+44 (0)121 204 3660
EAS School Centre, MB154A
I am a professor of Computer Science. I am also active in the European Bioenergy Research Institute (EBRI).
I served as Executive Dean of the School of Engineering and Applied Science from September 2008 to January 2014. Prior to this I had worked for IBM Corporation from 1987 to 2008. Most recently I was an IBM Distinguished Engineer at IBM, Hursley. I served as IBM’s Technical Advisor to Barclays Group. Before that I was Chief Technology Officer for Messaging technology. My background is in complex systems software with particular focus on performance and the issues involved in delivering different aspects of Quality of Service
Qualifications & Education
- BA, Computer Sciences, The University of Texas at Austin, 1978
- PhD, Computer Sciences, The University of Texas at Austin, 1983
- 2014 – date: Professor, School of Engineering and Applied Science, Aston University.
- 2008 – 2014: Professor and Executive Dean, School of Engineering and Applied Science, Aston University.
- 2007 – date: Visiting Professor, Department of Computing, Imperial College London.
- 1987 - 2008: IBM Distinguished Engineer, IBM Corporation. Hawthorne (New York), Austin (Texas), Hursley (UK).
- Technical Advisor, Barclays Group
- CTO, Messaging Technology
- 1983 – 1987. Software Engineer, Boole and Babbage, Inc. Austin (Texas).
- CS 2160 Professional and Social Aspects of Computing
- Introducing technology and social change into the Punjab to address the challenge of open field burning of agricultural residues. www.energy-harvest.org
Recent research funding
- Support from the Oglesby Charitable Trust for the EnergyHarvest project (2012-2014)
Membership of Professional Bodies
Nixon, JD, Dey, PK, Davies, PA, Sagi, S & Berry, RF 2014, 'Supply chain optimisation of pyrolysis plant deployment using goal programming' Energy, vol 68, pp. 262–271.
Vasudevan, P, Sen, PK, Singh, SN, Singh, P, Davies, P, Dey, PK & Berry, R 2013, 'Trigeneration using biomass energy for sustainable development' International journal of energy sector management, vol 7, no. 3, pp. 309-320.
Sagi, Sudhakar; Patel, A.; Hornung, Andreas; Singh, H.; Apfelbacher, Andreas and Berry, Robert (2012).
Decentralised off-grid electricity generation in India using intermediate pyrolysis of residue straws. IN: World Renewable Energy Forum (WREF) 2012.Fellows, Cheryl (ed.) Red Hook NY (US): Curran.
B. White Eagle, M. J. Ward, R. F. Berry, “Extending Quality of Service into the Timeliness domain through platform design choice and guided execution of measurement plans “, IBM Research Report, 2007.
R. F. Berry, P.E. McKenney, F.N. Parr, “Responsive systems: an introduction to the IBM Systems Journal special issue on Real-time and Event Based Systems”, IBM Systems Journal, V. 47, No. 2, 2008
D. Pearce, M. Webster, P. Kelly, R. Berry, "Profiling with AspectJ”, Software Practice and Experience, 2006.
R.F. Berry, ”Trends, Challenges and Opportunities for Performance Engineering with Modern Business Software", Proceedings of the UK Performance Engineering Workshop, Warwick, July, 2003. (Also in IEE Proceedings, Software, Vol. 150, No. 4., August 2003.)
J. Davies, N. Huismans, R. Slaney, S. Whiting, M. Webster, R. Berry, “An Aspect Oriented Performance Analysis Environment”, Aspect Oriented Software Development Conference, Boston, 2003.
Real-time, Event-based and Time Dependent Systems, IBM Systems Journal, Volume 47, No.2, 2008. Conceived, organised, co-edited this special issue.