Aston University provides a generic wireless network called “Aston General Access” which allows you to:
- Browse secure and insecure Internet web sites (using http or https)
- Access remote email services; if they are based on one of the standard systems: web based, pop/smtp or imap
- Access University published services, such as the Blackboard VLE and student email (these may require University accounts to gain access)
Please note there are some restricted websites on the Aston General Access wireless network.
Download instructions and software
Aston General Access can be configured on both Linux and Windows operating systems. To configure your wireless settings please choose the relevant download instructions for your operating system (guides in Adobe PDF format):
Once you have connected to the wireless network you will need to go through an authentication process to identify yourself to the network. This can be done via:
- Valid Aston University credentials i.e. username and password
- Log on as a guest user – this provides the service but with restricted bandwidth
For instructions on how to authenticate please download the Authentication Process Document.