0121 204 3548
I joined the Aston Institute of Photonic Technologies (previous Photonics Research Group) in the School of Engineering & Applied Science at Aston University in 1994, and was appointed to a Lecturer in 2001 and a Professor in 2005. During my 19 years at Aston University, I have been mainly researching in the area of advanced fibre grating devices, technologies and applications and published over 400 papers in peer-review journals and international conferences.
Qualifications & Education
- BA in Physics, Suzhou University, China, 1978
- PhD in Physics, Sussex University, UK, 1990
- 2005 – to date: Professor of Photonics, School of Engineering & Applied Science, Aston University.
- 2001 – 2005: Lecturer, School of Engineering & Applied Science, Aston University.
- 1997 – 2001: Senior Research Fellow, School of Engineering & Applied Science, Aston University.
- 1994 – 1997: Research Fellow, Photonics Research Group, Aston University
- 1990 – 1994: Postdoc Research Fellow, Department of Physics, Sussex University
- 1979 – 1986: Lecturer, Physics Department, Suzhou University, China
- First Year Undergraduate Module on Physical Principles and Electric Circuits
- Final Year Undergraduate Module on Optoelectronics
- Supervising Final Year and MSc projects
- Fibre and guidewave optics
- Interferometric optics
- Fibre grating devices and applications
- Fibre lasers
- Optical sensors and sensing technologies
- Femtosecond laser technology
- Micro/nano photonic structures and devices
Recent research funding
- EPSRC Programme Grant as co-investigator: EP/J017582/1 UNLOC
- FP7-PEOPLE-2012-IIF: SOFST
- FP7-PEOPLE-2011-IIF: MIDFIL
Currently supervising 5 PhD students
Membership of Professional Bodies~
IoP, OSA, IEEE
1. A. Adebayo, Z. Yan, L. Zhang, and D. Robinson,“Power tapping function in near infra-red region based on 45° tilted fiber gratings” Optics and photonics journal, Vol.3 No.2, 158-162 2013
2. P. Li, Z. Yan, K. Zhou, L. Zhang, and J. Leng, "Monitoring static shape memory polymers using a fiber Bragg grating as a vector-bending sensor," Optical Engineering 52(1), 014401-014401 (2013).
3. Z. Yan, H. Wang, K. Zhou, Y. Wang, W. Zhao, and L. Zhang, "Broadband Tunable All-Fiber Polarization Interference Filter Based on 45°Tilted Fiber Gratings," J. Lightwave Technol. 31(1), 94-98 (2013).
4. Z. Yan, K. Zhou, and L. Zhang, "In-fiber linear polarizer based on UV-inscribed 45o tilted grating in polarization maintaining fiber," Opt. Lett. 37(18), 3819-3821 (2012).
5. Zhijun Yan, Hushan Wang, Kaiming Zhou, Yishan, Wang, Cheng Li, Wei Zhao, Lin Zhang “All-fiber mode locking fiber laser with an intra-cavity all-fiber polarization interference filter” Opt. Lett., vol. 37, 21, 4522-4524
6. Xianglian Liu, Hushan Wang, Zhijun Yan, Yishan Wang, Wei Zhao, Wei Zhang, Lin Zhang, Zhi Yang, Xiaohong Hu, Xiaohui Li, Deyuan Shen, Cheng Li, Guangde Chen, “All-fiber normal-dispersion single-polarization passively mode-locked laser based on a 45°-tilted fiber grating” Optics Express. 08/2012; 20(17):19000-19005
7. Pouneh Saffari, Zhijun Yan, Kaiming Zhou, Lin Zhang, " Refractive index and temperature sensitivity characteristics of a micro-slot fiber Bragg grating"，Applied optics, Vol. 51, No. 21 4715-4721, 2012
8. Zhijun Yan, Chenbo Mou, Hushan Wang, Kaiming Zhou, Yishan, Wang, Wei Zhao, Lin Zhang, "All-fiber polarization interference filters based on 45°-tilted fiber gratings," Opt. Lett., vol. 37, pp. 353-355, 2012
9. Zhijun Yan, Chenbo Mou, Kaiming Zhou, Xianfeng Chen, and Lin Zhang, “UV-inscription, polarisation dependant loss characteristics and applications of 45º tilted fibre gratings”, IEEE Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 29(18), 2715-2724, 2011
10. Kaiming Zhou,Zhijun Yan, Lin Zhang, and Ian Bennion, “Refractometer based on fiber Bragg grating Fabry-Pérot cavity embedded with a narrow microchannel”, Optics Express, 19, 11769, 2011
11. B.N. Nyushkov, A.V. Ivanenko, S.M. Kobtsev, S.K. Turitsyn, C. Mou, L. Zhang, V.I. Denisov, and V.S. Pivtsov, “Gamma-shaped long-cavity normal-dispersion mode-locked Er-fiber laser for sub-nanosecond high-energy pulsed generation”, Laser Phys. Lett., 1–9 (2011) / DOI 10.1002/lapl.201110088.
12. C. Koutsides, E. Davies, K. Kalli, M. Komodromos, D. J. Webb, and L. Zhang, “Superstructure fiber gratings via single step femtosecond laser inscription”, Journal of Lightwave Technology, DOI 10.1109/JLT.2011.2175702 , 2011
13. C. Koutsides, K. Kalli, D. J. Webb, and L. Zhang, “Characterizing femtosecond laser inscribed Bragg grating spectra”, Optics Express V.19, Issue 1, pp.342-352, 2011