To ensure that you will be successful in your studies at Aston, we look for strong evidence that you have a good level of written and spoken English before you are accepted onto any of Aston's programmes. This is to ensure that you are able to cope with the demands of our programmes.
To be accepted onto our programmes, you must be able to satisfy the University's English language requirements. The level required will depend on the programme you are applying for.
- runs a selection of pre-sessional English language programmes for students
- is an IELTS test centre so you can register for IELTS classes and tests
Note: Acceptability of TOEFL (30 April 2015)
Which English Language test should I take?
The Home Office have recently made some changes to the list of acceptable English Language tests that you can use to apply for a Tier 4 visa.
In September 2014, the Home Office removed TOEFL from the list of approved English Language test providers. UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) is a division of the Home Office responsible for the UK visa system. From the academic year 2015/6, we will not be able to accept TOEFL for programmes below degree level such as Foundation programmes, but we will continue to accept it for entry onto our Undergraduate and Postgraduate programmes and we will be able to issue your CAS to support your overseas Tier 4 Visa application if you are holding suitable entry levels.
Please note, this change will only affect you if you are planning to study on a Pre-sessional programme or a Foundation course at Aston University.
If you have been made an offer for direct entry on to an undergraduate or postgraduate programme, then we will still accept a range of qualifications as evidence of your English Language ability, and you are NOT required to provide evidence of these for a Tier 4 visa application.
If you have been asked to provide evidence of an IELTS Academic test (not the IELTS General test) at a certain level, there are now two to choose from.
- A standard IELTS Academic test
- IELTS Academic test from a UKVI approved test centre.
The following applies to those who need a Tier 4 visa and have been made an offer based on an IELTS score:
- If you have a direct entry unconditional offer for an undergraduate or postgraduate programme, you can take any IELTS Academic test, whether from a UKVI approved centre or not.
- If you require a Pre-sessional course, or have been made an unconditional offer for a Foundation year you must take your IELTS Academic test from a UKVI approved test centre.
- If you are not sure which to choose, we strongly recommend that you take the UKVI approved test.
If you have an existing IELTS test that was taken before the 6th April 2015, then this will still be accepted for entry onto ANY programme at Aston, and can still be used for a Tier 4 Visa application
If you have any further questions, please contact Christina Bunbury, Visa Compliance Manager on email@example.com, alternatively please contact the International Office on http://www.aston.ac.uk/international-students/contact/