Below are instructions on how to connect to a shared folder. Before you can connect to a shared folder you will need to request permission from the share manager (this is usaully the head of group or department), and send the confirmation e-mail to the IT Helpdesk.
Before you can connect to the share you will need to know the following information:
Right click on the Computer icon on the desktop. From the drop down list, choose Map Network Drive.
Pick a drive letter that you want to use to access the shared folder and then type in the UNC path to the folder. UNC path is just a special format for pointing to a folder on another computer. You first use two slashes “\\” and then the server name, \\testcomp and then another “\” followed by the shared folder path, \\testcomp\foldername.
Make sure there is a tick next to “Reconnect at logon” to make the connection permanent. This means when you next log on the shared file store will still be available to you.
Open My Computer and click on the Tools menu option. From the drop down list, choose Map Network Drive.
1. While in Finder open the Go menu and select Connect to Server... (or press command+K)
2. The Connect to Server window will open
3. In the Server Address field type the following:
where ServerName is the Server Name and SharedFolderPath is the Shared Folder Path provided by ITS, for example smb://nas/shared/its_public.If you wish to connect to your Home Folder (H: drive) you need to enter the following:
4. If you wish you can click the + button to store this address as a favourite. By default the Connect to Server window will remember the last shared folder you tried to connect to so it's a good idea to check it works before adding it as a favourite.
5. Click the Connect button and the shared folder should open in the Finder