularly encourage applications from those with a background and current interest in the fields of HRM, Organisational Behaviour, and/or Work / Organisational Psychology.
· Malaysian applicants will need to demonstrate adequate proficiency in English Language skills, with a minimum overall IELTS score of 6.5 (with a minimum score in each section of R and W of 6.5 and L and S of 6.0)
· The successful candidate will be able to show they are curious, open minded, and creative, demonstrate an organized, conscientious and autonomous working style, and show the potential to communicate effectively with both a business and academic audience. They should also be a critical and practical problem solver.
· Excellent research acumen and skills in writing and presentation for a variety of audiences, both professional and lay are also essential.
· A strong background in quantitative research methods and advanced statistics (e.g., EFA, CFA, mediation, moderation in SPSS, AMOS or MPlus or related software packages) alongside basic knowledge in qualitative research methods is desirable (but by no means a criteria for exclusion).
· The Studentship is fully funded for 3 years, subject to a satisfactory progress review at the end of the first and second year. Submission within 4 years is required, with registration fees paid for the fourth year if required. The anticipated registration/start date is October 2016.
How to Apply
Complete the on-line application form at http://www.aston.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/apply/ quoting the reference ‘YEOH2016’ on all applications. Attach to the application your Research Proposal and, where relevant, a written sample of your previous research work (for example your Masters Dissertation or Project).
The Closing Date for Applications is: June 30th 2016
Malaysian students studying at Aston University partner institutions are eligible for a 10% discount on tuition fees. See here for more information.
Aston Alumni qualify for an automatic 20% discount on tuition fees
Malaysian students may be eligible for funding provided by our partners and external sources of funding. Information can be found here.