Last year the University spent £3.5 million pounds on energy, which emitted around 7,600 tonnes of CO2e into the atmosphere.
We have a target to reduce our carbon emissions by 53% in 2020, compared to what we used in 2005/6. Although we’ve reduced by 32%, we’ve still got a way to go and we need help from all staff and students to help us achieve this:
- Please switch off lights in unoccupied rooms or if it’s sunny outside.
- Switch off electrical equipment when it’s not needed. Don’t be tempted to leave things in standby mode!
- Switch your PC off fully (at the plug) when leaving work.
- Layer up and turn down radiator valves when the heating is on.
- Get fit and take the stairs instead of taking the lift, especially for short journeys. Stair climbing burns more calories than jogging!
- If you have air-conditioning running, ensure you close all doors and windows and that it only turns on after 23oC.
- Don’t be a drip! Ensure you turn off taps fully to reduce wastage.
- Report all leaks or toilets constantly flushing to the estate helpdesk
- Any suggestions on how we can save energy? Please get in touch.