Phone number: 0121 204 3660
Room number: MB154A
I am a professor of Computer Science. I am also active in the European Bioenergy Research Institute (EBRI).
I served as Executive Dean of the School of Engineering and Applied Science from September 2008 to January 2014. Prior to this I had worked for IBM Corporation from 1987 to 2008. Most recently I was an IBM Distinguished Engineer at IBM, Hursley. I served as IBM’s Technical Advisor to Barclays Group. Before that I was Chief Technology Officer for Messaging technology.
My background is in complex systems software with particular focus on performance and the issues involved in delivering different aspects of Quality of Service
Qualifications & Education
- BA, Computer Sciences, The University of Texas at Austin, 1978
- PhD, Computer Sciences, The University of Texas at Austin, 1983
- 2014 – date: Professor, School of Engineering and Applied Science, Aston University.
- 2008 – 2014: Professor and Executive Dean, School of Engineering and Applied Science, Aston University.
- 2007 – date: Visiting Professor, Department of Computing, Imperial College London.
- 1987 - 2008: IBM Distinguished Engineer, IBM Corporation. Hawthorne (New York), Austin (Texas), Hursley (UK).
- Technical Advisor, Barclays Group
- CTO, Messaging Technology
- 1983 – 1987. Software Engineer, Boole and Babbage, Inc. Austin (Texas).
- CS 2160 Professional and Social Aspects of Computing
- Introducing technology and social change into the Punjab to address the challenge of open field burning of agricultural residues. www.energy-harvest.org
Recent research funding
- Support from the Oglesby Charitable Trust for the EnergyHarvest project (2012-2014)
Membership of Professional Bodies